Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Weather!

Post by owlice » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Now I'm hungry!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:05 am

Today, August 31, we are being flooded here in Malmö. You can see some pictures here, here and here.

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Ann wrote:Today, August 31, we are being flooded here in Malmö.
Hope you and yours were unaffected Ann.

By the way, how many centimeters of rain over how brief a time span caused all that?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:16 pm

Ann, you need a big pair of galoshes scuba gear!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Ann, so sorry; that looks very destructive. I hope everyone is okay.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 am

Sorry to read your news Ann. Flooding is no fun. We are a little prone to flooding here in Brisbane, too. Bruce, according to a news article I just read, 66 mm of rain fell around Malmo in just a few hours. From a civil design point of view, that is probably considered a minor design storm event. From everyone else's point of view, it is coming down in buckets.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:20 am

No one is hurt, as far as I know.

Yesterday we got 104 millimeters of rain, and 88 millimeters in three hours.

There is water on the floor in the basement of our condominium, and the elevator doesn't work. That is perhaps just as well. In one of the poorer parts of Malmö, a woman got stuck in an elevator. While she was trapped there, the water began to rise in the car. She banged on the door, shouted and pressed all the buttons she could find. In the end she was rescued, but by then the water had risen to her chest.

A good thing is that there is no river running through Malmö. Therefore there is no waterway that can overflow its riverbanks and flood huge areas. Yesterday's flooding all came from above, in the form of rain.

As I'm looking out of my windows now, in the very early hours, I can see pools of standing water on the lawns on both sides of my house. Things have not become worse during the night. I can see from a radar image that the rain has moved well south of us, and today we can expect dry weather.

Thanks to all for your concern!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:43 am

By the way, as a Color Commentator I must add this. When I got up yesterday at seven in the morning at looked out the window, I could see that the color of the daylight was absolutely strange. It was raining, and there was no rift in the cloud cover anywhere, but the color of the daylight was yellowish gray. I have never seen anything like it before.

Soon afterwards, the rain started coming down in buckets.

Ann
Color Commentator

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:01 am

I got caught in a rush hour gully gusher 2 days ago. Trapped in an urban low spot between lake Calhoun & Cedar Lake (Minneapolis), in stop n go bumper to bumper traffic, I see cars ahead "going-for-it" as they floor it and punch through the little lake ahead (1/2 a meter deep) one at a time! In SUV's no less. I'm trapped, a sense of dread comes over me. Grabbed some courage and pushed my ground-hugging Honda civic boldly, forcefully forward for about 20 meters. Water riding over the front hood was dwarfed by the waves thrown at me by the on-coming SUV also punching forward into the new lake at 10 mph. It was the worst situation for my old car in a 155,000 miles and 10 years!
It shifts hard now and slips a little when cold, bc some water got in the torque converter. If any more water had gotten in there, it would have killed the transmission for good and probably the car too $$$. Gawd I really hate flash floods.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:09 am

mjimih wrote:I got caught in a rush hour gully gusher 2 days ago. Trapped in an urban low spot between lake Calhoun & Cedar Lake (Minneapolis), in stop n go bumper to bumper traffic, I see cars ahead "going-for-it" as they floor it and punch through the little lake ahead (1/2 a meter deep) one at a time! In SUV's no less. I'm trapped, a sense of dread comes over me. Grabbed some courage and pushed my ground-hugging Honda civic boldly, forcefully forward for about 20 meters. Water riding over the front hood was dwarfed by the waves thrown at me by the on-coming SUV also punching forward into the new lake at 10 mph. It was the worst situation for my old car in a 155,000 miles and 10 years!
It shifts hard now and slips a little when cold, bc some water got in the torque converter. If any more water had gotten in there, it would have killed the transmission for good and probably the car too $$$. Gawd I really hate flash floods.
Sounds like you'll need oil and transmition fluid & filter changes too, and very soon too Mark. Wheel bearing repacking would also be wise.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 am

Terrific thunderstorms here, and spotty internet serv

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:13 am

ice, too.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:39 am

Already snow on the ground and ice in the bay at Barrow Ak :brr:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Woke up this morning to 28°F and a light dusting of snow. It's snowing a bit right now, as I look out the window. Haven't had such an early snow for years. But it's felt like autumn for the last three weeks, which is also a bit earlier than usual. Supposed to warm right back up again by tomorrow (good thing, since we're going to an outdoor music festival), but I can see winter on the horizon...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:30 pm

I was just in Colorado for two weeks. Thought about dropping in on you, but we never made it to Guffey. The past couple of days I could step out on my back porch and close my eyes and can almost imagine still being there. It's been that cool here, but the absence of mountains anywhere destroys the illusion. Plus the air is a noticeably thicker here.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:37 pm

Summer here was also especially mild and fall already feels like it's arrived. What is this far reaching effect? Is this El Niño?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:01 pm

So far, this year, El Niño hasn't ammounted to much and has only just registered above the Neutral phase
I can't see it as playing a very important factor in determing weather patterns as yet this year.
It is considered to be El Niño conditions when the Temp anomoly is greater than +0.5C and La Niña when it is lower
than -0.5C. anything between -0.5 to +0.5 is considered neutral (La Nada)

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:24 pm

let's hope it's the former, El Niño, that develops, so that California can get some rain this winter.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:43 pm

I guess it's too easy to think that one major factor could be affecting things when it's really a thousand different variables. Still, some of those should be more influential than others. Oh well, it's not something I know much about at all.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:22 pm

It almost froze the last two nights; I guess summers over! :roll:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:11 pm

8" of snow at Mt Rushmore

Wondering if it will give the Presidents a head cold

SKYMAN123
Asternaut

Post by SKYMAN123 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Staying rather warm this weekend on the west coast.

SKYMAN123

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:08 pm

The newest cloud classification

Undulatus Asperatus
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Well, it's been cloudy all day in preparation of the eclipse and the weather guys say we're supposed to have violent storms tomorrow morning, which at the very least means a lot more clouds. So, i can scratch off another astronomical event. I'm beginning to think that hardly anything ever happens in the sky anymore. At least with a solar eclipse, the clouds can't hide the fact that the sun gets covered by the moon and it looks like late evening for a while.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:49 am

Thanks for the heads up literally. I think it'll be clear this a.m. The moon is brilliant tonight right now here in Minnesota. If I get to a high place to look west at sunrise today I hope to film a SELENELION EFFECT !! 44.940501,-93.214645

"This effect is known as selenelion — pronounced "sell-a-NELL-ion," to rhyme with "hellion" (though "sell-a-NEEL-ion" may be an alternate). To see it, you have to be at just the right place at the right time. For Americans, that's when the moon is setting and the sun is rising. "