garden

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: garden

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:39 pm

What kind of tomatoes did you plant, orin? I've thought about planting some seeds but I always wonder what's in those little pouches at the store. I worry about getting farmer-friendly tomatoes that are designed to last on a shelf longer rather than focusing on flavor and texture.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:43 pm

geckzilla wrote:What kind of tomatoes did you plant, orin? I've thought about planting some seeds but I always wonder what's in those little pouches at the store. I worry about getting farmer-friendly tomatoes that are designed to last on a shelf longer rather than focusing on flavor and texture.
I have 6 plants of Big Boy; 6 of Beef Stake; 1 Roma for my son; and 1 Cherry so I can pop one in my mouth whenever the urge comes! :D The Big Boy and Beef Stake have pretty good acid and pretty good taste; where as the Roma is fairly bland but makes good paste! The Cherry also has good taste! Some years I plant Early Girl which is also pretty good! I like the large varieties as they are less work when preparing them to freeze! :wink: I get started plants at the local garden centers! I have started them from seeds before; but that is time consuming and a lot of work!
A lot of our friends make homemade salsa from their garden tomatoes; but I just freeze mine. If I have a good crop i will have home grown tomatoes til Spring! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Ahh! I went in the garden checking my tomatoes and saw there were tomatoes starting to set on! 8-) When I checked the cherry tomato i found 3 ripe tomatoes on the vine. Needless to say; they didn't last long; down the hatch they went! :D Awesome treat this afternoon!!! :wink: :yes: :clap: :chomp:
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Yay, Orin!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:59 pm

For those who need to 'scape, here's a couple pounds of them I just cut this morning.
scapes.jpg
I grow our own garlic each year, but I've never bothered to use the scapes (the flowers and their stalks) -- which have to be cut off about this time of the year to ensure the plant puts all its effort into growing good sized bulbs. I'm told they can be used in a vegetable stock, or just diced up and thrown into soups and stews, or even blanched a bit to tenderize them and then used in salads. Lots of recipes on the web, of course.

Rob

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm

rstevenson wrote:For those who need to 'scape, here's a couple pounds of them I just cut this morning.
I grow our own garlic each year, but I've never bothered to use the scapes (the flowers and their stalks) -- which have to be cut off about this time of the year to ensure the plant puts all its effort into growing good sized bulbs. I'm told they can be used in a vegetable stock, or just diced up and thrown into soups and stews, or even blanched a bit to tenderize them and then used in salads. Lots of recipes on the web, of course.

Rob
Cool! 8-) I've never had any luck with growing garlic! :D
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 pm

My garden is doing quite well but the tomatoes have a ways to go before ripening; 'cept for the cherry tomatoes!We have been eating cucumbers for a while now and they are producing faster that we can eat them! We sent some over to my daughter's already! :D
garden 003.jpg
Attachments
garden 002.jpg
garden 001.jpg
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Update: my tomatoes are starting to turn! I should be able to pick one tomorrow or the next day! It looks like I will be harvesting a good crop for freezing this fall! :D 8-)
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

FREEZING :?: I'd rather not hear that word, for as long as possible :!: BRRRR!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 am

Beyond wrote:FREEZING :?: I'd rather not hear that word, for as long as possible :!: BRRRR!
Yup! To store them I prepare them for freezing in the freezer! It's like having garden fresh tomatoes for cooking all winter long! 8-)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:58 am

My wife picked a cucumber today that was simply hugh! :D It was hiding in the foliage next to the fence! It was nice and dark green so I guess it will be still good! Probably have to cut the seeds out! :lol2:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:30 am

orin stepanek wrote:My wife picked a cucumber today that was simply hugh! :D It was hiding in the foliage next to the fence! It was nice and dark green so I guess it will be still good! Probably have to cut the seeds out! :lol2:
I think of a dark green as actually being a color, not just a hugh, but... to each their own. :mrgreen:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Tomatoes were piling up; so today I got them ready for freezing! :D Yield was 14 cups which i put into 7 ziploc bags! In 2 to 3 weeks I should have another batch ready for freezing! 8-)
tomatoes 004.jpg
tomatoes 004.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 33789 times
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 pm

I did a second batch of tomatoes already and it looks like I will get at least two more! My wife found a recipe for freezing cucumbers with vinegar & onions and a little salt and sugar! Our bell peppers are doing well so she is looking for a recipe on those! My cucumbers are slowing down so I will be cleaning them up soon! We had a lot of them and did give a lot of them away!
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:37 am

Or you could just send the cucumbers to Beyond for freezing, since he has the weather for it!

(Cucumbers with vinegar and onions -- yum!!)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Almost :!: But not quite... yet. It's more like refrigerator weather at the moment, but then comes Indian Summer. :yes:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri May 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Wow! May finally got here and my garden space is all dug up; all I have to do is put the plants in! 8-) :D :wink:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:37 pm

cherry tomato.jpg
My second tomato this year! I ate the first one! :D In about a minute; I'll eat this one also! :lol2:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 pm

We've been harvesting some cucumbers lately! I gonna have some sliced in cream! Yum!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Well; we are freezing tomatoes again; a job I will be doing quite a bit of this year as I planted more than usual! I also have about 6 different varieties this year; counting the cherry tomatoes! I'm cooking them up altogether as it is too much work to separate them! I guess I'll call them Orin 5 as i don't have 57 varieties! :lol2: The cherry tomatoes won't go into the freezer as I am eating them up all too fast! :D
tomatoes.jpg
tomatoes.jpg (28.97 KiB) Viewed 33663 times
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Hmm... tomato succotash. Let us know how it tastes when you cook some up this winter.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:03 pm

I had a tomato hornworm in a small container. Found it on one of my plants. I was messing with it to see if it would eat anything other than tomatoes or tomato plants. I gave it one type of leaf to no avail. Then I gave it a small bit of tomato because I didn't want it to starve. Moving on to the next test, I cleaned out the container and put a piece of romaine lettuce in. A few hours later I discovered a grisly scene. The caterpillar had died and laid in a small puddle of its own body fluid. It was a small puddle, yes, but relative to the caterpillar I was surprised at the volume of liquid which flowed so quickly out of it after its death. Weird. Maybe the piece of tomato I gave it had some kind of pesticide on it? Or maybe the quickly growing beast simply needed much more nutrition than I gave it.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:41 am

I've only seen a few of those caterpillars and they've always been eating the greenery. Never seen them touch the fruit.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Beyond wrote:I've only seen a few of those caterpillars and they've always been eating the greenery. Never seen them touch the fruit.
I think they'll eat most anything! :mrgreen:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:39 pm

The "fruit" that that caterpillar touches, i wouldn't want to be anywhere near!!