Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Weather!

Postby owlice » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:17 pm

What we have coming through:
The National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm watch for most of the D.C. area until 7 p.m. Thursday. A cold front moving across the area brings the likelihood of passing storms, News4 meteorologist Tom Kierein said. Isolated severe storms could bring damaging winds in excess of 60 mph and large hail, especially from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. That means people in the area should be prepared for the possibility of more power outages.

The last sentence is significant; we had a terrific storm that barreled through on Sunday -- traveling 50 MPH (zoom!) -- that knocked power out to over 400K people. I dropped a camp lantern off at my first husband's place last night because he was still without power from Sunday's storms (which was just the ticket, because his power was restored a couple of hours later <g>), and some people have been told it might be Saturday before they have power again.

The sky is dark, thunder is booming, rain is falling in sheets, and the lightning is terrific! Fun to watch; I'm glad I can!

How're things in your area?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather!

Postby neufer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:32 pm

owlice wrote:What we have coming through:
The National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm watch for most of the D.C. area until 7 p.m. Thursday. A cold front moving across the area brings the likelihood of passing storms, News4 meteorologist Tom Kierein said. Isolated severe storms could bring damaging winds in excess of 60 mph and large hail, especially from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. That means people in the area should be prepared for the possibility of more power outages.

The last sentence is significant; we had a terrific storm that barreled through on Sunday -- traveling 50 MPH (zoom!) -- that knocked power out to over 400K people. I dropped a camp lantern off at my first husband's place last night because he was still without power from Sunday's storms (which was just the ticket, because his power was restored a couple of hours later <g>), and some people have been told it might be Saturday before they have power again.

The sky is dark, thunder is booming, rain is falling in sheets, and the lightning is terrific! Fun to watch; I'm glad I can!

How're things in your area?

Carolyn is on her way over Woodrow Wilson bridge heading towards Greenbelt;
hopefully it will have dissipated some by the time it hits the beltway.

We were caught in Sunday's storm going the other way around the beltway.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=44772 wrote:
<<One of the most destructive storms in years struck Washington, D.C., and the surrounding area on July 25, 2010. Strong winds downed trees and power lines, leaving hundreds of thousands of residents without power, stopping elevators, and darkening malls and movie theaters. Falling trees killed at least two people. The following morning, crews were working furiously to restore power to homes, traffic lights, and even a water treatment plant.

Forecasts had raised the possibility of severe weather for the East Coast on July 25, and Huffman watched the storm system as it traveled over Ohio and Pennsylvania, remaining intact as it moved. “You tend not to see well-organized lines of thunderstorms at 9:00 a.m.,” he says. But the storm system coming from the west did not dissipate, even in the mid-morning hours. “The large-scale pattern shifted, allowing the high pressure to our northwest, which is cooler and drier, to push toward the southeast. That push was strong enough to organize the squall lines that fed off of our hot, muggy conditions,” he explains. “As storms come across the mountains toward the coastal plain, they have three options: hang together, get stronger, or get weaker. This storm system got stronger.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 15365
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Weather!

Postby bystander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:08 pm

GOES-13 Satellite Sees Severe Storms Strike U.S. East Coast
NASA Earth Observatory | 27 July 2010
One of the most destructive storms in years struck Washington, D.C. and the surrounding area on July 25, 2010. Strong winds downed trees and power lines, leaving hundreds of thousands of residents without power, stopping elevators, and darkening malls and movie theaters. Falling trees killed at least two people. The following morning, crews were working furiously to restore power to homes, traffic lights, and even a water treatment plant.

Not that uncommon where I live. Severe thunderstorms are the norm.

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:13 pm

neufer wrote:Carolyn is on her way over Woodrow Wilson bridge heading towards Greenbelt;
hopefully it will have dissipated some by the time it hits the beltway.

We were caught in Sunday's storm going the other way around the beltway.

I hope the storm misses her!

I was with my brother and son at my mother's house on Sunday; we were clearing some stuff out of it when the storm hit. We stood on the front porch and watched the lashing wind and rain; it was very impressive. And our respective drives home were very ... ahh... interesting, with many detours for downed trees, wires, accidents. The power was out at my house when the kid and I got home; it came back on about 2:30 AM Monday.

At 2 AM, I was awake, as was kid (he was reading by the light of my bicycle headlight; yes, I took it off the bike <g>). The full moon was high in the sky. I called the kid to come outside; it's not often we get to see only moonlight. It was impressively bright.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:17 pm

bystander wrote:Not that uncommon where I live. Severe thunderstorms are the norm.

You're in tornado alley; not at all surprised you get severe thunderstorms!!

We often get strong thunderstorms (and occasionally get thundersnows). Sunday's was unusual in part for its speed; it caught a lot of people unawares. And wind gusts up to 90 MPH made it particularly destructive.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather!

Postby neufer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 pm

owlice wrote:
bystander wrote:Not that uncommon where I live. Severe thunderstorms are the norm.

You're in tornado alley; not at all surprised you get severe thunderstorms!!

OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rain.
OOOOk-lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lam and I,
Sit alone and scowl and watch a owl makin' lazy circles in the sky.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

neufer wrote:Sit alone and scowl and watch a owl makin' lazy circles in the sky.

owl1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: Weather!

Postby Beyond » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Up here in the N.E. corner of Connecticut, the weather is really boreing. JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT - Uh-huh - Uh-huh.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Weather!

Postby BMAONE23 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:12 am

California North Coast has been unseasonably cool this year

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4433
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Weather!

Postby orin stepanek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:52 am

owlice wrote:
bystander wrote:Not that uncommon where I live. Severe thunderstorms are the norm.

You're in tornado alley; not at all surprised you get severe thunderstorms!!

We often get strong thunderstorms (and occasionally get thundersnows). Sunday's was unusual in part for its speed; it caught a lot of people unawares. And wind gusts up to 90 MPH made it particularly destructive.

Up here in Nebraska we also get a lot of Thunderstorms! They usually come overnight and scare my Minny pin. I usually have to sit with her until she settles down. Its an oven out here in the summer and an ice box in the winter. Were in tornado alley also; however these last few years the funnels seem to be raising hell in other parts of the country. Today for a change the weather was pretty mild; not hot and humid and not storming. :)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 pm

neufer wrote:OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rain.
OOOOk-lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lam and I,
Sit alone and scowl and watch a owl makin' lazy circles in the sky.

This has been playing on the radio in my head since I read this. Beethoven piano sonatas temporarily interrupted the playback (I'm up to Les Adieux in my listen of the cycle), but whenever they were not playing, this was.

~~ sigh ~~
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather!

Postby neufer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:51 pm

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rain.
OOOOk-lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lam and I,
Sit alone and scowl and watch a owl makin' lazy circles in the sky.

This has been playing on the radio in my head since I read this. Beethoven piano sonatas temporarily interrupted the playback (I'm up to Les Adieux in my listen of the cycle), but whenever they were not playing, this was.

~~ sigh ~~

It's a small world. :wink:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:59 pm

neufer wrote:It's a small world. :wink:

And high on a hill there's a lonely goatherd. 8-)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:45 am

Ooo, that did it! I found Beethoven playing in my head this afternoon rather than Oooooooklahoma!

Today was perfect biking weather. This means, of course, that I didn't get to go biking. :( There's always tomorrow...
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Not a cloud in the ceiling.

Postby neufer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:56 am

owlice wrote:Ooo, that did it! I found Beethoven playing in my head this afternoon rather than Oooooooklahoma!

Today was perfect biking weather. This means, of course, that I didn't get to go biking. :( There's always tomorrow...

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Weather!

Postby BMAONE23 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:43 am

Truely blessed is (s)he who has a song in their heart head

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather!

Postby neufer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:16 am

BMAONE23 wrote:Truely blessed is (s)he who has a song in their heart head

When there's a shine on your shoes
There's a melody in your heart
With a singable, happy feeling
What a wonderful way to start
To face the world every day
With a "deedle-um-dee-di-di"
Little melody that is making the world go by

When you walk down the street
With a happy-go-lucky beat
You'll find a lot in what I'm repeating
When there's a shine on your shoes
There's a melody in your heart
What a wonderful way to start the day
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
mexhunter
Science Officer
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 pm
AKA: César Cantú
Location: Monterrey, Mexico.

Re: Weather!

Postby mexhunter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:30 am

Hi Owlice:
Be careful.
Grettings
Cesar
I come to learn and to have fun.

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: Weather!

Postby rstevenson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:48 pm

The shoeshine man in the Fred Astaire scene is Leroy Daniels, in case anyone was as curious as I.

Rob

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8304
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Weather!

Postby owlice » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:07 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Truely blessed is (s)he who has a song in their heart head

Indeed! An exception, however, for those times when one has a snippet of a work stuck in one's head, cannot remember what comes next, and cannot find the CD nor the music to refresh one's memory to unstick and move on. <g> I have about eight bars of a setting of a Rilke poem in my head. Need I mention which CD and score I cannot find? (Found lots of other stuff while looking, though!)

rstevenson wrote:The shoeshine man in the Fred Astaire scene is Leroy Daniels, in case anyone was as curious as I.

Thanks, Rob! Born in Oklahoma, and a "real-life Los Angeles shoe shiner and sometime actor whose rhythmic shining technique made him the inspiration for the song "Chattanoogie Shoe-Shine Boy," a 1950 hit for country music star Red Foley," according to IMDb. Has some movies to his credit and was on "Sanford and Son."

mexhunter wrote:Be careful.

Cesar, thanks; I try to be!

The weather is glorious today: blue sky, low humidity (yay!), and 82F, so I think a little ride is in order.

How's the weather where you are?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: Weather!

Postby Beyond » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:39 pm

Weather or not -- its a Whiter Shade of Pale on Monday-Monday, the day before Ruby Tuesday heard Tuesday Afternoon while walking In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida(originally titled In The Garden Of Eden)before the Rider's On The Storm came and washed the Itsy Bitsy Spider down the spout and then the Doors sang - The End.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather!

Postby neufer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: Weather!

Postby Beyond » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:49 am



Hey, thanks a lot for the link neufer. Carlin sucked but i just spent a few hours with the Beatles and a couple of The Doors songs. :D
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Weather!

Postby neufer » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 am

beyond wrote:

Hey, thanks a lot for the link neufer.
Carlin sucked but i just spent a few hours with the Beatles and a couple of The Doors songs. :D

Should you have posted this under "What makes the Earth habitable?"
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: Weather!

Postby Beyond » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:06 am

neufer wrote:
beyond wrote:

Hey, thanks a lot for the link neufer.
Carlin sucked but i just spent a few hours with the Beatles and a couple of The Doors songs. :D

Should you have posted this under "What makes the Earth habitable?"


I never thought of that. But i do think it would take a lot more than the Beatles and The Doors. Perhaps a few cases of Hostess Sno-Balls in assorted colors also and who knows what.
Actually, as to what i know about what makes the Earth habitable can not be discussed at this website. It goes beyond the parameters of Science as man knows it. But almost every-one can relate to Hostess Sno-Balls -- right :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.


Return to “Open Space: Discuss Anything”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest