owlice

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: owlice

Post by owlice » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Elderly owl rescued in Fairfax County (Don't go there... I know you're thinking about it, but just... don't... )
When Leslie Carper glanced out the window of her Mount Vernon home Thursday morning, she saw something she said she had never seen in her suburban neighborhood: a bird of prey sitting on the sidewalk.

The chance sighting was one of many that would help save the starving barred owl, but the rescue would take four days, a host of concerned neighbors, a cherry picker and — perhaps most improbably — a set of towels.
More here.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Arctic owl found dehydrated; being nursed to health!
http://www.omaha.com/article/20121119/N ... 99918/1707
Hopefully she has a quick recovery
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

geckzilla

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 pm

'You Lookin' at Me?'

The satanic leaf-tailed gecko (Uroplatus phantasticus) is the smallest of 12 species of bizarre-looking leaf-tailed geckos. The nocturnal creature has extremely cryptic camouflage so it can hide out in forests in Madagascar. This group of geckos is found only in primary, undisturbed forests, so their populations are very sensitive to habitat destruction. Large Uroplatus species have more teeth than any other living terrestrial vertebrate species.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

KLEEP!

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect wrote:
<<The bystander effect or Genovese syndrome is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer any means of help in an emergency situation to the victim when other people are present. The probability of help has often appeared to be inversely related to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. The mere presence of other bystanders greatly decreases intervention. In general, this is believed to happen because as the number of bystanders increases, any given bystander is less likely to notice the situation, interpret the incident as a problem, and less likely to assume responsibility for taking action.

There are many reasons why bystanders in groups fail to act in emergency situations, but social psychologists have focused most of their attention on three main processes. In order for a person to help, they must first notice the situation, interpret it as an emergency, and take responsibility for helping. Based on early research, subsequent research looked at the ways in which each of these three decisions might be influenced by the presence of bystanders.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 am

The probability of help has often appeared to be inversely related to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help.
It's good for us that we only have one, then.

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 am

And he is always in charge here, working like a busy bee, we should call him non-bystander

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:36 am

Perhaps we should all 'chip-in' and get bystander a good set of cushioned foot pads to put in his shoes, so he won't get tired of standing by, in case help is needed :?: :?: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 am

Beyond wrote:Perhaps we should all 'chip-in' and get bystander a good set of cushioned foot pads to put in his shoes, so he won't get tired of standing by, in case help is needed :?: :?: :mrgreen:

I forgot, when was his birhtday? The foot pads also should be warm and antibacterial, it's winter and maybe he want wearing them the entire time.
What is his favorite color?

Sorry Owlice, this is getting OT.

Back to you.

My favorite Owl is the white owl tyto alba, sadly I havent saw a real one.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 am

No worries about the topic, Moonlady!

bystander's birthday is July 3; long time to wait for cushioned foot pads. Maybe getting them for him for Christmas is a better idea.

Since he's not going to be looking at the foot pads very much, I think the color probably doesn't matter.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Owlice, when she spots a 'spamer' in the Asterisk*.
thCAIF30I8.jpg
thCAIF30I8.jpg (7.51 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Owlice, after she's taken care of the 'spammer'. :spam:
th-2.jpg
th-2.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
She peddles glides through the beauty of the moonlit night on silent feathered wings, seeking where she may prey.

LOOK! Up in the sky, it's an Asteriskian... it's an owl... it's *GASP*... The Guardian of the Codes!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Beyond wrote:
Owlice, when she spots a 'spamer' in the Asterisk*.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 67#p146567
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Beyond, you got that right!! 8-)

Neufer, thanks for reminding me... I still have not got a Greek one-Euro coin! Maybe I need to list it on my Amazon wish list...

I do have a soft kitty, warm kitty, though:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am

I saw my first Tenerifean owl a few months back whilst I was beginning early-morning star gazing. I was head-back, trying to see which star was directly above me when a silently gliding bird slipped across my line of view. A bit magic. :) I hadn't known before then that there were owls on Tenerife, as I think of them as a northern bird.
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:I saw my first Tenerifean owl a few months back whilst I was beginning early-morning star gazing. I was head-back, trying to see which star was directly above me when a silently gliding bird slipped across my line of view. A bit magic. :) I hadn't known before then that there were owls on Tenerife, as I think of them as a northern bird.
Margarita
Living in the Canary Islands, i would think there would be plenty of birds there, including owls. Maybe one day the Asterisks* resident owl and Guardian of the Codes, will vacation there :?:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Gold star (or galaxy) for knowing that Tenerife is one of the Canary Isles! Lots of birds, including local subspecies, but I've not seen canaries. Wikipedia says: "Contrary to its name, the islands have little to nothing to do with the canary bird. Rather, it is the bird that is named after the islands, not the converse. The name Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin name Canariae Insulae, meaning "Island of the Dogs", a name applied originally only to Gran Canaria. According to the historian Pliny the Elder, the Mauritanian king Juba II named the island Canaria because it contained "vast multitudes of dogs of very large size". [19]" (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Islands)

Actually, we are a bit of a birders' paradise - and I'd guess that Owlice would be in 7th heaven! There are marvellous dark skies, I am told, on Mount Teide - where there is an observatory. When I get my wheelchair adapted vehicle, THAT is where I am a'headin'!
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:Gold star (or galaxy) for knowing that Tenerife is one of the Canary Isles! Lots of birds, including local subspecies, but I've not seen canaries. Wikipedia says: "Contrary to its name, the islands have little to nothing to do with the canary bird. Rather, it is the bird that is named after the islands, not the converse. The name Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin name Canariae Insulae, meaning "Island of the Dogs", a name applied originally only to Gran Canaria. According to the historian Pliny the Elder, the Mauritanian king Juba II named the island Canaria because it contained "vast multitudes of dogs of very large size". [19]" (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Islands)

Actually, we are a bit of a birders' paradise - and I'd guess that Owlice would be in 7th heaven! There are marvellous dark skies, I am told, on Mount Teide - where there is an observatory. When I get my wheelchair adapted vehicle, THAT is where I am a'headin'!
Margarita
I can't claim the Gold star (or galaxy), not only because i don't have a place to put them (who does :?: ), but i couldn't remember where Tenerife was, and Binged it. The explanation of what the word Canary refers to (dogs), i also heard toooo long ago to remember.

If you have really dark skies, that just may be an inducement for owlice to do a vacation there sometime, to be able to do some Good night viewing.
Gee, good weather, good viewing, plenty of birds, most likely many places to peddle a bicycle... Wait, is that the rustling of owl head feathers i hear, that is caused by serious thinking??

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Re Dark skies. Wikipedia again: (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teide_Observatory)
"The Observatorio del Teide (Teide Observatory) is an astronomical observatory on Tenerife operated by the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias. Opened in 1964, it became one of the first major international observatories, attracting telescopes from different countries around the world because of the good astronomical seeing conditions."
Re birds. There is a list here (http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.js ... owardmoore. I'm not sure if that will go to the Tenerife list. I'm not experienced at posting links). It is incomplete - I've got a better, locally produced, book that includes two owls and the very sweet tenerife-variant blue tit.
Re biking. LOTS of mountains!
I offer tea and cakes to all Asternauts - higher ranks get extra current buns!
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Meanwhile, in Florida.... *dramatic chord*

Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 pm

The image is totally mesmerising!

Hey - whilst posting on this thread I remembered that when I watched the video on the Antikethera (not in my spell-checker...) Mechanism that is posted on that thread (the longer video- I think there are two)
I discovered that the first
Cuckoo clock
Was actually an
.. :owl:OWL CLOCK! :owl:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 pm

So that's how owlice gets around when the distance is beyond her 'pedal-power'. 8-) :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 am

geckzilla wrote:Meanwhile, in Florida.... *dramatic chord*

This made our local news!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 pm

makc wrote:meh
Btw, the site in OP is hijacked for long time now, so you might want to take down the link. I mean, that how to draw owls tutorial I once posted here was taken down much quicker.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Yeah, 'cause I'm going to go to each old thread and re-check every link that's posted here periodically. Thanks for mentioning it for me.