10 reasons

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: 10 reasons

Post by owlice » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 pm

neufer wrote:
owlice wrote:
Neufer, has anyone ever refer to you as "sweet"?
But fame is not a criterion.

Has anyone ever referred to you as "sweet"?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:26 am

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:
owlice wrote:
Neufer, has anyone ever refer to you as "sweet"?
  • Nobody famous.
----------------------­------------------------------­--
. King Henry VI, Part iii Act 5, Scene 4 (Folio 1, 1623)
QUEEN MARGARET: Why, is not *Oxford HERE another ANCHOR* ?
  • ...Thanks, gentle Somerset; *SWEET OXFORD* , thanks.
KING HENRY VI: *SWEET OXFORD* , and my loving Montague,
------------------------------­---------------------------
_Henry the Fourth, Part One_ Act 2, Scene 4 (1598 Quarto)

PRINCE HENRY: but *SWEETE NED* ,
  • to *SWEETEn which name of NED*,
    I giue thee this peniworth of sugar,
-------------------­-------------------------------­--
'ObsERVE that the epithet for Shakespeare is always 'SWEET.'
-- _William Shakespeare_ by A.L. Rowse
-------------------­-------------------------------­--
Shake-speares Sonnet 135 (1609)

WHo EUER hath her wish, thou hast thy Will,
And Will. too boote,and Will. in OUER-plus,
More then enough am I that vexe thee still,
To thy *SWEETE WILL* making addition thus.

----------------------------------------------------------
- Mere's _Palladio Tamia, Wit's Treasury_(1598)

the SWEETE wittie soule of Ovid lives in MELLIFLUOUS
& HONY-tongued Shakespeare, witnes his Venus and Adonis,
his Lucrece, his sugred Sonnets among his private friends,

------------------------------­--------------­--
Ben Jonson's ode to Shakespeare (1623)

____ *SWEET SWAN of AVON*
-----------------------------------------
John Milton » L'Allegro (1631)

. Then to the well-trod stage anon,
. If Jonson's learned sock be on,
. Or *SWEETEst Shakespeare* , Fancy's child,
. Warble his native wood-notes wild.

------------------­------------------------------­--
But fame is not a criterion.

Has anyone ever referred to you as "sweet"?
Not in print.
Art Neuendorffer

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 am

Neufer, print this out at your leisure:

Dear Art,

You're a sweet nut.

XOXO,
Nitpicker.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:01 am

Nitpicker wrote:
Dear Art,

You're a sweet nut.

XOXO, Nitpicker.
A Red Bopple Nut (Hicksbeachia pinnatifolia)?
Art Neuendorffer

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:09 am

neufer wrote:A Red Bopple Nut (Hicksbeachia pinnatifolia)?
What a coincidence! I think I have one of those in the garden. :wink:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 am

When the rare red Bopple nut goes Bopp Bopp Boppling a-long a-long, when the rare red Bopple nut goes Bopp Bopp Boppling a-long a-long... Boy, do i suck at typed singing :!: Not very good at the voice kind, either. :no:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
neufer wrote:
A Red Bopple Nut (Hicksbeachia pinnatifolia)?
So you are a true supporter of well red Oxley moron hicks.

I, myself, am a believer in blue blooded bisexuals.
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Edna_Krabappel wrote: <<Edna Krabappel is a 4th Grade teacher at Springfield Elementary School. Edna Krabappel lives at 82 EVERgreen Terrace. Outside school Edna is portrayed as a typical mid-life single adult, heavy smoker and occasional solitary drinker trying to find the right man. She had numerous affairs with many Springfieldians, her reoccurring choice always being Principal Skinner, usually out of pity rather than affection. Since the 23rd season, Edna is married to Ned Flanders.

Edna's last name is pronounced "crah-Bopple" and is a play on the fruit "crabapple" and it is also a reference to the teacher Miss Crabtree from the 1930s Little Rascals serials. Part of the original joke of her last name was that nobody ever mispronounced her name and called her "Miss Crabapple." She has a red marking pen named "Old Red".

Edna Krabappel was an A-grade student back in school, as she mentions it, and therefore holds a Master's in Education from Bryn Mawr College. Her life dream at once was to teach to young students, however, after years of teaching jaded her positive image, and after her husband left for another woman, their marriage counselor, Edna started drinking her days away, got fired from teaching in a prestige private school and eventually made her way into Springfield Elementary.

In general, Edna doesn't care at all about teaching proper education to the children anymore. Edna is usually annoyed by her straight-A student mARTin Prince. Her attitude towards her class ranges from something of fondness to dislike. She has been known to remark that her students will end up in blue collar jobs, such as gas station attendants. During class time, Edna is either giving matter in a monotone manner, ignoring children's interest, or, after assigning personal work to children, usually reads newspaper singles ads or low-class drama novels.

Edna is usually shown to be involved with many activities around Springfield. Edna is a member of Marge's book club (although nobody in the club seems to read the book they are supposed to). Edna seems to be friends with fellow teacher Elizabeth Hoover, they are often seen smoking together, and often make comments and criticisms about the state of Springfield Elementary together.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 am

Bazza's hardly a blue-blood, ya drongo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Humphries

"Humphries was born in the suburb of Kew in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, the son of Louisa and Eric Humphries, a construction manager. His grandfather was an immigrant to Australia from Manchester, England. His father was well-to-do and Barry grew up in a "clean, tasteful and modern home" in Camberwell, then one of Melbourne's new 'garden suburbs'. His early home life set the pattern for his eventual stage career—his parents bought him everything he wanted, but his father in particular spent little time with him so he spent hours playing at dressing-up in the back garden."

Just goes to show how artistic genius can stem from anywhere.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 am

Nitpicker wrote:Bazza's hardly a blue-blood, ya drongo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Humphries

"Humphries was born in the suburb of Kew in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, the son of Louisa and Eric Humphries, a construction manager. His grandfather was an immigrant to Australia from Manchester, England. His father was well-to-do and Barry grew up in a "clean, tasteful and modern home" in Camberwell, then one of Melbourne's new 'garden suburbs'. His early home life set the pattern for his eventual stage career—his parents bought him everything he wanted, but his father in particular spent little time with him so he spent hours playing at dressing-up in the back garden."

Just goes to show how artistic genius can stem from anywhere.
The same goes for Artistic craziness :!: :lol2:

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:18 am

Nitpicker wrote:
neufer wrote:A Red Bopple Nut (Hicksbeachia pinnatifolia)?

He Knows!!! haha.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
I was really thinking of another EVERage
not quite so "vulgar", Possum:

http://www.shakespeareadventure.com/Never%20Writer.htm
http://public.wsu.edu/~delahoyd/shakespeare/t&c1.html
http://hankwhittemore.wordpress.com/201 ... akespeare/
http://www.corvalliscommunitypages.com/Europe/england/edward_de_vere_as_william_shakes.htm wrote:
<<Edward De Vere had known Gabriel Harvey during his student days at Cambridge. Harvey correctly points out in his euphemistic style that war is imminent and urges de Vere to: "...throw away the insignificant pen, throw away the bloodless books...Minerva strengthens thy right hand... within thee burns the fire of Mars. Thine eyes flash fire, thy countenance shakes a spear, who would not swear that Achilles had come to life again..."
----------------------------------------------------
. Troilus and Cressida Act 4, Scene 5
AENEAS: If not Achilles, sir, what is your name ?
ACHILLES: If not Achilles, nothing.
-----------------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 pm

thy continence shakes a spear, huh :?:

neufer

To justice, continence and nobility!

Post by neufer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Beyond wrote:
thy continence shakes a spear, huh :?:
In Sweden they use sticks.

Suffer not dishonour to approach the imperial seat :!:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONTINENCE, n. [L., to hold, or withhold; con and teneo, to hold.]

The restraint which a person imposes upon his desires and passions; self-command.
  • Titus Andronicus Act 1, Scene 1
BASSIANUS: Keep then this passage to the Capitol
  • And suffer not dishonour to approach
    The imperial seat, to virtue consecrate,
    To justice, continence and nobility;
    But let desert in pure election shine,
    And, Romans, fight for freedom in your choice.
------------------------------------------------------
  • Measure for Measure Act 5, Scene 1
ISABELLA: Unfold the evil which is here wrapt up IN COUNTENANCE!
------------------------------------------------------
COUNTENANCE, n. [L., to hold.]

1. Literally, the contents of a body; the outline and extent which constitutes the whole figure or external appearance. Appropriately, the human face; the whole form of the face, or system of features; visage.

2. Air; look; aspect; appearance of the face; as in the phrase, to change or alter the countenance.

3. The face or look of a beast; as a horse of a good countenance.

4. Favor; good will; kindness.

5. Support; aid; patronage; encouragement; favor in promoting and maintaining a person or cause.

6. Show; resemblance; superficial appearance.
Art Neuendorffer

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 pm

I frequently get a lot out of your posts, neufer. This is not one of those times. Quite the opposite of constipation.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
I frequently get a lot out of your posts, neufer.
This is not one of those times. Quite the opposite of constipation.
  • You're the one pushing (hill) Billy Shakspere.
Art Neuendorffer

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm not pushing anyone, Art. I'm a "middle grounder", remember? My comment was that artistic genius can come from anywhere. It may be vulgar, too, but that is an aside. (I will, however, confess to enjoy poking holes in overblown theories, where I feel I can.) There is arguably some merit in the Oxfordian argument, when viewed holistically, but not when presented in the scatter-gun fashion of this forum topic.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:32 am

Nitpicker wrote:
There is arguably some merit in the Oxfordian argument, when viewed holistically,
but not when presented in the scatter-gun fashion of this forum topic.
  • What, me worry :?:
Art Neuendorffer

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 am

neufer wrote:What, me worry?
No worries at all Art. Indeed, I've been asking myself something similar:

Why me worry :?:

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
neufer wrote:
What, me worry?
No worries at all Art. Indeed, I've been asking myself something similar:

Why me worry :?:
http://mrmen.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Worry wrote:
<<Mr. Worry is the 32nd book in the Mr. Men series by Roger Hargreaves. Mr. Worry worries about everything. If it rains, he worries that his roof will leak, if there is no rain, he worries that all of his plants will die. He is one of the few characters who care if Mr. Bump gets hurt. "Hey, I'm very worried about you, I'm worried that one of these days you might hurt yourself!"

Mr. Worry meets a wizard who suggests he make a list of all his worries and the wizard will make sure none of them happen. When there is nothing to worry about, Mr. Worry is happy for a week, until he is worried about not having anything to worry about.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Dame Edna's show sent me to hospital

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/diary/9069181/diary-636/ wrote:
Alexander Waugh's diary: Shakespeare was a nom de plume — get over it
Plus: Dame Edna's show sent me to hospital
Alexander Waugh, The Spectator, 2 November 2013

<<Researching a new book on Shakespeare’s sonnets, I stumbled upon an astonishing piece of hitherto unnoticed evidence in a 16th-century book by a sex-maniac clergyman from Cambridge. I shall not bore you with the details; suffice it to say that William Covell (the author and S-MC in question) revealed in words not especially ambiguous by Elizabethan standards that ‘Shakespeare’ was a nom de plume used by the courtier poet Edward de Vere. Now a lot of people have been saying this for a very long time — so stale buns to that, you may think — except that no one has yet noticed that the matter was revealed in a book as long ago as 1595, so that makes it an important discovery. Well the Sunday Times ran a jumbled account on its news pages illustrated by a photograph of a nudist performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The Times ran a piece the next day suggesting that ‘The Rape of Lucrece’ was a rarely performed play by Shakespeare.

Our newspapers may be put together by degraded and ill-educated editors, but the reports were still just about coherent enough to rouse the hornet’s nest. ‘Stratfordians’ used to hoot at anyone who questioned their orthodoxy, but now that the tide of evidence has turned against them, and almost every intelligent educated person concedes, at very least, that there is a genuine authorship problem, their derisive laughter has toned itself down to the sort of soft growl that senile dogs emit when you try to get them into the car. After two days of manfully parrying emails of vituperation (‘Evelyn [sic] your [sic] just an attention seeking pratt [sic]’: ‘why give air to the views of that talentless little wanker Waugh’ etc), I decided that enough was enough and it was time to take myself abroad.

British Airways has just started direct flights from Heathrow to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province in southwest China and supposedly the fastest-growing city in the world. Two days among 14 million Chengdu Chinese, none of whom has ever heard of Shakespeare or Edward de Vere, was just what I needed. At Xiongmao Jidi, the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base, I saw a panda penis and balls preserved in formaldehyde, photographs of pandas attempting copulation, and of masked Chinese surgeons penetrating unconscious female pandas with gaudy plastic inseminators. Two living but hairless adults were held each in a cramped concrete cage. Uniformed security guards dragged me from three motionless babies when I asked if they might be dead. Two adolescents held in another cage were kept from repose by a zookeeper antagonising them with a luminous broom handle. The crowds were not interested in seeing the animals except through the lenses of their cameras and were ruthless in barging themselves and their equipment to the front. None of the pandas looked happy. Oh the hell of belonging to one of the cuter species! Were I a giant panda I would prefer the extinction of my entire race to any one of the humiliations inflicted upon me at Xiongmao Jidi.

Returning to Heathrow the next day, I headed straight to Milton Keynes to catch Dame Edna Everage at the start of her ‘Farewell Tour’. Uncontrollable laughter for two hours left me with a headache that lasted the night. Next morning I felt a heart attack coming on — sharp pain in the left side of my chest, heavy weights pushing against the ribcage, numbness in the shoulder and a left hand that seemed colder and clammier than the right. When I explained this to the woman from NHS Direct and told her that I had just come off a long-haul flight, she ordered me to check myself immediately into the accident and emergency unit of my nearest hospital. After three-and-a-half hours of X-ray, blood test, ECG scan, leg-slapping, form-filling, probes and inquisitions, the wonderfully efficient and sympathetic staff of the Northampton General Hospital discharged me with a clean bill of health. I walked out backwards feeling perfectly well, but ashamed and dribbling in supine apology. They laughed and wished me good day. The diagnosis was ‘phantom heart attack’ and for a moment, out of sheer embarrassment, I wished it had been a real one.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcia_Wallace wrote:

<<Marcia Karen Wallace (November 1, 1942 − October 25, 2013) was an American actress, game show panelist, voice artist, and comedian, primarily known for her roles in television situation comedies. She is perhaps best known for her roles as receptionist Carol Kester on the 1970s sitcom The Bob Newhart Show, and as the voice of elementary school teacher Edna Krabappel on the animated series The Simpsons, for which she won an Emmy in 1992. Wallace was known for her tall frame, red hair, and distinctive laugh. She had a career spanning six decades in TV, film, and on stage. Diagnosed with breast cancer in 1985, she became a cancer activist. On October 25, 2013, Wallace died at the age of 70. Showrunner Al Jean said, "I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace." Jean said that producers plan to retire her "irreplaceable" character Edna Krabappel.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

APOD: Kepler 78b: Earth Sized Planet... (2013 Nov 05)

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:
On the 50th anniversary of the publication of Thomas Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions, I beg to differ. Normal scientific understanding increases incrementally, until internal inconsistencies lead some bright mind to propose a pardigm shift, a new way of looking at existing data.
ImageImageImage
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

The church of St. Lorenz distraction?

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
I may have been unfair to Titius and Bode. Not really numerological, just not analytical.

As for Copernicus and his sub-editor, I have mis-remembered this story slightly. From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiander
"In 1543 [shortly before the death of Copernicus], Osiander [a Lutheran theologian and friend of Copernicus] oversaw the publication of the book De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the revolution of the celestial spheres) by Copernicus. He added a preface suggesting that the model described in the book was not necessarily true, or even probable, but was useful for computational purposes. This was certainly not the opinion of Copernicus, who was probably unaware of the addition. As a result, many readers, unaware that Osiander was the author of the preface, believed that Copernicus himself had not believed that his hypothesis was actually true. Osiander also did not sign the preface added to Copernicus' book, therefore many readers at the time assumed that this is what Copernicus had actually thought himself."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiander wrote:
<<Andreas Osiander (19 December 1498 – 17 October 1552) was a German Lutheran theologian. Born at Gunzenhausen in Franconia, Osiander studied at the University of Ingolstadt before being ordained as a priest in 1520. In the same year he began work at an Augustinian convent in Nuremberg as a Hebrew tutor. In 1522, he was appointed to the church of St. Lorenz in Nuremberg, and at the same time publicly declared himself to be a Lutheran. During the First Diet of Nuremberg (1522), he met Albert of Prussia, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, and played an important role in converting him to Lutheranism. [Osiander's] niece married the future Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer.>>
Was "COPERNICUS" simply a front for the humanist works of the Teutonic Knights :?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernicus wrote:
ImageImage
<<In Nicolaus COPERNICUS' time (19 February 1473 – 24 May 1543), people were often called after the places where they lived. Like the Silesian village that inspired it, Copernicus' surname has been spelled variously. The surname likely had something to do with the local Silesian copper-mining industry, though some scholars assert that it may have been inspired by the dill plant (in Polish, "koperek" or "kopernik") that grows wild in Silesia. As was to be the case with William Shakespeare a century later, numerous spelling variants of the name are documented for the astronomer and his relatives. Upon the father’s death, young Nicolaus’ maternal uncle, Lucas Watzenrode the Younger (1447–1512), took the boy under his wing and saw to his education and career. Watzenrode maintained contacts with leading intellectual figures in Poland and was a friend of the influential Italian-born humanist and Kraków courtier, Filippo Buonaccorsi. There are no surviving primary documents on the early years of Copernicus' childhood and education. Copernicus biographers assume that Watzenrode first sent young Copernicus to St. John's School, at Toruń, where he himself had been a master.>>
COPERNICUS
CERNO PICUS
(Latin) I SEE PICO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Pico_della_Mirandola wrote:
<<Count Giovanni PICO della Mirandola (24 February 1463 – 17 November 1494) was an Italian Renaissance philosopher. He is famed for the events of 1486, when at the age of 23, he proposed to defend 900 theses on religion, philosophy, natural philosophy and magic against all comers, for which he wrote the famous Oration on the Dignity of Man, which has been called the "Manifesto of the Renaissance", and a key text of Renaissance humanism and of what has been called the "Hermetic Reformation". In James Joyce's Ulysses, the precocious Stephen Dedalus recalls with disdain his boyhood ambitions, and apparently associates them with the career of Mirandola: "Remember your epiphanies written on green oval leaves, deeply deep...copies to be sent if you died to all the great libraries of the world...Pico della Mirandola like.">>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Pico-boo, i see U's. (it wudda come out better in colors, but I'm to lazy to do all that) :lol2:

neufer

Conspiracy theory

Post by neufer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:40 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition that accuses two or more people, a group, or an organization of having caused or covered up, through deliberate collusion, an event or phenomenon of great social, political, or economic impact. In recent decades the term has acquired a derogatory meaning. Professor Rebecca Moore observes, "The word 'conspiracy' works much the same way the word 'cult' does to discredit advocates of a certain view or persuasion. A careful distinction must be made between the derisive use of the term and reference to actual, proven conspiracies.

Originally a neutral term, since the mid-1960s it has acquired a somewhat derogatory meaning, implying a paranoid tendency to see the influence of some malign covert agency in events. The term is often used to automatically dismiss claims that the critic deems ridiculous, misconceived, paranoid, unfounded, outlandish, or irrational. The term often implies that the proposed explanation of events is perceived as violating Occam's razor or the principle of Falsifiability. A conspiracy theory that is proven to be correct, such as the notion that United States President Richard Nixon and his aides conspired to cover up Watergate, is usually referred to as something else, such as investigative journalism or historical analysis. "Some historians have put forward the idea that more recently the United States has become the home of conspiracy theories because so many high-level prominent conspiracies have been undertaken and uncovered since the 1960s". The existence of such real conspiracies helps feed the belief in conspiracy theories.

Katherine K. Young states, "the fact remains, however, that not all conspiracies are imagined by paranoids. Historians show that every real conspiracy has had at least four characteristic features: groups, not isolated individuals; illegal or sinister aims, not ones that would benefit society as a whole; orchestrated acts, not a series of spontaneous and haphazard ones; and secret planning, not public discussion". Historians do not use the word 'conspiracy' to describe accurate historical reports. On the contrary, they use it to indicate a lack of veracity and objectivity.">>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Conspiracy-A-Go-Go

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Art Neuendorffer