CICLOPS: GOLF SECTOR 6

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri May 13, 2011 5:42 pm

What will it be like to do ordinary things on the extraordinary alien worlds of our solar system? For instance, will we still play our favorite games? In 1971, during the Apollo 14 mission, astronaut Alan Shepard hit a few golf balls on Earth's moon, where the gravity is six times weaker than on Earth. But what if you took a swing on Hyperion, where the gravity is 500 times weaker than on Earth? How gently would you have to swing to prevent the ball from going into orbit?

GOLF SECTOR 6 is an easy-to-play, Flash-based golf game that lets you tee off on Saturn's moons. It is based on some of our most stunning images returned from the high resolution cameras onboard the Cassini spacecraft that have been processed by CICLOPS and released to the public here on this website. Each of Saturn's moons has its own weak gravity, which should keep things interesting, so be sure to take that into account when you make your swing! Just like golfing on Earth, the goal is to hit the ball into the hole -- or in this case, the crater! -- using the smallest number of swings.

And don't worry about playing through or yelling, 'FORE!'. The Saturn system is sparsely populated, and, in space, no on can hear you scream. more...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: CICLOPS: GOLF SECTOR 6

Post by geckzilla » Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Ugh, it's ... so... boring! I just wrote this post while waiting for my ball to slowly fall halfway around a moon...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri May 13, 2011 6:40 pm

geckzilla wrote:Ugh, it's ... so... boring!
That's golf!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 pm

No, no, that game has somehow managed to make golf even more boring. If you hit the shot just right, it leaves you sitting there waiting, wondering if it's just above or just below escape velocity. Ugh!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Sam
Science Officer

Post by Sam » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 pm

I actually managed to get a hole-in-one on my second or third moon!
Shame, because then I kept trying to relive my former glory.

Did anybody notice that on Mimas your ball will be destroyed
and you will be penalized if you try to go over Herschel Crater,
i.e., Death Star's superlaser?
"No avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying." -Randall Munroe

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 pm

lol, Sam, on the footnote, and good for you for the hole-in-one!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I relate to Sam's small print. That's where i first started (and ended) trying to figure out what was what in how to play the game. As it turned out, i accumulated 9-strokes just in trying to find the instructions on how to play. Many strokes later, i discovered that there are a multitude of ways to put the green line in for the golfer to swing. And just when i thought i was getting somewhere -ZAP-, the crater ate my ball. That was the BEST part!! So at 31 strokes, i threw in the towel and left. Then a while later, i found out That Tiger Woods did also. He could hardly walk on his knee again. Just another typical day at the golf course, no matter which rock from the sun It's on.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 pm

If this game is any indication, I will never make a living as a SPACE GOLFER. I did get a hole-in-one on Helene; lucky shot I think.