Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Weather!

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Nice weather, this weekend. Nice enough yesterday that my decision for dinner was BBQ!

What's up with the deformed kernels in the middle? Ate it anyway! Delicious.

Nothing deformed about these...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am

Most areas of the world have a holiday in May. In many parts of the world, it's May Day. In the USA, it's Memorial Day. Here in Canada it's Victoria Day, named after a long-dead queen of England. :shock:
PeggysCove-May18-2012.jpg
Here, taken at noon Friday just as the long weekend was getting started, is a picture taken at Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, less than an hour up the road from home. Our local weather critter promised 4 sunny days and higher than usual temperatures, so this will be one of the most pleasant Victoria Day holiday weekends in living memory. For those who like to be oriented, you're looking almost due west.

Rob

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon May 28, 2012 1:24 pm

It got a little damp last night! We got 2.7 inches of rain overnight and now my neighbor has a pond in his back yard. I'm sure that will give rise to a lot of mosquitoes! Bring on the dragonflies! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Still probably not as damp as Northern Florida and Southern Georgia. Tropical Storm Beryl made landfall around Jacksonville, FL about 2:00 am EDT. Not even the official start of hurricane season and there have already been two named storms.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 pm

So far the northern area of KC has been dry, and the southern area has been wet! So far rainfall totals for south KC are over 7 inches, while up north it has not even broken the 1-inch line, even after that rainstorm a few days ago that dumped at least three inches of rain and caused flooding in Lee's Summit and Belton!

But anyway, not much going on here, except for wind, sun, and humidity.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Hot and humid here, with pop-up thunderstorms last night in some areas, including mine, though I thought they'd miss us. Meant a mad scramble to get cushions in off the patio, and oh, yeah, a cat that most definitely did not want to be outside anymore!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 29, 2012 7:16 am

First of all: Rob, thanks for posting that lovely picture of a lighthouse by the sea! :D

Here in Malmö, the weather has been absolutely lovely for a little more than a week. The temperature has generally varied between 21 and 26 degrees Celsius, and we have had sunshine almost all the time. I couldn't ask for lovelier weather.
(I went down to the pond opposite our largest library to look and listen to the frogs again, and seriously, the frogs were like mad! I've never heard such a fantastic, resounding frog symphony! But I didn't see them so well, because they were sitting in the reeds, and I would have to walk down to the water's edge and brave a group of nettles in order to get a good look. Since I was wearing a skirt, I decided against it. But I could see the ones taking a break from the strains of mating by swimming around in the pond, doing their little breaststroke.

Also, everything is just so incredibly beautiful right now, when all trees and bushes put out new young fresh light green leaves, and the leaves are still totally unscathed and soft as a baby's bottom. Some trees called (in Latin) Paulownia tomentosa are full of blue-violet flowers, and the pink hawthorn by the canal in the old cemetery in central Malmö is fantastic.)

But now the lovely weather is over, and our meteorologists can say when it will return. The temperature will drop by 10-15 degrees, and we will have rain and windy weather.

Ann
Color Commentator

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Tue May 29, 2012 9:42 am

blue sky and buttercups 500x331.jpg
It has been lovely shorts and tee shirt weather here for over a week too Ann . . I don't mean the shorts are lovely, but the weather :lol2: , although the shorts aren't so bad!

This is a picture I took yesterday morning of buttercups in one of the fields. All the wildflowers are growing fast now and the butterflies are really making the most of them. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Sorry to hear your fine warm spell is over for the time being.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 am

Goodness, Starstruck, I love that picture!!! (And I'll try to insert the heart when I can access my computer at home. It clearly doesn't seem to be working on the computer I have here!)

Okay, here goes: ♥♥♥ Starstruck's picture ♥♥♥

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Wed May 30, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed May 30, 2012 1:47 am

Just got hammered by golf ball to tennis ball sized hail. Still under a tornado watch.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 30, 2012 4:40 am

OUCH!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 am

No more thunderstorms in the metro area. Some broken windows in the neighborhood. Lots of small tree branches down. My car has a few new dents. Came through it all relatively unscathed.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Ouch, does your neighborhood look like a war zone like mine did when we got hit by softball sized hail?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Torrential downpour here; flash floods in the area to follow, I'm sure.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:59 pm

It's been rainy and quite chilly this past week with temperatures mainly in the 50's and 60's F.; but it is supposed to start warming up today with temps. in the low 80's. :clap:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 pm

The weather that came through yesterday was destructive; the 11 PM news was filled with stories of people being rescued from high water (including three kids swept into a stream), fires caused by lightning strikes, flooding on major roads including the Beltway, trees down, and a couple or three confirmed tornadoes and a few funnel cloud candidates which hadn't been classified yet. I think this must have been what was left over from bystander's car-denting storm, though so far as I know, hail was not reported around here.

This was the heaviest rains I've seen, much heavier than what we get with hurricanes. We need rain, but maybe not quite like that. Today is gorgeous, though, and tomorrow is supposed to be, too.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:40 pm

owlice wrote:The weather that came through yesterday was destructive; the 11 PM news was filled with stories of people being rescued from high water (including three kids swept into a stream), fires caused by lightning strikes, flooding on major roads including the Beltway, trees down, and a couple or three confirmed tornadoes and a few funnel cloud candidates which hadn't been classified yet. I think this must have been what was left over from bystander's car-denting storm, though so far as I know, hail was not reported around here.

This was the heaviest rains I've seen, much heavier than what we get with hurricanes. We need rain, but maybe not quite like that. Today is gorgeous, though, and tomorrow is supposed to be, too.
I'd heard that the DC area was once a lowland swamp and that if Man vanished from the area, it would revert back to swamp land almost immediately

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Only partly true. There are some parts of DC that are reclaimed, but most of it isn't, and that's really obvious when driving down, for example, 14th or 16th streets; these are quite steep. Of course the Potomac is the low point -- amply demonstrated to me when I biked the parallel C&O towpath and it sank in that any time I left the towpath, I had to bike uphill -- so the land slopes down to the river, but it's only a couple of areas close to the river in DC that were swampy.

I think I even posted a map here, or maybe neufer did, showing DC before the reclamation. Will have to look for it.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:50 pm

We recently had a little more than a week of absolutely lovely weather, with lots of sunshine and temperatures between 22 and 26 degrees Celsius. Personally I can't ask for lovelier weather.

Yes, but since last Tuesday the weather has been completely different, windy, cloudy and with temperatures varying between 10 and 14 degrees Celsius. Unfortunately for us here in Malmö, we have got very little rain out of the thick clouds. Today, at last, we got about 6 millimeters of rain.
Flowers growing in gardening plots in Malmö,
with flying saucer-like water tower of Hyllie in the background.
Source: http://www.malmo.se/Medborgare/Idrott-- ... otter.html
But when I helped my best friend get rid of weeds in her "gardening plot" - a piece of land, perhaps ten by ten meters, for growing vegetables, flowers and the like, located some distance from one's home - I noticed that it was only the top 3-5 centimeters of the soil that had become moist thanks to the rain. Underneath the top layer, the soil was as dry as dust.

Well, the weather has been worse in other parts of Sweden than it has been in Malmö today and yesterday. On the six o'clock news, the news anchor actually used to word "Lappland" to say that parts of northern Sweden got twenty centimeters of snow yesterday!
Stockholm Marathon 2012. Photo: Scanpix.
And because the self-satisfied people of Stockholm tend to irritate me, I couldn't help smiling at the fact that temperatures in Stockholm never rose above 6 degrees Celsius today, on June 2, 2012. That's really cold for a day in June. In fact, it was the coldest maximum daytime temperature in Stockholm since 1928! ImageToday the Stockholm Marathon race was held, and thousands of people took part, but quite a few of them didn't finish the race. It was just too cold, windy and rainy.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:57 am

Ah.... a free natural shower and blow dry. Then they made a clean exit from the race. Mother nature can be really helpful, can't she :?: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:02 am

The weather is fine here, but I just wish that it could stay like that for the transit!
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:33 am

50% chance of rain is our current forecast for Tuesday. :-(

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 am

owlice wrote:50% chance of rain is our current forecast for Tuesday. :-(
Going by your 'smiley', your glass is half empty! Mine is half full . . only 50% chance here too :ssmile: , according to the forecast for tuesday, but it's 90% today . . and it's raining heavily now. Ah well, either way, I expect it'll be 100% cloud cover.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:06 am

Overcast for Tuesday and Wednesday here, they say. :(

Beyond, you're right - some of the runners sure made a "clean" exit from the race! :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:13 pm

The sky is dark and looks as though it might rain. It better clear out in the next three hours, because I will have sixteen kittens and a cow if I don't get to see this transit with my own eyes. Got my eclipse shades 8-) , got my binocs*; I'm ready for Venus to knock off my socks!

(You hear that, clouds? Go away! Leave! Vamoose!!)

*not that I am using the two together, please note; that would be a blinding experience