Flowers Around The House

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Re: Flowers Around The House

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 pm

While watering the houseplants the other day we got a surprise. The pineapple was starting to bear fruit.
IMG_9276.JPG
Attachments
IMG_9282.JPG
Last edited by Fred the Cat on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Nice, I just ate a pineapple pizza. Mmm, bromeliads.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 am

Wow, fantastic, Fred! :D

And I don't like pizza much myself, but a pineapple pizza... I won't say no to that! :chomp:

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 am

It's become a bit of a thing to hate on people who like pineapple on their pizzas. I always thought everyone loved pineapple on pizza, because why not? It's so delicious. Apparently a lot of people despise it. Of course, reading their vitriolic anti-pineapple pizza messages only made me hungry.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm

geckzilla wrote:It's become a bit of a thing to hate on people who like pineapple on their pizzas. I always thought everyone loved pineapple on pizza, because why not? It's so delicious. Apparently a lot of people despise it. Of course, reading their vitriolic anti-pineapple pizza messages only made me hungry.
I love pizza- it's close to the perfect food. But I'm not particularly fond of pineapple. A little bit on pizza (with something like ham to offset the sickly sweetness) is okay, but there are much better choices for toppings, IMO.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Hmm, sickly sweet is not how I would describe my ideal pineapple. It's more sour or tart than anything. Sweet, sure, but it's gotta have a good sour flavor to complement its own sweetness and the salty ham. But yeah, I have come to accept the inferiority of the general population in regard to its consensus on pineapple topping.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm

geckzilla wrote:Hmm, sickly sweet is not how I would describe my ideal pineapple. It's more sour or tart than anything. Sweet, sure, but it's gotta have a good sour flavor to complement its own sweetness and the salty ham. But yeah, I have come to accept the inferiority of the general population in regard to its consensus on pineapple topping.
The very best pizza has nothing but crushed tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. But that only works when all three are super fresh. There's a place an hour from here (in other words, the closest place to get pizza) that makes a great one with corned beef, cabbage, and horseradish.

Mostly, we make our own pizza. BBQ chicken is a good topping, if we've traded some milk or cheese for a chicken.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

The original reason my wife had bought a fresh pineapple for a pizza. She loves to propagate anything that roots. Before the pineapple her goal was to get an avocado to overwinter. Now it’s a monster.
IMG_9293.JPG
She made the pot too. No avocadoes expected but it would be a nice surprise. We’re happy with our baby Dole. :ssmile: Fred is the ham. :wink:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Fred the Cat wrote:The original reason my wife had bought a fresh pineapple for a pizza. She loves to propagate anything that roots. Before the pineapple her goal was to get an avocado to overwinter. Now it’s a monster.
IMG_9293.JPG
She made the pot too. No avocadoes expected but it would be a nice surprise. We’re happy with our baby Dole. :ssmile: Fred is the ham. :wink:
It can take 10 years or more before an avocado tree produces. Got to be patient with that one!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:The very best pizza has nothing but crushed tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. ...
Amen to that! San Marzano tomatoes, Mozzarella di Bufala, and home-grown basil -- on a home-made crust, of course. Yum!

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:The very best pizza has nothing but crushed tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. ...
Amen to that! San Marzano tomatoes, Mozzarella di Bufala, and home-grown basil -- on a home-made crust, of course. Yum!
We make our own mozzarella from fresh raw goat milk (if it tastes different from buffalo moz, I can't tell). Otherwise, just the same.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:35 pm

This is a very pleasant thread .. I used to buy cut flowers for my bachelor pad .. made it nice and homey .. and the honeys enjoyed them too .. I guess I should say the honey bees, but that might sting.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 am

I like pineapple and I like pizza; but I never tried them together! I think I'll stick to beef; mushroom; & onion with lots of sauce and mozzarella cheese! :wink: I like the pineapple on an ice cream sundae! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:50 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I like pineapple and I like pizza; but I never tried them together! I think I'll stick to beef; mushroom; & onion with lots of sauce and mozzarella cheese! :wink: I like the pineapple on an ice cream sundae! :D
I had to learn to enjoy pineapple on pizza, but once learned, is very pleasant, slows down the chewing and hightens enjoyment considerably.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Here are some beautiful Irises; and another white flower that I don't know the name of!
Attachments
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Beautiful, Orin! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Thanks Ann; Irises are so delicate! One of my favorites! 8-)
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:16 am

geckzilla wrote:Hmm, sickly sweet is not how I would describe my ideal pineapple. It's more sour or tart than anything. Sweet, sure, but it's gotta have a good sour flavor to complement its own sweetness and the salty ham. But yeah, I have come to accept the inferiority of the general population in regard to its consensus on pineapple topping.
Can't help popping in here. I quite agree that pineapples are so good because they are not just sweet, but sour or tart as well. Mangos, though, are sickly sweet indeed, and they are not for me.

But anyway, I just read (in a Swedish online tabloid) that the creator of the pineapple pizza, or the Hawaii pizza, Sam Panopoulos, has passed away at 83. Sam Panopoulos created the Hawaii pizza in 1962. He had emigrated to Canada from Greece in 1954 at the age of 20. With his brothers he started several popular restaurants, among them Satellite in Chatham, Ontario, where he got the idea of putting pineapple pieces on a pizza.

Rob, have you heard of him?

And Fred, how is your pineapple coming along? Any plans of inviting us all to your home for pizza? :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Pinapple.JPG
I was hoping it will be ready by eclipse time in August but apparently they may take while to ripen. You should come over for a taste of both. :idea:

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Ann wrote:...
But anyway, I just read (in a Swedish online tabloid) that the creator of the pineapple pizza, or the Hawaii pizza, Sam Panopoulos, has passed away at 83. Sam Panopoulos created the Hawaii pizza in 1962. He had emigrated to Canada from Greece in 1954 at the age of 20. With his brothers he started several popular restaurants, among them Satellite in Chatham, Ontario, where he got the idea of putting pineapple pieces on a pizza.

Rob, have you heard of him?
I have. Not sure if the pineapple pizza idea spread beyond Canada, but you can certainly get one almost anywhere in this country. I think it's gag-worthy, but that's free choice for ya. What is particularly disturbing to the purist in me is that it's getting almost impossible to get a Margherita pizza anywhere in Eastern Canada. From Wiki... "Pizza Margherita is a typical Neapolitan pizza, made with San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella fior di latte, fresh basil, salt and extra-virgin olive oil." So, I just make my own.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Ann wrote:But anyway, I just read (in a Swedish online tabloid) that the creator of the pineapple pizza, or the Hawaii pizza, Sam Panopoulos, has passed away at 83. Sam Panopoulos created the Hawaii pizza in 1962. He had emigrated to Canada from Greece in 1954 at the age of 20. With his brothers he started several popular restaurants, among them Satellite in Chatham, Ontario, where he got the idea of putting pineapple pieces on a pizza.
He claimed he invented that pizza. A dubious claim at best. It's certainly false that he was the first to put pineapple on pizza. The claim is that he first mixed ham and pineapple, but since those ingredients were used together in other foods, that's questionable as well.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:50 pm

From the Hawaiian Pizza page on Wikipedia...
Pineapple as a pizza topping divides public opinion: Hawaiian was the most popular pizza in Australia in 1999, accounting for 15% of pizza sales, and a 2015 review of independent UK takeaways operating through Just Eat found the Hawaiian pizza to be the most commonly available. However, a 2016 survey of US adults had pineapple in the top three least favourite pizza toppings, behind anchovies and mushrooms.
Very likely pineapple has been added to pizzas all over the world, independantly of the Canadian "invention" of that particular bad idea.

Rob

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Our cool weather this spring has allowed the columbines around the house to flourish.
IMG_9767.JPG
IMG_9765.JPG
Having lived in the mountains of Colorado, they are my wife's favorite. :ssmile:

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:10 am

There were columbines growing wild where I grew up -- south-eastern Ontario, Canada. I and most other kids would search for them in season and nibble the sweet 'honey' from the tiny bulbs at the end of the flower pettles. Did anyone else here do that? Try it, you'll like it.

Rob
(I trust there are no poisonous varieties of columbine?)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:45 am

rstevenson wrote:There were columbines growing wild where I grew up -- south-eastern Ontario, Canada. I and most other kids would search for them in season and nibble the sweet 'honey' from the tiny bulbs at the end of the flower pettles. Did anyone else here do that? Try it, you'll like it.

Rob
(I trust there are no poisonous varieties of columbine?)
There are more poisonous varieties than otherwise. Careful.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory