Brain Freezer

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.

Brain Freezer

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 am

I know, this is way off subject of astronomy, but anyways....

Anyone know the answer? I think I do, but how do you make it into an algebraic equation? :)

Brain "Freezer"
A group of children went to Holman's Dairy to buy ice cream cones. Each child bought a double scoop cone with two flavors of ice cream. None of the children chose the same combination of flavors. Holman's Dairy has nine different flavors of ice cream: Vanilla, Maple, Chocolate, Toffee, Raspberry, Strawberry, Jamocha, Nutcracker, and Almond. How many children are there?

So:

Children: x
Ice cream: 2x
Flavors: 9

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Brain Freezer

Post by bystander » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:52 am

Don't know how many there were, but it had to be 36 or less (9C2 = 36). Might have been only 2. :wink:

The number of unique combinations of 9 objects taken 2 at a time: 9C2 = 9!/(2!7!) = (9x8)/2 = 36

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:58 am

bystander wrote:Don't know how many there were, but it had to be 36 or less (9C2 = 36). Might have been only 2. :wink:
My guess was 36.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

No mint chocolate chip?!?! :shock:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:22 pm

http://www.tvparty.com/lostpopeye8.html wrote:
<<James Clifton Holman (June 29, 1929 - September 8, 2008) performed with the puppet Mr. Bingle in the Birmingham, Al. viewing area from Monday, November 20th until Friday, December 22, 1950. After a stint serving in the military during the Korean War, Holman and his wife operated a dairy; he returned to TV for WABT channel 13's 'Tip Top Clubhouse as "Cousin Cliff" on March 15, 1954.

Sporting a black, long-tailed cutaway coat, striped t-shirt, bow tie and a black top hat with a white rabbit sticking out of the crown, Cousin Cliff engaged his viewers and studio audiences with magic tricks, puppet skits, riddles, contests, lip syncs and "Crayon Capers" where Holman would draw simple cartoons and add humorous commentary about the images. The series was retitled 'Cousin Cliff's Clubhouse' and the host changed his costume to a striped shirt and pants. The series was a big hit with the kids and Cousin Cliff was in high demand for personal appearances and charities like The March Of Dimes, United Cerebral Palsy and he Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Cousin Cliff continued with his WABT Clubhouse until September 15, 1958 when Holman began his long association with Popeye the Sailor.

ImageImage

Working against a simple flat and sporting a nautical cap, Cousin Cliff performed magic tricks, puppet skits and engaged his studio audiences in games, hobbies, informational segments and interviews with guest performers, personalities and members of the audience. The supporting cast included "Spongehead", "Little George" Fitchner and "Boo Boo" (the equally evil cousin of Popeye's arch foe Bluto) played by channel 13 staffer Thomas Adams. 'The Popeye Show' was Birmingham's highest-rated children's show, continuing until 1972 when Cousin Cliff's program became a victim of Action For Children's Television (ACT) drive to change local kid's TV fare.

Holman left for other venues but returned on the Alabama Cable TV Network on April 15, 1985. His new show was so successful that a year later he MC'd a second series for WDBB TV channel 17 in Tuscaloosa where he screened Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes movie cartoons. Unfortunately, ACT revived the Children's TV Bill in 1990 and Cousin Cliff was forced to remove cartoons and commercials from his show. His program moved to the local zoo where he used magic tricks to teach viewers mathematics but eventually the Alabama Cable TV Network was forced to pull the plug on 'The Cousin Cliff Show.'

Beloved kids' star 'Cousin Cliff' Holman died of Alzheimer's disease Monday night, September 8th. From the Birminghan News: "He's such a sweet guy," his daughter Lynn Brown said Monday night. "We're going to miss him so bad. He was good to all of us. He was just a good man. I'm going to miss him - corny jokes and everything.">>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 pm

I want a cherry nut and a butter brickle! Yum Yum :D I guess I have to go to a different Ice Cream Parlor.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I want a cherry nut and a butter brickle! Yum Yum :D I guess I have to go to a different Ice Cream Parlor.
Wow, butter brickle! It's been ages since I've had butter brickle ice cream. Yes, yum yum!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:47 pm

bystander wrote:Image

Fake Science
I froze my sinus a few times while eating ice cream! :shock: Is that what they call brain freeze? :roll: It only lasts a few seconds. If you eat slower it doesn't have to happen and you can enjoy your ice cream for a longer time. :D
Orin

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 pm

It has something to do with cooling your soft palate down so fast that the blood vessels quickly contract and relax when they warm back up. Solution? Don't let it touch the roof of your mouth.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 pm

owlice wrote: Wow, butter brickle! It's been ages since I've had butter brickle ice cream. Yes, yum yum!
I believe that some grocery stores carry a flavor called Butter Crunch that is similar if not the same. We used to get Butter Brickle cones at the dairy; but alas; that closed! :cry:
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:47 am

orin stepanek wrote:
owlice wrote: Wow, butter brickle! It's been ages since I've had butter brickle ice cream. Yes, yum yum!
I believe that some grocery stores carry a flavor called Butter Crunch that is similar if not the same. We used to get Butter Brickle cones at the dairy; but alas; that closed! :cry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_Brickle wrote:
<<Butter Brickle was the registered trademark of a toffee ice cream flavoring and of a toffee-centered chocolate-covered candy bar similar to the Heath bar. Butter Brickle ice cream was introduced to the world by the Blackstone Hotel in Omaha, Nebraska in the 1920s. The flavoring and the candy bar were produced by the Sioux Falls, South Dakota company, Fenn Bros. Ice Cream and Candy Co., until the company was liquidated in the 1970s, when the trademark and formula were sold to the makers of the Heath bar. A remnant of the name remains in "Heath Bits 'o Brickle Toffee Bits," sold by The Hershey Company, which acquired the Heath assets in 1996.

In the late 1950s and 1960s, Butter Brickle candy bars were advertised on radio and television with the slogan "Got a nickel? Butter Brickle,... candy bar!" delivered in an arch stage British accent.

In the Pixar Movie "Up", Russell tells his friend Carl that he and his father would sit on the curb and have an ice cream cone while counting cars. His father would always have a butter brickle cone. At the end of the movie, Carl and Russell are having ice cream on the curb and counting cars. It appears that Carl's cone is butter brickle.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes; it sounds like butter brickle is a flavor of the past. Sad! :cry: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/271225
I wish somebody would revive it.
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Butter Brickle was one of my favorites in High School. A local dairy, Braum's, had several Ice Cream Stores around town, and that was one of their feature flavors. You can still buy it packaged, occasionally, but can't get cones any more. Braum's eventually ran Baskin Robbins out of the state.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:47 pm

I miss Braum's. :(
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 am

geckzilla wrote:I miss Braum's. :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braum%27s wrote:
<<Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores is a family-owned and operated chain of fast-food restaurants and grocery stores based in Oklahoma City. It currently has 280 stores in Oklahoma and in parts of Texas, Oregon, Kansas, Arkansas, and Missouri. In order to maintain the freshness of its products, the company does not open stores outside of a 300-mile radius of the home farm in Tuttle. Braum's describes itself as the only major ice cream maker to still milk its own cows. They also produce the packaging used for their dairy products.

In 1957, Bill Braum purchased his family's ice cream processing business based in Emporia, Kansas, as well as its "Peter Pan" retail ice cream chain; ten years later, the Peter Pan stores were sold, under the condition that the Braum family not sell ice cream in Kansas for ten years. Braum's had some financial help from the popular series of Ernest commercials in the 1980s.

Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:28 pm

This thread was responsible for the purchase and consumption of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia and Mint Chocolate Chunk ice cream. In related news: Ice cream lasts MUCH longer around here when the kid is at camp.

That is all...

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:52 pm

It's incredibly hot here (triple digits) so I decided ice cream was in order. I went to Braum's and found Butter Brickle, brought home 3 pints (what happened to half gallons :? ). I'm enjoying it now. :twisted:

Man, that was good! Mmmm, Butter Brickle!

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 pm

bystander wrote:It's incredibly hot here (triple digits) so I decided ice cream was in order. I went to Braum's and found Butter Brickle, brought home 3 pints (what happened to half gallons :? ). I'm enjoying it now. :twisted:

Man, that was good! Mmmm, Butter Brickle!
  • Thanks for sharing, bystander. :-|
http://www.monticello.org/jefferson/dayinlife/dining/at.html wrote:
<<Ice cream frequently appears in visitors' accounts of meals with Thomas Jefferson. One visitor commented: "Among other things, ice-creams were produced in the form of balls of the frozen material inclosed in covers of warm pastry, exhibiting a curious contrast, as if the ice had just been taken from the oven."

Jefferson was able to enjoy ice cream throughout the year because ice was "harvested" from the Rivanna River in winter and taken to the Monticello ice house, which held sixty-two wagon-loads. The ice house located in Monticello's north dependency wing was used throughout the year primarily to preserve meat and butter, but also to chill wine and to make ice cream. In 1815, Jefferson noted, the ice supply lasted until October 15. While George Washington's papers contain a prior reference to an ice cream maker, the first American recipe for the dish is in Jefferson's hand.>>
Art Neuendorffer

swainy

Post by swainy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I must share this with you. I'm sitting in my front room. 3 feet away from the air con. :lol: Its so cold.
Hey I never said it was on, This is England Guys. :wink:
tc

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 pm

swainy wrote:I must share this with you. I'm sitting in my front room. 3 feet away from the air con. :lol: Its so cold.
Hey I never said it was on, This is England Guys. :wink:
tc
I was there in the summer of 1983 and it was plenty hot.
Art Neuendorffer

Just Desserts

Post by Just Desserts » Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 pm

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 = 1
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 = 2

Ends up being 9 Options for 1 8 options for 2 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
so adding up the options would be 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1= 45?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat May 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Just Desserts wrote:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 = 1
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 = 2

Ends up being 9 Options for 1 8 options for 2 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
so adding up the options would be 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1= 45?
You need to leave out the 11 22 33 ...
So, 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 36
bystander wrote:The number of unique combinations of 9 objects taken 2 at a time: 9C2 = 9!/(2!7!) = (9x8)/2 = 36
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Post by Guest » Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 pm

I'd have just gone to the store and bought some Haugendaus