Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Re: Weather!

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 pm

geckzilla wrote:Please sign in. You may be lazy but I still have to click a button to put your name on the post. You've got your browser memorizing the challenge question so why not just have it memorize your username and password too?
Especially me and my tendency to wander off into directions unsubstantiated. :ninja: :no:
Make Mars not Wars

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:54 am

Finally finished uploading! The green car closest to the camera is ours.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:59 am

Boy! You guys sure shovel fast! The car next to your green one sure went in and out a lot while it was snowing. I hope you don't get to make another video tomorrow. I've got three storms sitting in my driveway now. I don't need a fourth. Then I'll have to get the snow blower out. I drove through the first two layers of storms, maybe can get through the third layer, but four will be toooo much, especially with what gets plowed into the end of my driveway by the state plows.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:08 am

Yeah, they are out and about a lot for work, taking kids from school, retrieving kids, retrieving the working parent, etc. Only one car for the whole family, I think. I had a hunch they'd be active so I pointed the camera their way instead of to the other neighbors. It's fun to watch the rapid shoveling.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:41 am

And the occasional glimpse of a car that happens to get caught in the road. But strangely enough, i didn't see to many snow flakes coming down. Just mostly before the end. Maybe the flakes were bigger then and easier to see?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:51 am

The only visible snowflakes were the gigantic ones that happened during the first morning. The rest of the time it was either raining, sleeting, or dropping flakes too small to notice from the camera's point of view. 1.5 second exposures at night blurred some of the flakes. You'd think that would make them show up on the image as streaks but instead it seems to make them nearly invisible.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:35 pm

A winter ode.

The trees look like glass,
This next storm will raise the snow to my ass.
How i long to just be cutting grass.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Snowboarding in New York City.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm sure the DoT and police love that guy. They probably have to do a little research to figure out what exactly to issue him a summons for... reckless driving? Improper attachment of a trailer?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire...

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:48 pm

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=83127 wrote: Extratropical Cyclone over the United Kingdom
EOS, February 16, 2014

<<Soggy winters are not unusual in the United Kingdom, but this winter has been in a category of its own. UK Met Office meteorologists had just declared January 2014 the wettest month on record for parts of southern Britain when another series of storms swept across the area in early February.

The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite captured this image of an extratropical cyclone bearing down on the United Kingdom on February 12, 2014. Mature extratropical cyclones often feature comma-shaped cloud patterns that are the product of “conveyor belt” circulation. While heavy precipitation is often present near the low-pressure head of the comma, a slot of dry air usually trails the west side of the tail.

The storm brought the United Kingdom yet another round of heavy rain, as well as winds that exceeded 160 kilometers per hour. It snarled traffic, disrupted train service, and caused power outages for more than 700,000 people. The also exacerbated severe flooding in southern England. More than 5,800 homes have flooded since early December, according to media reports. Authorities have deployed thousands of soldiers to towns and cities in southern England to help with flood recovery.

Meanwhile, the Met Office was forecasting more of the same. They warned that another system bearing heavy rain and winds was lining up to push into the United Kingdom from the southeast on Friday morning.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:04 pm

http://www.universetoday.com/106727/powerful-new-next-gen-usjapan-gpm-satellite-to-revolutionize-global-precipitation-observations-and-climate-science-research/#more-106727 wrote:
Powerful New Next-Gen US/Japan GPM Satellite to Revolutionize Global Precipitation Observations and Climate Science Research
by Ken Kremer, Universe Today, February 22, 2014

<<NASA GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CENTER, MARYLAND - Weather researchers and forecasters worldwide are gushing with excitement in the final days leading to blastoff of the powerful, new Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Core Observatory. The $933 Million mission is a joint venture between NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Japan’s space agency. GPM is a next-generation satellite that will provide global, near real time observations of rain and snow from space and thereby open a new revolutionary era in global weather observing and climate science. Therefore it will have a direct impact on society and people’s daily lives worldwide. The team is counting down to liftoff in less than 5 days, on Feb. 27 at 1:07 PM EST from the Tanegashima Space Center, on Tanegashima Island off southern Japan, atop the highly reliable Mitsubishi Heavy Industries H-IIA rocket. NASA TV will carry the launch live with commentary starting at 12 Noon EST on Feb. 27.

The GPM launch to low Earth orbit was delayed by both natural and manmade disasters – namely the 2011 Fukushima earthquake in Japan as well as the ridiculous US government shutdown in Oct. 2013. That’s the same foolish shutdown that also delayed NASA’s new MAVEN Mars orbiter and numerous other US space & science projects.

• He that has and a little tiny wit--
    With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,--
    Must make content with his fortunes fit,
    For the rain it raineth every day.
The mission will significantly advance our understanding of Earth’s water and energy cycles and improve forecasting of extreme weather events. It is equipped with an advanced, higher resolution dual -frequency precipitation (DPR) radar instrument (Ku and Ka band) built by JAXA in Japan and the GPM microwave imager (GMI) built by Ball Aerospace in the US. “The GPM satellite was built in house at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland,” Art Azarbarzin, GPM project manager, told Universe Today during my exclusive up-close clean room inspection tour of the huge satellite as final processing was underway. Shortly after my tour of GPM, the 3850 kilogram satellite was carefully packed up for shipment to the Japanese launch site.

“GPM will join a worldwide constellation of current and planned satellites,” Azarbarzin told me during an interview in the Goddard cleanroom with GPM. And the imminent launch to augment the existing satellite constellation can’t come soon enough, he noted. The GPM observatory will replace the aging NASA/JAXA Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM), satellite launched back in 1997. “GPM is the direct follow-up to the currently orbiting TRMM satellite,” Azarbarzin explained. “TRMM is reaching the end of its usable lifetime. GPM launches on February 27, 2014 and we hope it has some overlap with observations from TRMM. The Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) observatory will provide high resolution global measurements of rain and snow every 3 hours,” Dalia Kirschbaum, GPM research scientist, told me during an interview at Goddard. It is vital to continuing the TRMM measurements and will help provide improved forecasts and advance warning of extreme super storms like Hurricane Sandy and Super Typhoon Haiyan, Azarbarzin and Kirschbaum explained.

Researchers will use the GPM measurements to study climate change, freshwater resources, floods and droughts, and hurricane formation and tracking. “The water-cycle, so familiar to all school-age young scientists, is one of the most interesting, dynamic, and important elements in our studies of the Earth’s weather and climate,” said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington, in a statement. GPM will provide scientists and forecasters critical information to help us understand and cope with future extreme weather events and fresh water resources.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Brrr; -2F this morning! Supposed to get to 37F; hope it gets there! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Everything you need to know: The polar vortex

Matt Daniel writes:

The yellow dwarf is going to produce a heatwave on Earth this summer!

Now, if you hear the term yellow dwarf, you might think something exotic or unusual will happen this summer. You might, until you find out that I’m simply talking about our sun. Saying yellow dwarf instead of sun might catch on, and, if it does run rampant through social media, doubtless there will people who entirely miss the fact that I used the term originally to mean our sun. Likewise, the term polar vortex has gone viral through social media, television and people’s conversations this winter. People are using that term incorrectly, and there’s now a lot of confusion about just what a polar vortex really is. I’d like to help clear that up.

read the rest of the article at:
Earth Sky
The article includes a link to a really COOL :roll: rap song

Margarita
8-) Posting from the sunny subtropics...
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Margarita wrote:Margarita
Shouldn't that be... Margarita, posting from the yellow dwarfy subtropics?

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Beyond wrote:
Margarita wrote:Margarita
Shouldn't that be... Margarita, posting from the yellow dwarfy subtropics?
Nice one! :lol2:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:25 pm

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/heavy-rain-mountain-snow-to-ai/23807839 wrote:
Evacuations Ordered as Heavy Rain, Mountain Snow Aid California Drought
By Brian Lada, Accuweather Meteorologist, February 27, 2014

<<Another round of rain is headed for California before the end of the week, bringing further relief from the extreme drought gripping much of the Golden State. However, the storm will cause some problems as well. This rain is forecast to move in on Friday, right on the heels of the storm that brought rain to parts of the state on Wednesday. This second storm will have some differences though, including a heavier rain that will span across the entire state.

As beneficial as this rain will be, it does pose some dangers, particularly to those living in Southern California. A mandatory evacuation due to a high probability of debris and mudflow was ordered Thursday in the Colby Fire Impact Area in Glendora, Calif., according to the Glendora Police Department's Facebook page. The department said there is the risk of injury and/or death in the event of such a debris or mudflow. A mandatory evacuation order has been issued in Azusa, Calif., for 11 residences that have been identified by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works as having a high potential for mud flow flooding.
>>
More here: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... i/23807839
Last edited by owlice on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post entire articles.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Last edited by neufer on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 pm

neufer wrote:
http://www.universetoday.com/109831/climate-change-is-now-more-certain-than-ever-new-report-says/#more-109831 wrote:
“Climate Change is Now More Certain Than Ever,” New Report Says
by Shannon Hall, Universe Today, February 28, 2014
Whatever that means. 99.99% instead of 99.9%? Whatever. The that just makes the deniers 10 times more convinced they're right!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Isn't this the weather thread, not the climate thread?

Rob

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:49 pm

rstevenson wrote:Isn't this the weather thread, not the climate thread?

Rob
Well as far as the weather is concerned; i wish it would warm up! It is freezing cold out here and is supposed to get colder! :brr: It is only 4F right now and is supposed to get to -10F overnight; not to mention snow in the forcast! I'm staying indoors!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 pm

From a cartoon I saw yesterday... "The air hurts my face. Why am I living where the air hurts my face?"

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 pm

rstevenson wrote:From a cartoon I saw yesterday... "The air hurts my face. Why am I living where the air hurts my face?"
That's how I feel when I have to go someplace like Australia, or California, or Hawaii. I'm always glad I don't have to live there.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:24 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
rstevenson wrote:From a cartoon I saw yesterday... "The air hurts my face. Why am I living where the air hurts my face?"
That's how I feel when I have to go someplace like Australia, or California, or Hawaii. I'm always glad I don't have to live there.
Australia is a pretty big place, just slightly smaller than mainland USA. You'd probably like the weather in Tasmania.

The coldest times I've ever experienced were in Denver and (one Christmas eve, on my way to a tropical island) in Toronto. Not my thing at all.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:24 am

Why Tasmania and not New Zealand?