Dramatic plunge in the number of insects

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Dramatic plunge in the number of insects

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:34 am

The Guardian wrote:

The abundance of flying insects has plunged by three-quarters over the past 25 years, according to a new study that has shocked scientists.

Insects are an integral part of life on Earth as both pollinators and prey for other wildlife and it was known that some species such as butterflies were declining. But the newly revealed scale of the losses to all insects has prompted warnings that the world is “on course for ecological Armageddon”, with profound impacts on human society.

The new data was gathered in nature reserves across Germany but has implications for all landscapes dominated by agriculture, the researchers said...
This fall, unlike any other fall I can remember, I have had barely no fruit flies in my apartment during the time of year when I pick delicious but worm-eaten apples from an apple tree belonging to our condominium and bring the apples into my apartment. I get too many apples at a time, and even though I cut the obviously damaged ones open and remove the brown and worm-eaten parts of them, I have never managed to keep the fruit flies out of my apartment and prevent them from sharing my apple feast. Until this year, that is. I have barely had a fruit fly here, and there has been a welcome shortage of other annoying insects as well, such as wasps.

It's pretty terrible to think that this might be linked to a horrendous worldwide decline of insects, which make up two thirds of all life of Earth.

Ann
Color Commentator

Doum
A personalized rank.

Re: Dramatic plunge in the number of insects

Post by Doum » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 pm

I notice samething for my cherry tree and prune tree. i tought it was a late summer coming and cold nite that kill the insect. For the first time i have nice perfect cherry and prune . They were delicious. But my apple tree still have worm. May be less then the other years.

Dunno what to think about it but it was a good year for fruit tree i think.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm

http://www.beeculture.com/catch-buzz-insects-gone/ wrote:
CATCH THE BUZZ – Where have all the insects gone?

<<The Krefeld Entomological Society, has seen the yearly insect catches fluctuate, as expected. But in 2013 they spotted something alarming. When they returned to one of their earliest trapping sites from 1989, the total mass of their catch had fallen by nearly 80%. Perhaps it was a particularly bad year, they thought, so they set up the traps again in 2014. The numbers were just as low. Through more direct comparisons, the group—which had preserved thousands of samples over 3 decades—found dramatic declines across more than a dozen other sites.

Between 1970 and 2002, the biomass caught in the traps in southern England did not decline significantly. Catches in southern Scotland, however, declined by more than two-thirds during the same period. Bell notes that overall numbers in Scotland were much higher at the start of the study. “It might be that much of the [insect] abundance in southern England had already been lost” by 1970, he says, after the dramatic postwar changes in agriculture and land use.

The stable catches in southern England are in part due to constant levels of pests such as aphids, which can thrive when their insect predators are removed. Such species can take advantage of a variety of environments, move large distances, and reproduce multiple times per year. Some can even benefit from pesticides because they reproduce quickly enough to develop resistance, whereas their predators decline. “So lots of insects will do great, but the insects that we love may not,” Black says.

Other, more visible creatures may be feeling the effects of the insect losses. Across North America and Europe, species of birds that eat flying insects, such as larks, swallows, and swifts, are in steep decline. Habitat loss certainly plays a role, Nocera says, “but the obvious factor that ties them all together is their diet.”

Some intriguing, although indirect, clues come from a rare ecological treasure: decades’ worth of stratified bird droppings. Nocera and his colleagues have been probing disused chimneys across Canada in which chimney swifts have built their nests for generations. From the droppings, he and his colleagues can reconstruct the diets of the birds, which eat almost exclusively insects caught on the wing.

The layers revealed a striking change in the birds’ diets in the 1940s, around the time DDT was introduced. The proportion of beetle remains dropped off, suggesting the birds were eating smaller insects—and getting fewer calories per catch. The proportion of beetle parts increased slightly again after DDT was banned in the 1970s but never reached its earlier levels.

Paying attention to what E. O. Wilson calls “the little things that run the world” is worthwhile, Sorg says. “We won’t exterminate all insects. That’s nonsense. Vertebrates would die out first. But we can cause massive damage to biodiversity—damage that harms us.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

Kon Jek Toor

Post by Kon Jek Toor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 pm

"The fndings predated a similar dramatic decline in the number of humans on Earth." Post Apocolypse News

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Kon Jek Toor wrote:"The fndings predated a similar dramatic decline in the number of humans on Earth." Post Apocolypse News
Most insightful, Kon Jek Toor.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.