John Glenn Friendship 7 Day

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

John Glenn Friendship 7 Day

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 am

Today, in Ohio, is John Glenn Friendship 7 Day.

50 years ago, on Feb. 20, 1962 at 9:47 am EST, Glenn launched from Cape Canaveral's Launch Complex 14 to become the first American to orbit the Earth. In this image, Glenn enters his Friendship 7 capsule with assistance from technicians to begin his historic flight.

Before joining NASA as part of Project Mercury, Glenn already had a distinguished career as a pilot, receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross, Navy Unit Commendation for service in Korea, the World War II Victory Medal, the Navy's Astronaut Wings, the NASA Distinguished Service Medal, among others.

Glenn rejoined NASA in 1998 as a member of the STS-95 Discovery crew, becoming, at 77, the oldest person to go into space. This 9-day mission, from Oct. 29-Nov. 7, supported a variety of research payloads including deployment of the Hubble Space Telescope Orbital Systems Test Platform and investigations on space flight and the aging process.
"The most important thing we can do is inspire young minds and to advance the kind of science, math and technology education that will help youngsters take us to the next phase of space travel." ~ John Glenn
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Friendship 7: 50th Anniversary of John Glenn’s Flight

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:29 am

Friendship 7: 50th Anniversary of John Glenn’s Flight
Universe Today | Nancy Atkinson | 2012 Feb 17
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
On Feb. 20, 1962, John Glenn launched on the Friendship 7 flight, or Mercury 6, the first human orbital flight for NASA. Last night NASA premiered a video to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the flight, and have now made it available to share.

Glenn launched at 9:47:39 am EST from Cape Canaveral, orbiting Earth three times, with his flight lasting 88 minutes and 29 seconds. In total he flew 121,793 km (75,679 miles) reaching a speed of 28,234 km/h (17,544 mph.)

Why was his flight named Mercury 6, and why the nickname of Friendship 7?

To clarify the numbering system, Mercury 1 was unmanned and failed, but Mercury 1A, also unmanned was a success, followed by a successful Mercury 2 with Ham the chimpanzee on board, who survived the flight. Mercury 3 and Mercury 4 were the first manned suborbital flights for the US, and were successful. Mercury 5 was another chimpanzee flight, this time with Enos making the flight in the first use of the Atlas rocket for the Mercury program.

For the Friendship 7 nickname, the 7 represented the seven original Mercury astronauts. As for the name friendship, here’s what John Glenn said in his memoir:
  • “I set about naming the capsule. Al’s (Shepard) Freedom 7 had struck the right note. Gus (Grissom) in Liberty Bell 7, had been inspired by both patriotism and the capsule’s shape. I had several ideas, but I was trying very hard to keep Dave and Lyn (his children) involved and make them feel a part of my mission. I asked them if they would be willing to think about some names. I said, ‘There’s only one ground rule. The world is going to be watching, so the name should represent our country and the way we feel about the rest of the world.’ They pored over a thesaurus and wrote dozens of names in a notebook. Then they worked them down to several possibilities, names and words including; Columbia, Endeavour, America, Magellan, we, hope, harmony, and kindness. At the top of the list was their first choice: Friendship. I was so proud of them. They had chosen perfectly.”…

Discovery News: John Glenn's Historic Space Odyssey: Photos
Discovery News: John Glenn's Spaceflight Was Filled With Unknowns
Discovery News: John Glenn: 'Me Spaceman, You Native'

TechRepublic: John Glenn and Friendship 7, we have 50 years (photos)
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: John Glenn & Friendship 7 Day

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 am

Gee, now i feel :old:. I was halfway through a 4-year course at a technical training school.(instead of highschool)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: John Glenn Friendship 7 Day

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Is that red duct tape around the window of the Friendship 7? :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Beyond wrote:Gee, now i feel :old:. I was halfway through a 4-year course at a technical training school.(instead of highschool)
I wasn't born for another 21 years.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Is that red duct tape around the window of the Friendship 7? :shock:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

alphachapmtl
Ensign

Post by alphachapmtl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Mercury 4 Liberty Bell 7
Lost at sea, 1961-july-21
Recovered, 1999-july-20

The Mercury capsule was flown by astronaut Gus Grissom for 15 minutes in space on July 21, 1961.
Following a successful mission and splashdown, the Liberty Bell 7s hatch mysteriously blew off, causing it to take on water.
Eventually, the craft became too heavy for Marine helicopters to hold, and it was cut loose and sank 90 miles northeast of Grand Bahamas.
Grissom, the second American in space, found himself in the water for several anxious minutes before Marine divers rescued him.
http://articles.cnn.com/1999-07-20/tech ... _s=PM:TECH

http://www.enterprisemission.com/lib7.htm
http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviati ... e/MR-4.htm
http://www.oceaneering.com/advanced-tec ... very-rovs/
http://spaceprogram2010.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html

http://i40.tinypic.com/30jtixg.png

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/grissom50/

http://i40.tinypic.com/ivjwcm.jpg

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Beyond wrote:Gee, now i feel :old:. I was halfway through a 4-year course at a technical training school.(instead of highschool)
I wasn't born for another 21 years.
ha-ha, you're doin' pretty good for a youngster :yes: :clap:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 pm

What did John Glenn see?
NASA Earth Observatory | 2012 Feb 20

Fifty years ago, on February 20, 1962, John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth. He also was one of the first humans to study the planet from space.

Just 5 minutes and 44 seconds after launch, Glenn offered his first words about the view from his porthole: “This is Friendship 7. Can see clear back; a big cloud pattern way back across towards the Cape. Beautiful sight.”

Three hours later, at the beginning of his third orbit, Glenn photographed this panoramic view of Florida from the Georgia border (right, under clouds) to just north of Cape Canaveral. His American homeland was 162 miles (260 kilometers) below. “I have the Cape in sight down there,” he noted to mission controllers. “It looks real fine from up here. I can see the whole state of Florida just laid out like on a map. Beautiful.”

Glenn rocketed into space atop an Atlas rocket in a spacecraft dubbed Friendship 7. He reached a speed of 17,500 miles per hour as he made three orbits and traveled 75,679 miles in just under five hours. Along the way, he saw a dust storm and fires in Africa. He observed the glow of moonlight on the cloud tops and the ocean. He saw the wake of a ship and the different colored waters of the Gulf Stream. He saw a “brilliant blue band” on the horizon—the thin, fragile atmosphere of Earth.

In his official report written after the mission, he offered some highlights:
  • It was surprising how much of the earth's surface was covered by clouds...The different types of clouds—vertical developments, stratus clouds, and cumulus clouds—are readily distinguished...Only a few land areas were visible during the flight because of the cloud cover...

As I came across the United States, I could see New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah very clearly. I could also see rivers and lakes. I think the best view I had of any land area during the flight was the clear desert region around El Paso on the second pass across the United States. I could see the colors of the desert and the irrigated area north of El Paso.

Just off the east coast of Africa were two large storm areas. Weather Bureau scientists had wondered whether lightning could be seen on the night side, and it certainly can...Lightning could be seen flashing back and forth between the clouds, but most prominent were lightning flashes within thunderheads, illuminating them like light bulbs.
After splashing back down in the Atlantic Ocean near Grand Turk Island, Glenn described his flight with understated eloquence: “It was quite a day. I'm not sure what you can say about a day in which you see four beautiful sunsets in one day, but it's pretty interesting.”
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm

the mercury missions! 8-)
Mission Callsign Rocket Designation Pilot Launch Date Launch Time Duration Remarks
Mercury-Redstone 3 Freedom 7 Redstone MR-3 Shepard 5 May 1961 14:34 UTC 00d 00h
15 m 28s First American to make a suborbital flight into space
Mercury-Redstone 4 Liberty Bell 7 Redstone MR-4 Grissom 21 July 1961 12:20 UTC 00d 00h
15 m 37s Second suborbital flight. Spacecraft sank before recovery when hatch unexpectedly blew off, recovered 1999.
Mercury-Atlas 6 Friendship 7 Atlas MA-6 Glenn 20 February 1962 14:47 UTC 00d 04h
55 m 23s First American to orbit the Earth (for a total of 3 orbits). Spacecraft's retropack retained during re-entry due to concerns about heat shield.
Mercury-Atlas 7 Aurora 7 Atlas MA-7 Carpenter 24 May 1962 12:45 UTC 00d 04h
56 m 15s 3 orbits. Reentered off-target by 402 km. Pilot Carpenter replaced Deke Slayton.
Mercury-Atlas 8 Sigma 7 Atlas MA-8 Schirra 3 October 1962 12:15 UTC 00d 09h
13 m 11s Carried out engineering tests; six orbits
Mercury-Atlas 9 Faith 7 Atlas MA-9 Cooper 15 May 1963 13:04 UTC 01d 10h
19 m 49s First American in space for over a day. Last American to orbit the Earth solo. 22 orbits.

[edit] List of cancelled flightsMission Callsign Rocket Designation Pilot Launch Date Launch Time Duration Remarks
Mercury-Atlas 10 Freedom 7-II Atlas MA-10 Shepard N/A N/A N/A Intended to be a three-day mission in October 1963; canceled 13 June 1963.
Mercury-Atlas 11 Atlas MA-11 Grissom N/A N/A N/A Intended to be a one-day mission in 1963; canceled by October 1962.
Mercury-Atlas 12 Atlas MA-12 Schirra N/A N/A N/A Intended to be a one-day mission in 1963. Canceled by October 1962.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!