Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: Weather!

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Oh boy! (not really) Today’s forecast for my part of south Texas is tripple digit heat for the first time this year.
Time to break out the industrial strenth deoderant.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 pm

And the water with the industrial strength wetness!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 pm

The view out of my office today. Six inches of heavy snow fell yesterday and last night. Should be good for the plants.
PANO_20140512_120805p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 pm

It's good to see Colorado getting some drought relief. The southwest is not so fortunate... I still restrict my water use even in absence of water shortage but I don't think my years in SoCal were comparable to what's going on there currently.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 27, 2014 11:08 pm

We're under a Tornado Warning right now. Already had some pea sized hail. Baseball sized hail possible.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:We're under a Tornado Warning right now. Already had some pea sized hail. Baseball sized hail possible.
We had that on Sunday. Extremely unusual here. We were at a party just 5 miles south, and for three hours in the early afternoon there were just some clouds. Little did we know what was going on at the house. Driving home we went through four inches of hail on the road. It covered the hills and mountains completely, looking like the middle of winter. Same at the house. A reverse 911 message was on the machine warning of funnel clouds (really rare in the mountains). We missed the storm, but saw the result. Must have been impressive. A friend a few miles down the road had her house hit by lightning with major damage- smoldering insulation that required breaking open the walls, damaged wires and pipes, and loads of electronics taken out. And we never even knew it was happening.

Good luck where you are... hopefully you'll get nothing worse than some wind and smallish hail.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:We're under a Tornado Warning right now. Already had some pea sized hail. Baseball sized hail possible.
We had that on Sunday. Extremely unusual here. We were at a party just 5 miles south, and for three hours in the early afternoon there were just some clouds. Little did we know what was going on at the house. Driving home we went through four inches of hail on the road. It covered the hills and mountains completely, looking like the middle of winter. Same at the house. A reverse 911 message was on the machine warning of funnel clouds (really rare in the mountains). We missed the storm, but saw the result. Must have been impressive. A friend a few miles down the road had her house hit by lightning with major damage- smoldering insulation that required breaking open the walls, damaged wires and pipes, and loads of electronics taken out. And we never even knew it was happening.

Good luck where you are... hopefully you'll get nothing worse than some wind and smallish hail.
Thanks Chris. Tornado threat has now pasted us by.

Just saw a National News story about a major mud/landslide in Colorado. I find your lack of mentioning it reassuring. How far away from your area was it?

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Sorry for the double posting. :oops:
Last edited by BDanielMayfield on Wed May 28, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 28, 2014 12:54 am

There is really nothing quite like baseball sized hail... You see it on the news now and then and it sounds every bit as crazy as it really is. It's ridiculous that such a heavy, inanimate object could be so held high in the sky. The only way to tell the difference between it and a place recently shelled by artillery is the lack of fire!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:Just saw a National News story about a major mud/landslide in Colorado. I find your lack of mentioning it reassuring. How far away from your area was it?
On the other side of the state, fortunately. It's an indicator of Colorado's low population density that you can have a slide so large (miles!) and inflict so little human or property damage (it was really just bad luck that the three people caught in it were there at all).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The Perils of Girly Hurricanes

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/tropical-cyclone-names.htm wrote:
Forecasters formally begin naming Atlantic Basin tropical storms in 1950, using names from the international phonetic alphabet of the time: Able, Baker, Charlie, and so on. They started using female, English-language names in 1953, and only switched to alternating male and female names in 1979.
  • 1953's Alice was the first Atlantic real human-name storm.

1979's Bob was the first Atlantic real male-name storm.

2014's Arthur will be the next Atlantic real human-name storm.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: The Perils of Girly Hurricanes

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 pm

neufer wrote:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/tropical-cyclone-names.htm wrote:
Forecasters formally begin naming Atlantic Basin tropical storms in 1950, using names from the international phonetic alphabet of the time: Able, Baker, Charlie, and so on. They started using female, English-language names in 1953, and only switched to alternating male and female names in 1979.
  • 1953's Alice was the first Atlantic real human-name storm.

1979's Bob was the first Atlantic real male-name storm.

2014's Arthur will be the next Atlantic real human-name storm.
Not Art?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann wrote:
neufer wrote:
[url=http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/tropical-cyclone-names.htm]usatoday[/url] wrote: Forecasters ... started using female, English-language names in 1953, and only switched to alternating male and female names in 1979.
1953's Alice was the first Atlantic real name storm.

1979's Bob was the first real male-name storm.

2014's Arthur will be the next Atlantic storm.
Not Art?
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:11 am

Gee, they used to call the wind Mariah, maybe they now call it Art??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 am

Hurricanes Named After Women Are More Dangerous? Not So Fast.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... _fast.html
Published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study alleges that hurricanes with female names are more deadly than those with male names because—get this—people don’t take them as seriously. It’s a story that’s quickly rocketed to the front page of /r/nottheonion, where the discussion surrounding it is priceless.

Except there’s at least one major flaw in the study. From Ed Yong at National Geographic:
But [National Center for Atmospheric Research social scientist Jeff] Lazo thinks that neither the archival analysis nor the psychological experiments support the team’s conclusions. For a start, they analysed hurricane data from 1950, but hurricanes all had female names at first. They only started getting male names on alternate years in 1979. This matters because hurricanes have also, on average, been getting less deadly over time. “It could be that more people die in female-named hurricanes, simply because more people died in hurricanes on average before they started getting male names,” says Lazo.
Whoops. That’s a pretty basic error to make in a study where you’re trying to correlate deadliness of something over time. Actually,when the authors did attempt to account for this by comparing only storms after 1979, as you might expect, any correlation between names and deadliness vanished. Ideally, to back up a claim like this, you’d want to have lots of data, and there simply haven’t been enough years of named hurricanes to get a sufficient statistical significance.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 am

I would also have said that there is a difference between deadly and dangerous and that Sandy is more of a unisex name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:51 am

neufer wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/06/03/are_hurricanes_named_after_women_more_dangerous_not_so_fast.html wrote:
Published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the study alleges that hurricanes with female names are more deadly than those with male names because—get this—people don’t take them as seriously.
I would also have said that there is a difference between deadly and dangerous and that Sandy is more of a unisex name.
Working in the "World Weather Bldg" back in 1979 I remember that the inside joke going around was that no one would take a Hurricane Bruce seriously. (Sorry about that BDanielMayfield :oops: )
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:35 pm

We didn't get a hurricane but a couple of nights ago it rained so hard it was coming down sideways! I checked my guage the next day and was 2 inches exactly! It was kind of weird as channel 6 said we only had 14 hundredths while all the cities around us were reporting 1&1/2 inch to 3 inches of rain! :lol2:
Anyway they are predicting heavy Thunder Storms for tonight again! I'd settle for a nice steady slow rain! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:23 pm

orin stepanek wrote:We didn't get a hurricane but a couple of nights ago it rained so hard it was coming down sideways! I checked my guage the next day and was 2 inches exactly! It was kind of weird as channel 6 said we only had 14 hundredths while all the cities around us were reporting 1&1/2 inch to 3 inches of rain! :lol2:
Anyway they are predicting heavy Thunder Storms for tonight again! I'd settle for a nice steady slow rain! :wink:
Sounds like channel 6 needs to pull the cork out of the top of their rain gauge 14 hundredths is just what was forced around the cork

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:58 am

neufer wrote:
neufer wrote:
Working in the "World Weather Bldg" back in 1979 I remember that the inside joke going around was that no one would take a Hurricane Bruce seriously. (Sorry about that BDanielMayfield :oops: )
Thus the shift to my middle name. To my knowledge Bruce hasn't been used yet. Possibly a good thing ... :lol2:

As for female hurricane and tropical storm names, having lived though Celia (a real b ich that made a direct hit on Corpus Christi in 1971), it just seems natural that they would have female names. When the wind gets high enough it sounds like a woman screaming.

Daniel

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 pm

We had a (little) rain last night! I woke up this morning and looked out the window and my neighbor's back yard was a lake! There is a low spot there and it fills up pretty good when ever we get a heavy rain. Last night was no exception as we got 3 inches of the wet stuff My wife told me that the whole street was like a river! Needless to say we got a little damp spot in the basement! It could have been worse; we just had to get the fan on it to dry it up!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Nasty storm rolls through Nebraska last night; double tornado ravages small town of Pilger killing one and injuring sixteen!

picture from TWC home page
double twister
double twister
_2014-06-17T06-46-34_hero_tornado.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 6418 times
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Orin, I'm glad you're safe. Those tornadoes made the news here, and likely everywhere! They are quite scary viewing.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:30 pm

owlice wrote:Orin, I'm glad you're safe. Those tornadoes made the news here, and likely everywhere! They are quite scary viewing.
They are very nasty storms!

It is supposed to get to 94F today! Too hot for me; I hope the AC holds up!
Orin

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: What did you see in the sky tonight?

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 am

It stormed and I was messing with photos because the glare of the sun was so bright that I could just barely see the storm clouds at all. Tried to photograph lightning but only got one crummy pic. Had the window up and the rain flew in my bedroom for nothing! Then the sun set and I had to take a panorama...
clouds1.jpg
clouds2.jpg
storm_pano.jpg