Num num num

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Num num num

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:14 pm

owlice wrote:I don't know which house to visit first, BMAONE23's or Orin's. Num num num!
Last night she made nut bread and has a mix for cinnamon swirl that she will probably make next. I started in on the chocolate chip cookies already! 8-) :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Ginger bread is next at my house

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm

owlice wrote:I'm eating pumpkin bread, warm from the oven.
Miam miam miam :) , it seems delicious... A desert with pumpkin!
Actually, i like mashed pumpkins. But i don't remember to have already tested pumpkin bread.

Recently, i have eaten a piece of chocolate and vanilla Yule log, with...
A cup of banana-milk : you squeeze a banana with milk, then you cook it with a vanilla pod inside. You add some cane sugar, before putting it in the fridge. At last you mix everything (to make sure the vanilla doesn't remain at the bottom of the cup). If someone tries this, i hope you will enjoy!!

Céline :)
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:21 am

Céline, I suppose one could eat pumpkin bread for dessert, but I'm much more likely to eat it for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner, even! :-D It's a quick bread (as opposed to a yeast bread).

~~

Speaking of pumpkin bread, I just (once again) had pumpkin bread warm from the oven, this time with eggnog. I like that the pumpkin bread recipe makes two loaves and is so easy. I came home from a bike ride (I.am.still.cold.) and had pumpkin bread in the oven within 15 minutes of walking in the door. I took one loaf to my neighbors -- indeed, they were why I baked it today -- and I get to have some, too.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:30 pm

For breakfast pumpkin bread seems great :) I imagine you put mashed pumpkin on bread... I have seen translations for "quick bread" and "yeast bread", although i am still not sure to understand. Anyway, after biking, it is nice to have something to eat, and better to share it with people. Of course, the last idea is also better for your neighbors!! :D

Céline
"The cure for all the sickness and mistakes, for all the concerns and the sorrow and the crimes of the humanity, lies in the word "Love". It is the divine vitality which from everywhere makes and restores the life". Lydia Maria Child

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Mashed pumpkin goes into the bread, not on it. The recipe calls for canned pumpkin, which is available in stores here through the fall and winter; canned pumpkin is a deep orange color, so the bread comes out deep orange, too. I suppose one could say the bread is somewhat like cake that is baked into loaves. Want the recipe?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 am

Trader Joe's actually sells this butter that tastes pretty good in combination with pumpkin bread or pumpkin pancakes.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:28 am

They sell something called Pumpkin Cream Spread, which is pumpkin and cream cheese and goooooood on all kinds of things (but probably not onion bagels). Its shelf life is kind of short, however, so once one buys it, one has to make a commitment to eat it quickly (hardly a tough task!).

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:33 am

Hmmm, the kind someone showed me was definitely not made with cream cheese. It was called "pumpkin butter" and was a jam-like spread with similar spices to a pumpkin pie, except maybe a little saltier? I dunno, imagine a more jelly-like texture to a pumpkin pie filling.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:01 am

OH! Pumpkin butter is like apple butter, only with... well, pumpkin of course. That's good, too!!! Wonderful on toast and raisin bagels.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:57 pm

I am eating leftover pizza cold from the refrig. It's a white pizza topped with apples, walnuts, caramelized onions, and gorgonzola. Num num num!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:08 pm

I like my pizza with beef, mushrooms, and onion. A pitcher of beer :b: with it of course; to share with my wife. :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:35 pm

owlice wrote:I am eating leftover pizza cold from the refrig. It's a white pizza topped with apples, walnuts, caramelized onions, and gorgonzola. Num num num!
Gorgonzola??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Mmmmmmmm, gorgonzola!!!!!!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:47 am

beyond wrote:
owlice wrote:I am eating leftover pizza cold from the refrig. It's a white pizza topped with apples, walnuts, caramelized onions, and gorgonzola. Num num num!
Gorgonzola??
I've heard of the Gorgon Medusa before
But the Gorgon Zola???

The Gorgon sisters were
Medusa, her name means Ruler
Stheno, her name means Forceful
Euryale, and her name means Far-Roaming

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 am

GORGONZOLA CHEESE

Gorgonzola is an Italian cows' milk (and sometimes goats' milk) cheese named after a village that was once outside of Milan, but is now really a suburb of the city. The cheese dates back to the 9th century, with the blue/green mold (more green than blue) developing accidentally sometime around the 11th century. Before then it was similar to a cheese called Panerone made in Lombardy.

Gorgonzola is considered one of the best in the world of its kind. The London Stock Exchange is nicknamed 'Gorgonzola Hall' due to the greenish marble used in its interior.

As with most blue-veined cheeses, Gorgonzola was originally aged in caves and the blue veins of mold developed from spores naturally present in the caves. Today, again like most blue-veined cheeses, the mold spores are mixed right in with the curds in the cheesemaking process to maintain consistent standards.
Source: http://www.foodreference.com/html/fgorgonzola.html

My favorite blue cheese. Num num num!!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:28 am

So, the Gorgon Zola must have been their Mother, Medusa was rather green and scaley in the end

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:58 am

H.K. Anderson's Peanut Butter filled Nuggets -- found in Walmart. They are pretzel nuggets that look like little pillows and are filled with peanut butter.
Never having had that combination before, i only bought one container. BIG mistake!! I find i have to put them out of reach or i keep grabbing a handful.
Yup, for me, they're Num Nums. Yum-Yum :!:

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:14 pm

owlice wrote:Mashed pumpkin goes into the bread, not on it. The recipe calls for canned pumpkin, which is available in stores here through the fall and winter; canned pumpkin is a deep orange color, so the bread comes out deep orange, too. I suppose one could say the bread is somewhat like cake that is baked into loaves. Want the recipe?
Yes, with pleasure! Only if you have time for it :D
Thank you,

Céline :)

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Céline, here it is:

Pumpkin bread
(from the 1975 edition of the Good Housekeeping cookbook)

In a large bowl, hand-mix together:
  • 3 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon double-acting baking powder
Add:
  • 2/3 cup (two-thirds of a cup) vegetable oil
    3 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1 can (14-16 oz) of pumpkin
Mix just until everything is combined, then scoop (dump, sort-of-pour, whatever) into two greased loaf pans. Bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for 55-60 minutes.

~~~

I often substitute whole wheat flour for some (up to half) of the white flour (and add wheat gluten if I think of it). I'm usually generous with the cinnamon, a little moreso with the nutmeg, and sometimes I use mace instead of nutmeg. I always use less salt than the recipe specifies. And sometimes I will add a cup or so of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. :D Some people add nuts (usually walnuts, sometimes pecans) to pumpkin bread; I like the texture of the bread without nuts, so don't.

To change the recipe from US to metric measurements, you might like this site: http://allrecipes.com/
That site has other pumpkin bread recipes, some using butter instead of vegetable oil, with brown sugar, etc.

~~~~
My num num num of the morning isn't pumpkin bread and wouldn't go well with it at all; I just finished a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese. Yum!!!

Céline Richard
Science Officer

Post by Céline Richard » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 pm

owlice wrote:Céline, here it is:

Pumpkin bread
(from the 1975 edition of the Good Housekeeping cookbook)

In a large bowl, hand-mix together:
  • 3 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon double-acting baking powder
Add:
  • 2/3 cup (two-thirds of a cup) vegetable oil
    3 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1 can (14-16 oz) of pumpkin
Mix just until everything is combined, then scoop (dump, sort-of-pour, whatever) into two greased loaf pans. Bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for 55-60 minutes.

~~~

I often substitute whole wheat flour for some (up to half) of the white flour (and add wheat gluten if I think of it). I'm usually generous with the cinnamon, a little moreso with the nutmeg, and sometimes I use mace instead of nutmeg. I always use less salt than the recipe specifies. And sometimes I will add a cup or so of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. :D Some people add nuts (usually walnuts, sometimes pecans) to pumpkin bread; I like the texture of the bread without nuts, so don't.

To change the recipe from US to metric measurements, you might like this site: http://allrecipes.com/
That site has other pumpkin bread recipes, some using butter instead of vegetable oil, with brown sugar, etc.

~~~~
My num num num of the morning isn't pumpkin bread and wouldn't go well with it at all; I just finished a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese. Yum!!!

Thank you a lot Owlice!
It sounds delicious, i will try this one :D

Céline

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

The front has moved in; the temperature has dropped quite a bit and a bitter wind is blowing.

So I'm eating homemade corn chowder, the perfect meal for the weather.

num num num

Mugs of chowder for all! [_]o [_]o [_]o (_)o [_]o [_]o [_]o (_)o [_]o [_]o [_]o [_]o (_)o

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 am

owlice wrote:The front has moved in; the temperature has dropped quite a bit and a bitter wind is blowing.

So I'm eating homemade corn chowder, the perfect meal for the weather.

num num num
*NUMB* , a. [OE. nume, nome, prop., seized, taken, p. p. of nimen to take, AS. niman, p. p. numen (Neuman?).]

1. Enfeebled in, or destitute of, the power of sensation and motion;
rendered torpid; insensible; as, the fingers or limbs are *NUMB* with cold.

2. Producing *NUMBness* ; *beNUMBing* ; as, the *NUMB*, cold night.

---------------------------------------------------
_______ King Richard III Act 2, Scene 1

KING EDWARD IV: Who told me, when we both lay in the field
__ Frozen almost to death, how he did lap me
__ Even in his own garments, and gave himself,
__ All thin and naked, to the *NUMB* cold night?
_______ Titus Andronicus Act 3, Scene 1

MARCUS ANDRONICUS: Thy other banish'd son, with this dear sight
__ Struck pale and bloodless; and thy brother, I,
__ Even like a stony image, cold and *NUMB*.
__ Ah, now no more will I control thy griefs:
__ Rend off thy silver hair, thy other hand
__ Gnawing with thy teeth; and be this dismal sight
__ The closing up of our most wretched eyes;
__ Now is a time to storm; why Art thou still?
---------------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Anyone up for a nice BIG piece of Snow Frosted Ice Cake??
It's FRESH and best of all, NO CALORIES!!
IMG_0667-APOD.jpg

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Oh, great; you know what I want now, beyond? A Sno-ball!!