APOD as Windows 7 Wallpaper (file included)

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
ebs
Asternaut

APOD as Windows 7 Wallpaper (file included)

Post by ebs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 am

Hey all,

I've created a Windows 7 theme that displays the APOD as your wallpaper and updates daily.

The script uses a custom RSS feed that repackages the APOD image into a format that Windows understands. The server script is quick and dirty but has been running well for 3 days. To get this theme running on your computer, download this file and double click. The theme should load automatically.

This is intended to work with Windows 7 only and comes with no warranty. Enjoy, and please report and problems here.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD as Windows 7 Wallpaper (file included)

Post by bystander » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:46 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

ebs
Asternaut

Post by ebs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:51 am

I didn't realize APOD posted videos -- I'm new here. I'll modify the script over the next day or two to revert to a different APOD photo if the day's post is a video. Thanks for pointing that out.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Oi, yeah, sometimes RJN throws us a curve ball and a video gets posted. Past auto wallpaper programs have faltered when this happen and grab the first image linked in the description instead. Oftentimes it's something completely nonsensical when taken out of context and we get some flustered responses here on the forum for some program we have nothing to do with! That, and sometimes they even seem to think that it's NASA's fault and wonder why we are still funding those guys. I think one day someone came by and said he was going to write his congressman or something of that sort. :lol:

Funny stories aside, I'm not trying to deter you from this. I hope it's better than the old wallpaperizer. :)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

ebs
Asternaut

Post by ebs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeah I'm not trying to duplicate efforts here, but I have yet to find an APOD program that works on Windows 7 64-bit. That, and I much prefer using a built-in Windows feature over having another standalone program running on my computer.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:22 am

I don't have Windows 7 yet (still on Vista) but from looking at the theme file, I think it's a very elegant solution.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.