My Lone Bat Flys Again

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

My Lone Bat Flys Again

Post by Beyond » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Here it is November 8, and the lone Bat that resides in my little barn is out flying around in back! It's mostly flying just below the setting sun's rays, but i would have thought it would be in hibernation by now. Especially with having 15' F weather overnight, a few times already, not long ago. Right now, as the sun is starting to go down, it's still 60' F. We're having a bit of a warm spell for a few days. Tomorrow should be close to 70' F!! I guess the bat is getting some last minute 'warm' meals before the reality of the season sets in. YEA!! Get them bugs :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: My Lone Bat Flys Again

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Beyond wrote:
Here it is November 8, and the lone Bat that resides in my little barn is out flying around in back!
And here we all thought that you kept all your bats in your belfry.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:45 pm

haha, IF i had a belfry, i would probably have bats. But all i have is a small barn and (1)-Lone bat. Once in a while in the summer, I'll see two bats flying around for a while. Then it always goes back to one bat. My neighbor has horses, dogs, cats, and now chickens. I've got my bat. Why, i couldn't work up a good case of going -bats- if i had to. :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 am

You've got a bat! I'm envious!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:36 am

Ann wrote:You've got a bat! I'm envious!

Ann
YUP!! My own personal bug removel system. Dragonflies by day, The Lone Bat by night. When you live next to a swamp.... ya need all the help ya can get! Don't you have bats in Sweden??

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:40 am

Don't you have bats in Sweden??
Sure we do, but not around my house! :cry:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 am

Ann wrote:
Don't you have bats in Sweden??
Sure we do, but not around my house! :cry:

Ann
Awwwww, there-there, now. Why don't you make a little bat house?

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 am

Beyond wrote:
Ann wrote:
You've got a bat! I'm envious!
YUP!! My own personal bug removal system. Dragonflies by day, The Lone Bat by night. When you live next to a swamp.... ya need all the help ya can get!
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:14 pm

hahaha, yeah, sometimes there's a Joker in the swarm that just doesn't wanna play nice :!:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm

I had a couple of families of bats living in a cozy nook they'd discovered in my old house in California. I thought they were amazing but there was one disadvantage to the things... guano. Lots and lots of guano. It really starts to pile up and stink after a while. You can wash away the solid bits but I guess the urine still saturates the dirt and surrounding house structure.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Colonel "Bat" Guano (Keenan Wynn)
geckzilla wrote:
I had a couple of families of bats living in a cozy nook they'd discovered in my old house in California. I thought they were amazing but there was one disadvantage to the things... guano. Lots and lots of guano. It really starts to pile up and stink after a while.
http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0112.html wrote:
<<In the 1958 James Bond novel of Dr. No we are told that the eponymous villain changed his German name upon assuming U.S. citizenship (as did Dr. Strangelove and Henry Kissinger), and wanted to force missiles off their intended courses and targets. As a front for his secret island base, he employed Cuban workers to mine guano, an ingredient in fertilizers and munitions which probably inspired the name of the Strangelove character Col. "Bat" Guano (Keenan Wynn). Dr. Julius No meets his just demise when Bond entombs him in a guano avalanche, which apparently was too much even for the film version.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm

hahahaha, that's as good as the guy in WKRP in Cincinnati, that thought that the -phone cops- were after him. :lol:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 am

Bats are cutesy. I'm sure this one doesn't go to the bathroom too often.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Ann, for a bat, or any other wild critter, the whole outdoors is 'their' bathroom. So they don't have to go anywhere to -do 'their' thing- :lol:

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Beyond wrote:
Ann wrote:
Bats are cutesy. I'm sure this one doesn't go to the bathroom too often.
Ann, for a bat, or any other wild critter, the whole outdoors is 'their' bathroom. So they don't have to go anywhere to -do 'their' thing- :lol:
Quick, Robin, to the Batroom :!:
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:22 pm

geckzilla wrote:I had a couple of families of bats living in a cozy nook they'd discovered in my old house in California. I thought they were amazing but there was one disadvantage to the things... guano. Lots and lots of guano. It really starts to pile up and stink after a while. You can wash away the solid bits but I guess the urine still saturates the dirt and surrounding house structure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guano Thanks geckzilla; I learned a new word today! :| Don't know why I haven't ran across that one in 71 years? :?: :p:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Orin, maybe because you're not as 'Bats' as the rest of us :?:

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:38 pm

lucky shot.jpg
Hey Beyond, my lone bat would like to meet your lone bat!!! . . . maybe they could flit around together in happy harmony :)

This was a lucky capture just a few minutes ago as dusk was falling. Can't believe I caught it in focus! I think you can even just make out the moth he/she was homing-in on!

Still mild enough for them to be on the wing each evening here
(...long may it last!)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Beyond wrote:Orin, maybe because you're not as 'Bats' as the rest of us :?:
Hey Beyond; I don't know about 'Bats'; but I did have a little one sleeping under my Lilac bush one summer though. It flew away the next day and I never did see it again; or maybe a cat thought it was a mouse! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Once this past summer, I was swimming in my pool around dusk when I saw a bat swoop down from the sky and drink the water! I thought that was amazing.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Orin, maybe because you're not as 'Bats' as the rest of us :?:
Hey Beyond; I don't know about 'Bats'; but I did have a little one sleeping under my Lilac bush one summer though. It flew away the next day and I never did see it again; or maybe a cat thought it was a mouse! :mrgreen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Fledermaus wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<Die Fledermaus (The Bat) is an operetta composed by Johann Strauss II to a German libretto by Karl Haffner and Richard Genée.

The original source for Die Fledermaus is a farce by German playwright Julius Roderich Benedix (1811–1873), Das Gefängnis (The Prison). Another source is a French vaudeville play, Le réveillon, by Henri Meilhac and Ludovic Halévy. This was first translated by Karl Haffner into a non-musical play to be produced in Vienna. However, the peculiarly French custom of the réveillon (a midnight supper party) caused problems, which were solved by the decision to adapt the play as a libretto for Johann Strauss, with the réveillon replaced by a Viennese ball. At this point Haffner's translation was handed over for adaptation to Richard Genée, who subsequently claimed not only that he had made a fresh translation from scratch but that he had never even met Haffner.

The operetta premièred on 5 April 1874 at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna, and has been part of the regular operetta repertoire ever since. It was performed in New York under Bial at the Stadt Theatre on 21 November 1874, and then in English in London at the Alhambra Theatre on 18 December 1876, with the score heavily adapted by Hamilton Clarke. Its first London performance in the original German was in 1895. According to the archivist of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, "Twenty years after its production as a lyric opera in Vienna, Mahler raised the artistic status of Strauss’s work by producing it at the Hamburg Opera House … all the leading opera houses in Europe, notably Vienna and Munich, have brightened their regular repertoire by including it for occasional performance.">>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Die Fledermaus translated into english is----> :p: The real thing is a lot more fun :!:for me, anyway.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:23 am

TNT wrote:Once this past summer, I was swimming in my pool around dusk when I saw a bat swoop down from the sky and drink the water! I thought that was amazing.
That reminds me of an article I read a while back: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -pond.html
Custom camera setup just to take amazing photos of bats drinking.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:53 am

Wow, what an interesting article. I never knew how much equipment was needed to take a picture of a bat drinking water. The hard work does pay off, though. Very beautiful bats! :)
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 am

starstruck wrote:
lucky shot.jpg
Hey Beyond, my lone bat would like to meet your lone bat!!! . . . maybe they could flit around together in happy harmony :)

This was a lucky capture just a few minutes ago as dusk was falling. Can't believe I caught it in focus! I think you can even just make out the moth he/she was homing-in on!

Still mild enough for them to be on the wing each evening here
(...long may it last!)
The weather's getting colder here in Connecticut, so if you're Fast, bring it on over. More likely you'll have to wait till next spring, when young bats fancy's turn to.... well, being batty. :lol: