BA: Denialism

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
makc
Commodore

Re: BA: Denialism

Post by makc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 pm

as expected, I don't care about the base :) but, I have been in that city once, and from what I have seen, and was told, ~half of jobs are directly or indirectly related to the base. if the base is gone, the jobs are gone. so obviously, for people who live there it is good thing; now when russia secured its base, it can invest more money into it, which sooner or later will reach those people. I don't see why people in some other city should have any say in this issue, but the democracy and constitution obviously require that we allow them to throw eggs in parliament. well, at least the video was only 2 minutes and somewhat entertaining.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

NS: Special report: Living in denial

Post by bystander » Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 am

Special report: Living in denial
New Scientist - 17 May 2010
(Woods Wheatcroft)
STATE OF DENIAL

• From climate change to vaccines, evolution to flu, denialists are on the march. Why are so many people refusing to accept what the evidence is telling them?

In this special feature we look at the phenomenon in depth. What is denial? What attracts people to it? How does it start, and how does it spread? And finally, how should we respond to it?
DEFINING DENIAL (Michael Shermer)
When a sceptic isn't a sceptic

• There are clear lines between scepticism and denial, but telling them apart can be tricky in the real world
WHOSE CONSPIRACY? (Debora MacKenzie)
Why sensible people reject the truth

• Denialism satisfies deep emotional needs. That makes it easy to encourage and hard to counter
SMOKESCREENS (Richard Littlemore)
How corporations manufacture doubt

• If the truth is inconvenient, put up a smokescreen instead. It works wonders for big business
PLAUSIBLE FALSEHOOD (Jim Giles)
Unleashing a lie

• It's easy to send a lie flying around the world, and almost impossible to shoot it down
THE D-WORD (Michael Fitzpatrick)
Questioning science isn't blasphemy

• Calling an opponent a denier is illiberal, intolerant and ineffective
FIGHTING BACK (Michael Shermer)
The truth is our only weapon

• We must let denialists be heard, and respond with patience, vigilance and tireless rebuttal

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: BA: Denialism

Post by Beyond » Fri May 21, 2010 8:34 pm

You guys are funny :!: :lol:
If i watch something i don't want to see on my computer, after it starts playing i simply pull up the microsoft solitaire. That way i can do something i like while listening to something i don't or may not like, which enables me to catch the parts (if any) in what i don't like, that appeal to me. I just call it multi-tasking.
What i like, keeps me on track to put up with what i don't like--too much.

I see that i have run out of structured electrons -- Its time for "Scotty" to beam me outta here. Adios Amigos
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.