Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Weather!

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:17 pm

neufer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:36 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Crazy! All 4 seasons in one week! 🌦 💥 ❄️ ⛄️ 🌬
The new norm, I think.
Good music! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 am

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 pm Crazy! All 4 seasons in one week! 🌦 💥 ❄️ ⛄️ 🌬
The new norm, I think.
I think you're right! MAY EVEN GET WORSE; IF THAT IS POSSIBLE! :shock:
Not just possible, PROBABLE.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:32 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 am
orin stepanek wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 pm

The new norm, I think.
I think you're right! MAY EVEN GET WORSE; IF THAT IS POSSIBLE! :shock:
Not just possible, PROBABLE.
+1
Orin

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:26 am

Is that a sculpture out behind your greenhouse, Chris?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 am

geckzilla wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:26 am Is that a sculpture out behind your greenhouse, Chris?
Yes, it is. We have a pretty extensive sculpture garden, maybe 50 pieces outside and 100 inside. My wife is a sculptor, and we've done lots of trades with other artists, or just bought stuff we like. That piece is called Taurus, by the late John Sisko. A man gazing at the stars. Quite appropriate, and just outside my observatory (you can just catch the end of one of the roll-off roof rails at the far left of the greenhouse image).
_
sculpture01.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm

That's cool... Pat and I were down in Carmel-by-the-Sea earlier this year in the Before Times and were trying to find a statue or some art that suits us. Turns out that taste diminishes with multiples of thousands of dollars, though.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Today was probably the last day of summer here in Malmö.

Kaffe och glass i Västra Hamnen 15 september 2020.jpg
Bad i Västra Hamnen 15 september 2020.jpg

In the picture at left, I'm having a cup of coffee with some lovely pistachio ice cream, while a young mother is waiting outside with her twin babies in her twin pram.

In the picture at right, people are sunbathing and taking a swim in the waters of the Strait of Öresund.

Delightful. 26 C and only a faint breeze.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm

geckzilla wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm That's cool... Pat and I were down in Carmel-by-the-Sea earlier this year in the Before Times and were trying to find a statue or some art that suits us. Turns out that taste diminishes with multiples of thousands of dollars, though.
Yeah. Luckily a lot of my wife's stuff sells in the multiple thousands or tens of thousands range, which allows us to do some pretty nice high end trades.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:18 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:10 pm The 2020 Atlantic Hurricane season doesn't even peak until September 10th, and Texas has already been affected by two. Granted, Texas has a long coastline, but there have been years when the entire US coastline wasn't hit by a single hurricane. Well, that used to happen occasionally. Don't bet on it now.

Bruce
Today (9/18/2020) three new tropical storms formed in the North Atlantic basin; Wilfred, Alpha and Beta! This is only the second time in the history of naming storms that they've had to use greek letters for storm names. Alpha has already hit Portugal, spawning a large tornado! Beta is likely to become a hurricane and affect both Texas and Louisiana. :cry: 2020 will undoubtedly go down in history as the most active hurricane season in the north Atlantic, since there are more than two months still to go. This is crazy weather, and proof positive of worsening climate change.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 am

Complete turnaround 20 degree drop; from hot to very cool, for next 6 days at least! :D I pray a cool trend with much needed rain for California!
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Red autumn leaves on an overcast day.jpg
Rooks and jackdaws outside my window.jpg

Fall is here. Some bushes and small trees have red leaves already. And sometimes huge flocks of rooks and jackdaws fly outside my window as if they were starring in Hitchcock's The Birds. When the sky turns black from birds, that's a sure sign of fall here.

Jag i Västra hamnen 30 september 2020.jpg

At the same time, it is still summer. Here I am today in "Västra hamnen", one of the nicest parts of Malmö. You can't see it, but I'm enjoying a coffee and a lovely ice cream again. It was 18 oC in the shade, and it was so warm in the sun.

Next week the weather is supposed to change for real, and fall will roll in over us with wind and rain.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:53 am

Ann wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Fall is here. Some bushes and small trees have red leaves already. And sometimes huge flocks of rooks and jackdaws fly outside my window as if they were starring in Hitchcock's The Birds. When the sky turns black from birds, that's a sure sign of fall here.

At the same time, it is still summer. Here I am today in "Västra hamnen", one of the nicest parts of Malmö. You can't see it, but I'm enjoying a coffee and a lovely ice cream again. It was 18 oC in the shade, and it was so warm in the sun.

Next week the weather is supposed to change for real, and fall will roll in over us with wind and rain.

Ann
I know that's a street lamp; but what's that humming I hear? :mrgreen:
Oops; I cut too much out! :oops:
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

One more ice cream for the road (before winter comes)

Post by Ann » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:33 pm

One more ice cream for the road October 5 2020.jpg
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

So today, October 5, was probably the last day of summer here in Malmö. The temperature was about 17.5 oC in the shade and it was relatively sunny 🌞 with a light breeze, as I was having yet another summery ice cream down by the waterfront in Västra hamnen.

Meanwhile in other parts of Europe... no, the terrible flooding in France, which you can see in the video at right, took place on October 2, or so I think. We are not going to have anything nearly as bad as that - in fact, we are going to have normal, boring no-fun-while-it-lasts weather, with strong but not destructive gusts of wind, and heavy but not destructive rainfall. 🌧 ☂️ But in any case, the lovely weather we had today is probably not going to return until next summer (or spring).

It was worth celebrating with an ice cream. Another one. 🍦

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Climate Legates-C

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:37 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Atlantic_hurricane_season wrote:
<<The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is the most active Atlantic hurricane season on record. It is an ongoing season featuring tropical cyclone formation at a record-breaking rate. So far, there have been a total of 31 tropical or subtropical cyclones, 30 named storms, 12 hurricanes, and 5 major hurricanes. It is also the second tropical cyclone season to feature the Greek letter storm naming system, along with the 2005 season. Of the 30 named storms, 12 made landfall in the contiguous United States, breaking the record of 9 set in 1916. This season featured six U.S. landfalling hurricanes, tying with 1886 and 1985 for the most in one season. In addition, the season is the first to see seven named tropical cyclones make landfall in the continental United States before September. During the season, 27 tropical storms have broken the record for the earliest formation by storm number. It has been the fifth consecutive above average season, from 2016 onward.>>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/11/13/national-climate-assessment-ryan-maue-noaa/ wrote:
White House taps second controversial scientist to steer major U.S. climate change report
By Andrew Freedman, Juliet Eilperin and Jason Samenow
The Washington Post: November 13, 2020 at 8:44 p.m. EST

<<Ryan Maue, the newly installed chief scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), has been detailed to the White House where he will have an oversight role at the U.S. Global Change Research Program, which carries out the climate report. Maue joins climate skeptic David Legates, a meteorologist who claims that excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is good for plants and that global warming is harmless. Earlier this week, Legates was moved from NOAA to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy as executive director of the U.S. Global Change Research Program, overseeing 13 federal agencies that study global warming. The two men will oversee the program to run the congressionally mandated National Climate Assessment, a report that is issued every five years. Last week, the White House abruptly removed the career climate scientist who ran the climate assessment for the past five years, Michael Kuperberg.

Federal scientists, environmental groups, and lawmakers fear the duo could derail and set back the climate assessment before President Trump leaves office. But several previous U.S. Global Change Research Program leaders and scientists have stressed that checks and balances built into its governance should limit lasting damage. [However,] “If they manage to ram through the selection of authors that are crazy, there’s nothing in the system that says they can’t be changed” when the Biden administration takes control, said one scientist who worked for the research program, speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal. If the new leadership attempted to create a completely new process for developing the climate assessment, “it would require acquiescence of all these agencies."

While Legates’s views on climate run counter to the scientific consensus that human activities — primarily the burning of fossil fuels — are causing major warming and irreversible damage to the planet, Maue’s are closer to the mainstream consensus. However, Maue has questioned what he calls alarmist climate findings showing the effects of global warming will be catastrophic, particularly when it comes to linking extreme weather events and climate change. Maue and Legates have consistently argued that more emphasis should be placed on uncertainty in climate modeling projections, despite the peer-reviewed studies showing that models have accurately captured historical climate trends and warming-to-date.>>
Last edited by bystander on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No hot links to images > 500KB. Substituted smaller image,
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

A storm by any other name

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:38 pm

If either Tropical Storm Iota or Hurricane Epsilon or had
hit the U.S. would Americans have taken them seriously
:?:
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Knot one iota!

Post by neufer » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:16 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iota wrote:
Iota (uppercase Ι, lowercase ι; Greek: ιώτα) is the ninth letter of the Greek alphabet.

The word is used in a common English phrase, "not one iota", meaning "not the slightest amount."

The word 'jot' (or iot) derives from iota.
Last edited by neufer on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Unlike the meaning "the slightest amount" hurricane Iota has now exceeded forecasts, becoming a CAT 5 hurricane! This makes it the strongest hurricane of this horrible 2020 Atlantic hurricane season.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:03 pm

More on the above comment from weather.com:
Hurricane Iota is nearing Central America as a dangerous Category 5, where it will bring potentially catastrophic rainfall flooding, mudslides, storm surge and damaging winds for the second time in two weeks.

Late Monday morning, Iota became only the second Category 5 hurricane on record in November and the record latest-in-season hurricane ever to reach that intensity in the Atlantic Basin. The 1932 Cuba hurricane reached Category 5 intensity from November 5-8.

The upgrade to Category 5 intensity was based on both satellite intensity estimates and a Hurricane Hunter mission, which measured flight level and surface winds sufficiently strong enough.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 am

istockphoto-162264365-612x612.jpg
8-) Weather kind of moderate for this time of year! I used to figurer the first snow for around Thanksgiving Day; but we had that already! We really could use about 10 inches of white stuff for the moisture; but I hate to clean the paving! :mrgreen: I used to like the snow but age has made me hate it! :lol2:
Orin

neufer

Record Antarctic UV radiation in 2020!

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:13 pm

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/polar/polar.shtml wrote:
Erythemal UV-B Daily Dosage (Nov. 18, 2020)
uv_dosage_world_est.gif

:arrow: <<Influenced by depleted ozone within the Ozone Hole, surface UV-B radiation amounts can reach levels found only in the tropics. This map shows the estimated daily dosage of erythemally weighted UV radiation. This estimate is based upon the first 24 1-hour NOAA/EPA UV Index forecasts. The UV Index forecast values are assumed constant over the hour of each of the 24 1-hour forecasts. The daily dosage is then the sum of all 24 1-hour forecasts. The UV Index forecast is quite accurate for the first 24 hours. The UV Index forecast takes under consideration the total column ozone amount, the sun-earth orientation, the surface elevation, the enhancement effects of snow and ice, aerosol scattering (using a seasonal global climatology), and cloud UV transmission.>>
Art Neuendorffer

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:42 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 am istockphoto-162264365-612x612.jpg

8-) Weather kind of moderate for this time of year! I used to figurer the first snow for around Thanksgiving Day; but we had that already! We really could use about 10 inches of white stuff for the moisture; but I hate to clean the paving! :mrgreen: I used to like the snow but age has made me hate it! :lol2:
This weather looks like it does on Christmas cards. I dream of a beautiful and snowy winter. Gray gloom gets on the nerves.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:31 pm

KayBur wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:42 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 am istockphoto-162264365-612x612.jpg

This weather looks like it does on Christmas cards. I dream of a beautiful and snowy winter. Gray gloom gets on the nerves.
*I used to feel that way once!😉☃️ ⛄️
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 am

WE GOT 6-7 INCHES SNOW TODAY! so I got to test out my snow Joe! Works nice for an electric! I gave my gas to my daughter and son-in-law cause I couldn't get it started! They have a garage & ! don't! :lol2: It snowed about an inch since so I get to use it for cleanup tomorrow! Oh crap the snow plow just plugged my drive & recovered my sidewalk; more work still! :shock:
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:41 am

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 am WE GOT 6-7 INCHES SNOW TODAY! so I got to test out my snow Joe! Works nice for an electric! I gave my gas to my daughter and son-in-law cause I couldn't get it started! They have a garage & ! don't! :lol2: It snowed about an inch since so I get to use it for cleanup tomorrow! Oh crap the snow plow just plugged my drive & recovered my sidewalk; more work still! :shock:
We got about four inches overnight. Plowed the driveway down to the mailbox (about a quarter mile) and shoveled the paths between the house and my office (a couple hundred yards). Good exercise, winter!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 am

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 am WE GOT 6-7 INCHES SNOW TODAY! so I got to test out my snow Joe! Works nice for an electric! I gave my gas to my daughter and son-in-law cause I couldn't get it started! They have a garage & ! don't! :lol2: It snowed about an inch since so I get to use it for cleanup tomorrow! Oh crap the snow plow just plugged my drive & recovered my sidewalk; more work still! :shock:
I stumbled up one morning in late November (or was it early December?) when it was still dark outside, and bleary-eyed, I noticed that the roof tiles on the building opposite the one I live in seemed to gleam white. Sometimes these tiles gleam very white when the full Moon is shining on them, so I thought that there was a full Moon that night. (The sky had been unrelentingly overcast for weeks, so I had lost track of the phases of the Moon. It's not as if I'm a Moon nerd anyway.)

But then I saw that the sky was the dark brooding shade of orange-brown that is typical of heavily overcast nights. And then I noticed that it was snowing. The roof tiles were covered in a thin layer of snow.

But the snow was gone by mid-day, and we have had no more snow since then. Instead we have had gray days and broodingly orange-brown nights for weeks.

Ann

P.S. Chris, I get exhausted just reading about your "winter exercise"!
Color Commentator