Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Weather!

Post by geckzilla » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:Nevertheless... it is a good idea to avoid eating the yellow to orangish-red snow when in Antarctica:
Well, if I ever get the urge to eat orangish-red snow... glowing orangish-red snow, just think of it as an example of evolution in action.
I'm pretty sure you would turn into an actual Yeti with superpowers if you did that.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Looks like a White Christmas in Idaho this year. At 2700 feet it's not often we get this view while finishing up at work before the holidays! :ssmile:
Snowy Day in Idaho.jpg
Make Mars not Wars

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:26 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:Nevertheless... it is a good idea to avoid eating the yellow to orangish-red snow when in Antarctica:
Well, if I ever get the urge to eat orangish-red snow... glowing orangish-red snow, just think of it as an example of evolution in action.
I'm pretty sure you would turn into an actual Yeti with superpowers if you did that.
OR, he may turn into The Incredible Shrinking Abominable Snowman.

To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

FullMoon
Asternaut

Post by FullMoon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:06 am

A warm, wet, and green Christmas here in Wisconsin. Hasn't dampened my holiday spirit in the slightest.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:46 pm

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:56 pm

I don't think it's hot anymore!!! :mrgreen: :wink: !!!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:06 pm

There is supposed to be a big winter storm headed this way; FWIW; I hope it misses us! It even has a name; Goliath! :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:06 am

That's not hot tea, it's Comet McNaught rounding the Sun

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:20 am

Hmm... 'that' tea looks kinda weak to me, BMAONE23. You sure it's not lemonade?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:29 am

That's a fine arc of tea, Beyond. But I'm not sure it's my cuppa.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Ann wrote:That's a fine arc of tea, Beyond. But I'm not sure it's my cuppa.

Ann
No problemento, Ann. Some prefer this kind of cuppa. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cup_of_joe

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:10 pm

I found this to be rather interesting.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topsto ... spartandhp

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 pm

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=87324 wrote: An Atlantic Hurricane…in January
Earth Observatory, January 15, 2016

<<Hurricanes have arrived early this year in the northern hemisphere. Just days after hurricane Pali became the earliest Central Pacific hurricane on record, the Atlantic basin spun up its own unusual storm. On January 14, 2016, a tropical depression in the eastern Atlantic evolved into hurricane Alex; it became the earliest hurricane in the basin since 1938 and just the fourth January hurricane in 150 years of records.

The storm was about 800 kilometers (500 miles) south of the Azores, which it is predicted to pass over in the coming days. Alex is not just unusual for being a hurricane in the dead of winter; it is also unusual as just the second storm on record to form so far north and east in the Atlantic (north of 30 degrees North latitude, east of 30 degrees West longitude).>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNyKDI9pn0Q wrote:
<<The 1938 New England Hurricane (also referred to as the Great New England Hurricane and Long Island Express) was one of the deadliest and most destructive tropical cyclones to impact New England. The storm formed near the coast of Africa on September 9, becoming a Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale before making landfall as a Category 3 hurricane on Long Island on September 21. The hurricane was estimated to have killed 682 people, damaged or destroyed over 57,000 homes, and caused property losses estimated at US$306 million ($4.7 billion in 2016). It remains the most powerful and deadliest hurricane in recent New England history, eclipsed in landfall intensity perhaps only by the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635.

In 1938 United States forecasting lagged behind forecasting in Europe, where new techniques of analyzing air masses and taking into account the influence of fronts were being used. A confidential report by the United States Forest Service, the parent agency of the United States Weather Bureau, had described the forecasting of the bureau as "a sorry state of affairs" where forecasters had poor training and systematic planning was not used and where forecasters had to "scrape by" to get information wherever they could.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:25 am

Attachments
Me in a snow trench
Me in a snow trench

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:04 am

You look okay, Geck. I didn't think you wouldn't be, of course, but it's nice to hear from you and get a comment on the weather in your neighborhood.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:10 am

The car is to my right (left side of the photo) and the entire bank of snow to my left and right had to be excavated to make a path for the car to get out tomorrow evening so Pat can go to work. When I could no longer lift the shovel I went to work on compacting the snow mountain so that more snow could be placed on top without rolling off. The constructed mountain was like a quicksand trap at first, giving way as I reached the summit. The more I moved the deeper I went in, nearly up to my shoulders. I got a platform solidified eventually and then there was more room to stack the snow...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:46 am

I'm amazed that Pat will be able to drive. The streets all the way to his job must have been cleared.

My arms and shoulders hurt when I think how much you must have been shoveling. That is something I never have to do, since I live in a condominium and we have people hired who do that sort of thing for us. Of course, I don't have a car, so I never have to worry about driving.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:48 am

Yes, the plows have come down our little street and so that means they have gone through all the larger streets as well. I think there's still a travel ban, but we should be good to go tomorrow evening when he heads off. We decided that if we couldn't free the car then he could take the bus if he had to. The bus route goes straight to the hospital so it's nice.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:42 am

That's good to hear.

Is the snow expected to melt relatively soon?

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:31 am

I'm sure the pile we made will be there for months. The stuff not in piles? Yeah, probably in a few days.

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am

Accuse me of “panda-ing” but “You in Snow Trench” look to be having fun despite the troubles!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Keep up the good work! :clap:
Make Mars not Wars

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:31 am

geckzilla wrote:I'm sure the pile we made will be there for months. The stuff not in piles? Yeah, probably in a few days.
You could safe some snowballs in your freezer for the hot summer days and have a snowball fight then :ssmile:
I did that with others while I lived in a students dormitory. I made even a tiny snowman and he lived in the freezer for some months till
we needed the space for other stuff, so he moved out.

The outer part of storm "Katie" swept over Germany in the last days and I have the flu.
"Katie" had her full impact in Great Britain.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Had some glorious Mamatus Clouds over Sonoma County yesterday along with Cirrus, Nimbus, areas of Virga, and white sheets of Hail falling against dark anvil cloud backgrounds. The only thing missing was lightning.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm

You can't beat springtime in the Rockies. Yesterday we saw our first wildflower:
IMG_20160410_180742p.jpg
And this is what we woke up to this morning:
IMG_20160411_084500p.jpg
Five inches of wet, heavy snow, nearly melted away now in early afternoon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

MIT: First Signs of Healing in the Antarctic Ozone Layer

Post by bystander » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:43 pm

First Signs of Healing in the Antarctic Ozone Layer
Massachusetts Institute of Technology | 2016 June 30
[img3="A simulation of the Antarctic ozone hole, made from data taken on October 22, 2015. (Credit: GSFC)"]http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newso ... k=tcAve933[/img3][hr][/hr]
Scientists at MIT and elsewhere have identified the “first fingerprints of healing” of the Antarctic ozone layer, published today in the journal Science.

The team found that the September ozone hole has shrunk by more than 4 million square kilometers — about half the area of the contiguous United States — since 2000, when ozone depletion was at its peak. The team also showed for the first time that this recovery has slowed somewhat at times, due to the effects of volcanic eruptions from year to year. Overall, however, the ozone hole appears to be on a healing path.

The authors used “fingerprints” of the ozone changes with season and altitude to attribute the ozone’s recovery to the continuing decline of atmospheric chlorine originating from chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). These chemical compounds were once emitted by dry cleaning processes, old refrigerators, and aerosols such as hairspray. In 1987, virtually every country in the world signed on to the Montreal Protocol in a concerted effort to ban the use of CFCs and repair the ozone hole. ...

Emergence of Healing in the Antarctic Ozone Layer - Susan Solomon et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor