garden

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
User avatar
emc
Equine Locutionist
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Canton, GA, USA

Re: garden

Postby emc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Pretty flowers Moonlady! 8-)

Say Orin, did your cantaloupe come out ok or is it still growing? It looks pretty healthy in your picture! :D

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm

emc wrote:Pretty flowers Moonlady! 8-)

Say Orin, did your cantaloupe come out ok or is it still growing? It looks pretty healthy in your picture! :D

Hi Ed! I picked it a couple of days ago! It is sitting on my counter; but is still pretty hard. I will probably butcher it in a couple 2 or 3 days. If it has nice color inside I may take a picture. :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Moonlady
Selenian
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: garden

Postby Moonlady » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 am

orin stepanek wrote:
emc wrote:Pretty flowers Moonlady! 8-)

Say Orin, did your cantaloupe come out ok or is it still growing? It looks pretty healthy in your picture! :D

Hi Ed! I picked it a couple of days ago! It is sitting on my counter; but is still pretty hard. I will probably butcher it in a couple 2 or 3 days. If it has nice color inside I may take a picture. :D


:thumb_up: :yes: PICTURE PLEASE!!! We waited for this moment now weeks!

(Do you talk to your cantaloupe, because I have that picture in my head now, reminds me of the movie, when Tom Hanks talks to his "Mr. Wilson" :lol2: )

User avatar
emc
Equine Locutionist
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Canton, GA, USA

Re: garden

Postby emc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Moonlady wrote:(Do you talk to your cantaloupe, because I have that picture in my head now, reminds me of the movie, when Tom Hanks talks to his "Mr. Wilson" :lol2: )

Makes me wonder what Cantaloupe would say? If it were grateful… perhaps “thank you for taking care of me”, or worried about its fate “Orin, what are you doing with that knife?”, or aware of its fate “This too shall pass”.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:16 pm

As per request; here is my cantaloupe! :D I have to tell you I was quite delighted to even get a cantaloupe this year! in previous years they always quit growing before they were develouped; and this is the first and only one I grew. It; however, is very sweet and suculent! 8-) :D
cantaloupes 001.jpg

And no! I don't talk to it; not yet anyway! :lol2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8573
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: garden

Postby geckzilla » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 pm

That is a beautiful specimen of home grown cantaloupe.

Have any of you ever tried hami melon? It's a cantaloupe that grows in China and the flavor is something like a cross between cantaloupe and honeydew.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 8386
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: garden

Postby Ann » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 pm

That fantastic, Orin!!! <drool>

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
emc
Equine Locutionist
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Canton, GA, USA

Re: garden

Postby emc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Nice looking cantaloupe Orin! :yes:

I wonder how the name “cantaloupe” was derived. Probably goes back a long way… I suspect from a group of early hunter gatherers stumbling across a never before seen patch. I bet at first, no one could come up with a name. When asked, they all said, “I can’t.” But it just so happened that a herd of antelope passed by.

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2412
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: garden

Postby rstevenson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:45 pm

emc wrote:I wonder how the name “cantaloupe” was derived. Probably goes back a long way… I suspect from a group of early hunter gatherers stumbling across a never before seen patch. I bet at first, no one could come up with a name. When asked, they all said, “I can’t.” But it just so happened that a herd of antelope passed by.

I like your idea better, but apparently it was named after a...

... previous pope's country estate, outside of Rome. The word comes from "Cantalupo," the name of a papal estate near Tivoli, Italy, and not far from Rome. The seeds were brought to the estate from Armenia, and the fruit cultivated during the 1700s.

... or...

from French, from Cantaluppi, former papal villa near Rome, where it was first cultivated in Europe


Fruits and vegies are often thought to be symbolic of something. I always thought the cantaloupe was symbolic of the prohibition against running away to get married. :mrgreen:

Rob

User avatar
emc
Equine Locutionist
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Canton, GA, USA

Re: garden

Postby emc » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:27 pm

rstevenson wrote:Fruits and vegies are often thought to be symbolic of something. I always thought the cantaloupe was symbolic of the prohibition against running away to get married. :mrgreen:
Rob

I can’t recall having ever seen cantaloupe at an organized wedding. But it seems like it would be apropos. :wink:

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:14 pm

geckzilla wrote:That is a beautiful specimen of home grown cantaloupe.

Have any of you ever tried hami melon? It's a cantaloupe that grows in China and the flavor is something like a cross between cantaloupe and honeydew.




A Hami melon
A cut Hami melonThe Hami melon (Chinese: 哈密瓜; pinyin: Hāmì guā) is a type of muskmelon, originally from Hami, Xinjiang. It is also referred to as the Chinese Hami melon. A generic term that can be applied is "snow melon". The outer color is generally white through pink or yellow through green. The inside flesh is sweet and crisp. In Mandarin, Hami gua can also be used to refer to cantaloupe.



I never really had a fancy for honeydew melon! I wonder how the hami melon would taste! 8-) On TV this morning I heard that cantaloupe was related to watermelon; pumpkin; cucumber and squash! I knew they grew very similarly; but yet there fruit is so very different! :wink: 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Moonlady
Selenian
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: garden

Postby Moonlady » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 am

Orin, thanks for the pictures, your cantaloupe looks perfect and in the first picture, where your cantaloupe is placed, the newspaper says "New Logo",
you should turn the pic from right to left 90° and send it to the newspaper! :D



I always thought the cantaloupe was symbolic of the prohibition against running away to get married.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
next time if one of my friends have a new relationship, I will make a cant-aloupe gift :D

...and I associated it with cantara ...the singingmelon :lol2:

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 am

The cantaloupe is part of a knock; knock joke!
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Cantaloupe1
Cantaloupe who?
Cantaloupe tonight; Pops got the ladder!
:lol2:
That's the way I remember it, anyway! :D :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: garden

Postby Beyond » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:17 am

Orin, shoudda left that joke on the vine a bit longer. :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Beyond wrote:Orin, shoudda left that joke on the vine a bit longer. :lol2:

It would have shrivelled up like the rest of the garden! I'm still getting some cherry tomatoes but they are showing signs of quitting also! :cry: I'm starting to clean the garden up for the winter months already as most of it is harvested already! :? Next year there will just be cucumbers and tomatoes!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: garden

Postby saturno2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 am

In my small garden, a parasite attacked plant of pretty
flowers. He destroyed all the leaves.
Then germinated seeds of this plant. Beside her grew
a wild flower that not like the parasite.
Now, the wild flower protects to pretty flower.
" Symbiosis " positive??

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 8386
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: garden

Postby Ann » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 am

That's really nice, saturno2! I was looking for a picture that might go with your story, but I didn't find anything that was really good. But you might imagine that this plastic lids protecting flowers inside might be your wild flower! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: garden

Postby Beyond » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 am

Ann wrote:That's really nice, saturno2! I was looking for a picture that might go with your story, but I didn't find anything that was really good. But you might imagine that this plastic lids protecting flowers inside might be your wild flower! :D

Ann

Plastic lid :?: :?: Theres a girl standing upside down on the ceiling. Wheres the plastic lid :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 8386
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: garden

Postby Ann » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 am

Beyond wrote:
Ann wrote:That's really nice, saturno2! I was looking for a picture that might go with your story, but I didn't find anything that was really good. But you might imagine that this plastic lids protecting flowers inside might be your wild flower! :D

Ann

Plastic lid :?: :?: Theres a girl standing upside down on the ceiling. Wheres the plastic lid :?:


Oh! I used the girl standing upside down when I commented on the upside-down APOD Milky Way. The girl muscled her way into this thread, too, and the plastic lid got lost in the process, I'm afraid! :oops:

Here is the picture I wanted to post!

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: garden

Postby Beyond » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:06 pm

I like the girl standing on the ceiling better, but the plastic lid makes more sense for the thread. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: garden

Postby saturno2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Ann
Thank you very much for your note about plastic and
wild flower.
But, I´am glad with the first picture. The " girl in the sky"
is a beautiful image. Nice.
An error positive :D

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: garden

Postby saturno2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm

The flowers seem to compete.
In my garden I have a red flower stems wich grow horizontally foward magnetic
north ( I do not know why).
I have a white small rose had stems of 15 cm height.
By putting together red flower, came into competition and released
a thick stem of 30 cm height and sprang a rose of 3 times larger than normal!!

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Sun May 05, 2013 1:06 am

I got my garden started last week; and then I almost lost it. When the weatherman said it was going to rain snow and freeze I had to cover all the plants! Yesterday noon it was warm enough to uncover them! My tomatoes and bell peppers look all OK, but my cucumbers look stunned. I hope they will pull through. I didn't plant any melons this year.
Wow: last year I could have planted at the end of March! This year is staying a little cooler a bit longer!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

saturno2
Commander
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: garden

Postby saturno2 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:04 am

The roses are red, pink, white, but had not seen an orange rose.
In my garden I have an orange rose.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4464
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: garden

Postby orin stepanek » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh yum! Yesterday I got to pick two cucumbers from my garden! Some tomatoes are the size of marbles! I hope they develop soon as garden fresh tomatoes are the best! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!


Return to “Open Space: Discuss Anything”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests