Salt is good for you(r computer)!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Salt is good for you(r computer)!

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:41 pm

What are these things? They are, in fact, designer salt and pepper shakers. They remind me of an obscure book I read once, about how the original Star Trek show was made.
May I sprinkle some salt on your chest, Spock? It will do you good!
The producers of Star Trek decided they needed some futuristic-looking but not too expensive medical equipment for Dr McCoy. They settled for designer salt shakers! :D

Seriously, salt may not be all that good for you, but apparently it is good for your computer! Sweden's most prestigious daily, Dagens Nyheter, reports today that some salt on - or in? - your hard drive could increase its capacity six times! :shock:
The method is called "bit patterning", and has to do with sorting the memory bits more efficiently. According to Dagens Nyheter, salt helps your computer discern memory bits that it could not previously make out from the background noise, so to speak.

Oh me oh my, salt is good for you! Or at least for your computer! Wonder what color a computer would rather have its salt? Mine would want it blue, I'm sure. But there is no blue salt in that cookbook, judging from its cover. I feel discriminated against, let alone my computer! Ah well, I may have to buy some blue dye for my salt crystals. But maybe that salty cookbook could help me cook up a particularly delicious salty treat for my computer once I've dyed my natrium chloride blue?

There, now... open wide... one sky-blue grain for Ann, one sky-blue grain for you...

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

starstruck
Science Officer

Re: Salt is good for you(r computer)!

Post by starstruck » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Ann, have you never heard of the saying, 'one should never judge a book by it's cover' ?

But blue salt, hmm, that may be pushing it a little :)

Me, I think I'll keep the salt-shaker clear of my hard disk . . don't like the thought of the grinding sound as the reader head trips over a 'boulder' of salt !!!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:11 pm

I've put salt on a loot of things; but never on my hard drive. :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Feed me! Feed me!

Those potato chips over there (potato crisps for those of you who live in Britain) - I don't mind if I do!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I see that Ann has taken the biblical saying -you are the salt of the earth- to new heights. Or did she go sideways :?:
Anyway, colored salt 'should' be as easy as adding a few drops of food color to a small pile of salt and then letting it dry and sparateing it as a clump from the rest of the white salt, then pressing on it a little to separate it. But i don't know for sure, as I've never tried it. It may work better with large crystal salt. Of course, a pile of rainbow salt may look good in it's own right, just sitting there.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.