Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: Weather!

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 am

Only because Tasmania is part of Australia and Chris didn't mention New Zealand. I'm sure Chris would like NZ too, and possibly Antarctica. I love NZ, but not because of the weather.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:39 am

I love annoying Australians.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 am

Let me know when you start. I'd like to be prepared. :p

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Nitpicker wrote:Only because Tasmania is part of Australia and Chris didn't mention New Zealand. I'm sure Chris would like NZ too, and possibly Antarctica. I love NZ, but not because of the weather.
Yes, NZ is nice, especially South Island. Except for brief visits, I've only been in the deserts of Australia. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there! Haven't been to Tasmania.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Nitpicker wrote:Let me know when you start. I'd like to be prepared. :p
Implying that NZ is part of Australia always seems to get them a little defensive. Works better on Kiwis. For whatever reason I never learned that they weren't part of the same country until I actually did manage to annoy a New Zealander with my ignorance. Anyway, it still looks like Australia's version of Hawaii to me. :D

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:17 pm

geckzilla wrote:Implying that NZ is part of Australia always seems to get them a little defensive.
Well, it is part of Australia, right? You know, the way that Canada is part of the U.S.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Canada is our hat.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Thunder sleet, with hail!
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:You know, the way that Canada is part of the U.S.
Sorry, we wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have people like us as members. *

Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Actually, they don't want anything to do with you guys, they're just after your powdered toroids. :chomp:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:24 pm

geckzilla wrote:Implying that NZ is part of Australia always seems to get them a little defensive. Works better on Kiwis. For whatever reason I never learned that they weren't part of the same country until I actually did manage to annoy a New Zealander with my ignorance. Anyway, it still looks like Australia's version of Hawaii to me. :D
My mother is a Kiwi, and the vast bulk of my relatives are too, so I consider NZ my second home, and I am impervious to your jibes. And the US has exported its culture so successfully to the rest of the world that we all know most Americans have a terrible understanding of geography.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Oh, come on, we're not that bad at geography. We get to learn about the four major countries of the world: USA, England, Europe, and Russia. The rest is just uninhabited continents except for the place where most of our things are made at. Come to my house, mate, and we'll have BBQ shrimp and Foster's so it will be just like home for you.

PS. There is an Outback Steakhouse a few miles away, too.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Wait, hold on... back about in the middle of this running conversation, bystander interjected with " Thunder sleet, with hail!" I think he was saying something about his current weather situation. Ok, that was 4 hours ago. It must have gone by him already. Now, back to the running conversation...
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 pm

According to my sources it is still snowing in Oklahoma. Bystander is in the west and my friends and family are in the east, though. It is frigid over there.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 pm

geckzilla wrote:Oh, come on, we're not that bad at geography. We get to learn about the four major countries of the world: USA, England, Europe, and Russia. The rest is just uninhabited continents except for the place where most of our things are made at. Come to my house, mate, and we'll have BBQ shrimp and Foster's so it will be just like home for you.

PS. There is an Outback Steakhouse a few miles away, too.
You've shown us all photos of your backyard before. I saw a pooping cat, but I didn't see a BBQ. Maybe it was covered in (pure as Noo Yawk) snow. I understand your Foster's is brewed in Canada, USA. And -- gasp -- I've just discovered that there is an Outback Steakhouse a few miles away from my place, too! And here I was thinking that America was the only place to experience the real Australia. Possibly apocryphal, but a former Prime Minister of Australia is widely reported to have said that the best way to see the outback, is from a 747 bound for Paris. I really doubt that that is the best way, but nevertheless, it is certainly a good way.

Back on topic, we just had ten minutes of light rain. I think it was the wet season.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:05 am

You must have seen the propane tanks, though. The BBQ is, for some reason, tucked away in the basement. I tried to explain that no one wants to steal the damn dirty thing but Pat's parents disagreed.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 am

geckzilla wrote:According to my sources it is still snowing in Oklahoma. Bystander is in the west and my friends and family are in the east, though. It is frigid over there.
We're in a lull right now, but more wintry stuff coming. As far as my location, I'm as close to central as you can get in Oklahoma. It's pretty frigid here, too. 13 F right now, down to 5 F tonight and a high tomorrow of 23 F. I guess it's still winter.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 am

geckzilla wrote:You must have seen the propane tanks, though. The BBQ is, for some reason, tucked away in the basement. I tried to explain that no one wants to steal the damn dirty thing but Pat's parents disagreed.
I thought the tanks might be for cooking and/or heating inside the house. We have 2 gas tanks at the side of our house, plumbed into our kitchen. And another inside our BBQ unit. Such cultural differences, I'm not sure I can cope. :wink:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:16 am

bystander wrote: We're in a lull right now, but more wintry stuff coming. As far as my location, I'm as close to central as you can get in Oklahoma. It's pretty frigid here, too. 13 F right now, down to 5 F tonight and a high tomorrow of 23 F. I guess it's still winter.
Pretty cold for Oklahoma! Up North here in Nebraska it is a little colder. It was -6F this morning; today's high was +2F, and is 0F right now with a promise of -6F overnight! It is however; supposed to get to 21F!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:58 am

bystander wrote:As far as my location, I'm as close to central as you can get in Oklahoma.
Ah, yeah, I mean if you are closer to OKC it is more western OK and if you are closer to Tulsa it is eastern. I didn't mean you were in the panhandle or out among the mesas! I should have been more clear.

Nitpicker wrote:I thought the tanks might be for cooking and/or heating inside the house. We have 2 gas tanks at the side of our house, plumbed into our kitchen. And another inside our BBQ unit. Such cultural differences, I'm not sure I can cope. :wink:
Isn't your house made of BBQ's and you carry shrimps in your pockets so you can ... ah forget it, this is going nowhere.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 am

Looks like another polar vortex is on the way

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 am

Heh, it's the same temperature in Denver as it is Dallas. The snow we were supposed to get isn't coming at all anymore. I'm sure the snow plowers are relieved.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 am

geckzilla wrote:Heh, it's the same temperature in Denver as it is Dallas. The snow we were supposed to get isn't coming at all anymore. I'm sure the snow plowers are relieved.
I'm right around the first "e" in Denver on that map, and it's barely below freezing here. 4000 feet higher and 10° warmer. It happens sometimes.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:11 pm

It's -8F right now; but it is supposed to get warmer starting today! :brr:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Falls.htm
For the second time in what has been a frigid winter in the Northeastern United States, Niagara falls has come to an icy halt as the six million cubic feet of water that typically flow over the falls every minute has frozen over. The flow of water over the falls typically can withstand icy temperatures like those that have frozen much of the country this winter, but Monday's high of 9 degrees Fahrenheit brought Niagara Falls to a standstill - and photographers were there to snap some stunning images of the frozen waterfall.