Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Weather!

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Double rainbow, all the way! Got some rain on the lens shooting this out the second story bedroom window. Locally increased saturation on the two bows just a little because I don't think cameras ever do rainbows justice. Or maybe they do and I'm just fooling myself.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 am

Double your pleasure, double your fun, geckzilla shot two rainbows, instead of just one.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Wow! We need a sweaty smiley! it was 93F yesterday and is supposed to get to 100F today. :shock: I planted some flowers today; and as soon as I watered them I headed indoors! We could use a little rain soon. :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 am

orin stepanek wrote:Wow! We need a sweaty smiley! it was 93F yesterday and is supposed to get to 100F today. :shock: I planted some flowers today; and as soon as I watered them I headed indoors! We could use a little rain soon. :wink:
Here ya go, orin. It's slippery, so don't drop it :!: (i don't know how to remove all that not viewed junk yet.)
emo63.gif
emo63.gif (2.38 KiB) Viewed 1969 times

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 am

Beyond wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Wow! We need a sweaty smiley! it was 93F yesterday and is supposed to get to 100F today. :shock: I planted some flowers today; and as soon as I watered them I headed indoors! We could use a little rain soon. :wink:
Here ya go, orin. It's slippery, so don't drop it :!: (i don't know how to remove all that not viewed junk yet.)
emo63.gif
Now; if geckzilla could put it in the smiley page! :wink:
Orin

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I am picky about putting up new emotes. They have to match the style of the old emotes. The owl is the one exception and I've been eyeing it for a redo because it is too tall.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Hey!!! This owl is tall!!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:50 pm

geckzilla wrote:I am picky about putting up new emotes. They have to match the style of the old emotes. The owl is the one exception and I've been eyeing it for a redo because it is too tall.
Ahh! Maybe you can find a smaller one! Oh well; I can stay in doors with the AC running full cycle! :wink: 8-) We actually went to our granddaughters softball double header last night and it wasn't too bad! There was a nice breeze; so it didn't feel like it was in the high 90's! 8-)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm

We are getting some warm rainy weather today! There is not a lot accumulating; but at least the temperature is moderate! 8-) :)
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

orin stepanek wrote:We are getting some warm rainy weather today! There is not a lot accumulating; but at least the temperature is moderate! 8-) :)
Lucky you! We haven't had any rain in a year, and only about 2" of moisture total this year. Nothing is growing except the fires.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:55 am

It's been dry where I live, too, though not as bad as in Colorado. Other parts of Sweden have been quite wet, however. One such part is Stockholm. Personally I love to semi-hate the boastful Stockholmians, who, if you ask them, live in the most splendid city in the world, where one of the countless attractions is the wonderful weather. Since Stockholm controls almost all of Sweden's public radio and TV (which is very popular), they find innumerable opportunities to boast about themselves (including their wonderful weather) on radio and TV, and of course they have done that during the month of June this year, too.

But in reality the Stockholm people haven't had that many reasons to brag about the weather they've had, not this month of June. As a matter of fact, Stockholm has received more rain this month of June than has ever been recorded in Stockholm in June since measurements started in 1901. Check out this map of the precipitation in Sweden in June 2012. (Wait, June 2012 isn't over yet, so why is there a map of the precipitation already? Oh, it's because Stockholm has broken its June record already, and then we all have to look.)

Anyway, you can see two big blue blobs on the map. The northernmost blue blob is where I was born, up north, and the southernmost blob is smack dab over Stockholm. You can also see that the southernmost part of Sweden is colored apricot. That's where I live, and we have received insufficient rain.

Perhaps you'd think that because we in southernmost Sweden has received little rain, we have also enjoyed warm and sunny weather. That, unfortunately, is not the case. It's been chillier than usual and relatively cloudy. You can see from this map that all of Sweden has been colder than usual, except a tiny strip up north.

Personally I'm not complaining too much about the chilly weather. Hey, it's so much warmer now than it was in January and February, and if you hate freezing cold, as I do, you have to be thankful for 18 degrees Celsius!

Unfortunately, the weather is about to take a turn for the worse. On Friday, when we celebrate Midsummer Eve (yes, yes, I know it's past the solstice, but the powers that be have told us that we must always celebrate Midsummer Eve on a Friday), it will rain almost all day where I live. That's not so bad, since we need rain, but unfortunately the weather we get around Midsummer tends to "hang on" for a long time. And next week, according to forecasts, we will get rain every day as well as hard winds and 15 degrees Celsius.

Lovely. Not.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Swedes dancing our traditional Midsummer dance, Små grodorna (The Little Frogs).

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am

Let's see that's 15CX9/5 +32= 59F! That's a little on the cool side Ann! 8-) But that's about right for strenuous activities! :wink: :)
Orin

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:18 pm

The midsommer dance looks like fun to everybody, I like it when people join together in peace and have a good time!

It's raining in Germany, day and night since like forever.

I took a picture of a rainbow when I looked outside from my window some days ago, this one was huge, I am always like woooooooooooooooow, never get tired of rainbows,
and I love the double rainbow from Geckzilla !!!
Attachments
Foto-0466.jpg

Ann
4725 Å

A thin coat of rain

Post by Ann » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am

Nice rainbow, Moonlady!
Let's see if we'll get a rainbow today. Right now it's overcast and chilly - 15 degrees Celsius, which equals 59F according to Orin - and we're getting a thin, thin drizzle of rain. Unlike most of Sweden, it's dry here, and we need rain.

Looks like we are only getting a thin coat of it.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:44 pm

We got about a half an inch of rain the other day! Today is supposed to get quite warm; close to 90F; than hotter tomorrow!
hot
hot
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:57 pm

It was 99°F here yesterday; supposed to be cooler today, only 95°F, and quite pleasant over the weekend, with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 80s. We have severe storms forecast for this afternoon and evening. Typical summer weather.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:33 pm

We got a good soaker rain this AM; and now the sun is out and it is getting hot! The forecast is for 96F! Too much for me but my granddaughter has a soccer game this afternoon; otherwise I would stay indoors! :wink:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:46 pm

orin stepanek wrote:We got a good soaker rain this AM; and now the sun is out and it is getting hot! The forecast is for 96F! Too much for me but my granddaughter has a soccer game this afternoon; otherwise I would stay indoors! :wink:
Orin, maybe you could convince her to take up ice skateing instead :?: :mrgreen:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:35 am

Beyond wrote: Orin, maybe you could convince her to take up ice skateing instead :?: :mrgreen:
Golly; she's in softball; soccer; basketball; and is learning volleyball! Don't tell her about skating! :D We did survive the game; inspite of the heat; we did have a good time!
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:38 am

orin stepanek wrote:
Beyond wrote: Orin, maybe you could convince her to take up ice skateing instead :?: :mrgreen:
Golly; she's in softball; soccer; basketball; and is learning volleyball! Don't tell her about skating! :D We did survive the game; inspite of the heat; we did have a good time!
But orin, ice skareing is INSIDE where's it's COOL :!:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:53 am

Wave after wave of t-storms, here. Tried to tell some of them to go to Colorado sans lightning they were dropping off here but they wouldn't mind and continued off the eastern seaboard. The Colorado fires are all over the news. Are they aiming for the Abominable Snowman? I know what it's like to be around yearly fires. When I lived in the dry inland part of southern California, I used to find embers wood charcoal all over the lot. I was scared they were still hot so I ran around searching for them and stomping them to pieces.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:08 am

geckzilla wrote:Wave after wave of t-storms, here. Tried to tell some of them to go to Colorado sans lightning they were dropping off here but they wouldn't mind and continued off the eastern seaboard. The Colorado fires are all over the news. Are they aiming for the Abominable Snowman? I know what it's like to be around yearly fires. When I lived in the dry inland part of southern California, I used to find embers wood charcoal all over the lot. I was scared they were still hot so I ran around searching for them and stomping them to pieces.
If you can figure out a way to send those storms our way, you'd make a lot of friends.

They just got the Springer fire under control, only 15 miles north of here. That one did prove interesting, though, since we had a daylight fireball on June 20, and they grounded the fire planes for a while so they wouldn't get hit by meteors! Seriously. So I spent two days talking to reporters and giving interviews on the Denver and Colorado Springs TV stations. Just crazy.

Now we have the Waldo Canyon fire, about 30 miles away. No direct threat, but we were deep in its smoke yesterday, and it has largely cut us off from access to shopping, the vet, and many other services. Don't know when they'll open the road again.

We've been hitting temperatures in the mid-80s in the day, and even now- coming on midnight- it's still 70°. I've been keeping weather records here for 15 years, and the hottest we've ever had at this hour was 62°, and usually it's in the 50s. We're not inching past records, but blowing them away completely. I left California to get away from the heat, and now we have it here. We rarely hit 80° in August, let alone June. And not a drop of moisture. There's the occasional thunderhead in the afternoon, but with the humidity at under 10%, anything they produce just evaporates before reaching the ground.

I can only dream looking at people's garden pictures. No green here at all- no flowers, no grass. All the animals are on hay, and they should getting everything off our pastures now... but you walk out there and it sounds like you're on potato chips. I sure hope the monsoons come on schedule in the next week or two, but the weather patterns have become so odd, I don't really know what to expect.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 am

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=78367 wrote: <<Nearly half of the United States’ airborne fire suppression equipment was operating over Colorado on June 25, 2012, CNN reported, as tens of thousands of acres burned. Fires raged in southwestern Colorado, northeastern Colorado, and multiple locations in between.

The High Park Fire continued to burn west of Fort Collins. Started by lightning on June 9, 2012, this blaze had consumed 83,205 acres, making it the second-largest fire in Colorado history, after the Hayman Fire that burned in 2002. As of June 25, more than 2,000 people were fighting the High Park Fire, and firefighters had it 45 percent contained, according to InciWeb. Nevertheless, The Denver Post reported that the fire had destroyed 248 homes, making it the most destructive in Colorado history, even if it was not the largest.

In the opposite corner of the state, the Weber Fire started around 4:15 p.m. on June 22. As of June 25, the fire had burned approximately 8,300 acres and was being fought by 164 personnel. The cause was under investigation. The fire had high growth potential because of possible wind gusts from thunderstorms, InciWeb reported. On the other side of Durango, the Little Sand Fire had been burning for weeks after being started by a lightning strike on May 13. As of June 25, that fire had burned 21,616 acres, was being fought by nearly 200 people, and was 31 percent contained.

West of Colorado Springs, the Waldo Canyon Fire forced 11,000 people from their homes, many of them compelled to evacuate in the middle of the night on June 23–24. The fire started around noon on June 23, and by June 25 it had grown to 3,446 acres. InciWeb stated that 450 firefighters were battling the blaze, which retained the potential for rapid growth. The Woodland Heights Fire just west of Estes Park was small but very destructive, consuming 27 acres and destroying 22 homes, Denver’s Channel 7 News reported. That fire was completely contained by the evening of June 24.

As fires burned, Colorado also coped with extreme heat. The Denver Post reported that Denver endured triple-digit temperatures June 22 through 24, and the National Weather Service forecast temperatures of at least 100 degrees Fahrenheit for June 25 and 26, with temperatures in the upper 90s through June 29. Colorado’s fires have followed a dry spring. Although the state experienced unusually heavy snow in February, little snow followed in March and April, part of a larger pattern of low snowfall. By June 19, 2012, conditions throughout the state ranged from unusually dry to extreme drought, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. On June 25, 2012, Tim Mathewson, a fire meteorologist with the Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center, remarked: “Current conditions are comparable to 2002 fire season, which was the worst in Colorado history. Fires haven’t burned as many acres at this point, but the drought conditions and fuel conditions are right up there with the 2002 season, if not worse.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Hah, meteors are like cockroaches, then. You see one, there must be more lurking... Expert Chris Peterson dispels the myth! Well, sort of, anyway.
http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/Poss ... 95025.html

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Forecast for today is 102F! Now that is too HOT; HOT; HOT for me! I'm staying in doors as much as I can today! :wink:
Orin