garden

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: garden

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 pm

If you want to have some real fun, Plant a Habanero pepper plant on one side of your garden for some nice hot peppers, then plant another next to a Sweet Bell Pepper plant on the other side. The cross pollinization between the bell and the Habanero creates a sweet habanero. Then, pick a bowl of the spicy ones and one of the sweet ones. Strategically place a sweet one where you can find it. Then when you have some friends over, pull off the sweet one and eat it. Everyone else will get hot ones.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 11, 2011 4:42 am

Orca wrote:Thanks Orin, I am looking forward to eating our own tomatoes. Peppers sound like a good idea too, might have to try that!
Orca, if you plant the 'Peter piper' variety, you can pick your own peck of pickled peppers. Just don't eat before you drive :!: :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 am

Beyond wrote:
Orca wrote:Thanks Orin, I am looking forward to eating our own tomatoes. Peppers sound like a good idea too, might have to try that!
Orca, if you plant the 'Peter piper' variety, you can pick your own peck of pickled peppers. Just don't eat before you drive :!: :!:
I think I will stick with the green bell variety - that goes safely on pizza! After all food is really the motive here, right? My first thought of veggies in a raised bed were, "Tomatoes, lettuce and onions - I could grow my own sandwich materials.."

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 pm

I put in some basil herbs and Roma tomatoes yesterday! :) I also planted some watermelon seed. I don't seem to have too much luck with melons; but I keep trying. :? I decided to wait a bit longer for my pumpkins as last years crop was ready for harvest in July. They did keep 'til Halloween though. :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 pm

This is my observatory, viewed just now from the window of my lab. This is why we don't start thinking about gardens until July or so!
IMG_3456p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:07 pm

I dunno Chris
That is a mighty fine Crop of Snow you have growing there

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Chris, how long is your growing season? Ten weeks??
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 11, 2011 6:38 pm

owlice wrote:Chris, how long is your growing season? Ten weeks??
Traditionally, we have considered ourselves to have a 45 day frost-free period. But the climate has been shifting over the last decade, and it's now closer to 60 days. Not that I'd want to count on it. Around here, you start inside, move to a greenhouse, and pick plants for cold hardiness. And then hope the hail doesn't destroy everything during the summer monsoons! Not many people garden seriously in the high mountains, but those that do are pretty serious.

(Since I posted that last picture, another 4" of snow has dropped. And it's still coming strong- nearly a whiteout.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed May 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about the rain here.

Rob

arnold51
Asternaut

Post by arnold51 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:26 am

That's really a great picture of a Hummingbird Moth. I think it can be used as a desktop wallpaper.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue May 17, 2011 1:05 pm

I put in some oregano yesterday. I was looking for some grape or cherry tomatoes but I guess I'll have to shop around for those. :)
I planted some Marigolds around our wishing well; hopefully they will do alright as it is in a pretty shady area. :?
Orin

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Sun May 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Finally planted my tomatoes. We also bought a cucumber, zucchini, red and green bell peppers. I am enjoying this more than I thought I would, I am looking forward to see what kind of crop we get!

It was a longer day than you imagine, my wife and I did a ton of weeding. I've been recovering from knee surgery the last few months; I mostly sat on a chair and grabbed the weeds I could reach - then I'd move and repeat.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Orca wrote:Finally planted my tomatoes. We also bought a cucumber, zucchini, red and green bell peppers. I am enjoying this more than I thought I would, I am looking forward to see what kind of crop we get!

It was a longer day than you imagine, my wife and I did a ton of weeding. I've been recovering from knee surgery the last few months; I mostly sat on a chair and grabbed the weeds I could reach - then I'd move and repeat.
OOH the Knees! :( I had knee replacement about 6 years ago. I'm still a little gimpy but at least I can kneel a little bit ; and still get around. :ssmile:
I went for groceries with my wife today and found a Cherry tomato for my garden. They are more for fun than anything. When I go into the garden I like to pop a few right into my mouth. 8-)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 am

That Cherry tomato I planted a week ago is only 6" high; but it has flowers on it already. :D
About a week or so ago I was peeling some potatoes for supper. These spuds had eyes that were starting to grow; so I cut a couple off and planted them. Today they have grown and are about an inch above the ground. Looks like I'll have my own home grown tatoes this fall. 8-)
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 am

Tatoes :?: Wasn't there a big flap last century about a presidential candidate and the spelling of potato :?: Are you running for office, orin :?: :mrgreen:
I can see it now -- Vote for orin, the Tato er, Tatoe man. He's from Nebraska, ya know.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Orin, do you fertilize your vegetables? I have heard several wide-ranging opinions on this.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Orin, do you use :fish: meal in your garden?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 am

Orca wrote:Orin, do you fertilize your vegetables? I have heard several wide-ranging opinions on this.
I generally use liquid Miraclegro with a hose adapter! 8-) I haven't fertilized yet this year.
Beyond wrote:Orin, do you use :fish: meal in your garden?
No; I haven't tried that. I am painting the living room right now which is a chore for me as I tire pretty easily and have to rest a lot. As soon as the living room gets painted I will spend more time in the garden; which is getting pretty weedy. 8-)
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:23 am

Orin, if your garden is getting pretty weedy, does that mean your grass needs cutting also? :D

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Beyond wrote:Orin, if your garden is getting pretty weedy, does that mean your grass needs cutting also? :D
As a mater of fact it is time to mow; but that will get done before the weeding. :mrgreen:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:02 pm

I hoed a row in my garden yesterday. It was supposed to be cooler today; so I thought I'd do more hoeing today, Well; I woke up to thunder and rain. It's a little wet to work in the garden today. :wink: Manana is good enough for me! :mrgreen:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I do a LOT of that "Mananaing" myself. Ole'

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I hoed another row and what did I notice? I have a cherry tomato that is set on the vine. The plant is barely 8 inches tall. I hope that's an indication of a bountiful harvest. :D My Black Berry is in bloom also. Last year the birds got to them before I did. They even ate them before they were ripe . I got some netting to cover it with, hopefully; that will keep the birds away. :?
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 pm

The garden is doing well but the weeds are starting to grow again! When it dries a little from recent rain; it will be time to hoe again. I'm going to feel like Santa Clause; hoe, hoe, hoe. :lol:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah, but think of the big bag of goodies you'll be delivering to yourself later, and no reindeer to have to share it with either :!: