Music Thread.

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Music Thread.

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:04 pm

owlice wrote:This thread loads very slowly for me (also using Firefox) especially through my usual network, so I haven't been reading it. (I have a faster network available to me at the moment.)
Interesting. Something else in the environment, maybe? I'm using Firefox 13.0.1 (With AdBlock and Ghostery limiting some material... in the case of this page, the only thing I see being blocked is Google Analytics) on Windows 7, fully up to date.

I wonder if it's Google Analytics causing the problem? It's definitely a performance killer on web pages. With a single page, it's generally livable, but maybe the way the YouTube videos embed results in multiple instances of Analytics scripting and lots of background network traffic.

UPDATE: When I disable Ghostery blocking (allowing Google Analytics) the first page of this thread loads for me in about 10 seconds. With Google Analytics blocked, it loads in about a second (in both cases, with the cache cleared first). So Google Analytics is definitely a factor in page loading here.
Last edited by Chris Peterson on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Mañana, un buen día para empezar a responder. Aquí, todo va a peor. // Tomorrow, a good day to start answering. Here, everything goes to worse.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Last edited by Rothkko on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:18 pm

+ Bowie.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks, Chris; I don't block Google Analytics so that's likely the culprit.

I'm at a friend's house; the movie Auntie Mame is on the big screen (some great lines in this!) and my friend has been listening off and on to opera arias (online). Queen of the Night was the most recent, this one three times, the second time sung by a 14-year-old boy and the third by a 7-year-old boy. Oy!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:38 pm

owlice wrote:
Thanks, Chris; I don't block Google Analytics so that's likely the culprit.

I'm at a friend's house; the movie Auntie Mame is on the big screen (some great lines in this!)
If you have any more online questions be sure to write them down and Chris will explain them to you later.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:41 pm

owlice wrote:I'm at a friend's house; the movie Auntie Mame is on the big screen (some great lines in this!) and my friend has been listening off and on to opera arias (online). Queen of the Night was the most recent, this one three times, the second time sung by a 14-year-old boy and the third by a 7-year-old boy. Oy!
I'd think it's getting pretty marginal for a 14-year old boy to manage that aria.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:50 pm

But not the 7-year-old?! :D

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Además de a David Bowie, también crecí escuchando a Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk... // Besides to David Bowie, also I grew listening to Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk...

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:58 pm

owlice wrote:But not the 7-year-old?! :D
There's a reason that young boys have sung material in this range since music was invented. A 7-year old has a few more years to manage it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Or attempt it, anyway. (The 14-year-old was better.)

Rothkko, Tangerine Dream is a favorite in my house, too.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:30 pm

I can't watch some youtube videos uploaded in Asterisk becaues GEMA prohibits and blocks it in Germany. :evil:

Some years ago, I listened to a radio morning show and they talked about misheard lyrics, one person told the speakers that
his young sister, seven years old, wrote in his friendship book that her favourite song is Agathe Bauer (original from the band Snap)... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Since then, all misheard lyrics songs are called Agathe Bauer Songs :D

I love this piece by Orff and I know the lyrics, but here you can hear words whitch Orff didn't intend to write :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
I thought, Sting can just talk, but when I listened to this song, I am convinced that he can sing if he tries :D
He sings with his duet partner Cheb Mami, this is not the original clip, but it is the one with best sound.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-10I6m9Ww&[/youtube]

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Moonlady, thanks very very much for the Orff misheard lyrics video; my friend and I have sung that work. We sat here watching that YouTube together laughing our heads off!! When my son was young, he and I often sang "O for tuna/Not for chicken/O for tuna casserole" to the opening of that work. (The first rebus he made up was for O Fortuna; he was about 4 years old at the time.)

I have a lot of memories associated with the Orff work; it was one of three works I had always especially wanted to do in concert. When the choral director with whom I sang for 20+ years set the program for his final concert before retirement, he programmed Carmina Burana and another of the other works on my short list. So bittersweet for me, to finally have the opportunity to do these two works... but for his last concert!

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 am

Una portada, un disco de vinilo, que me marcaron; aunque yo no sabía todavía qué era una nebulosa planetaria (tampoco sé mucho más hoy... por qué se les llama nebulosas planetarias, y no nebulosas estelares?). // A cover, a vinyl record, which marked me, although I did not know what was still a planetary nebulae (I do not know much more today... Why there are called they nebulae planetary, and not nebulae stellar)?)
Last edited by Rothkko on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 am

Moonlady, thanks for that incredibly funny misheard lyrics Carmina Burana video! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Oh, the music thread. Discussing young boys singing? Let me drop my all times favorite:

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I like the music of Vivaldi, but also of Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Rodrigo, Villalobos, Orff, Teleman, Carrulli.
In the " light music" of The Beetles, Rolling Stones, Abba.
I like disco music, jazz, classical rock and some heavy rock, too.
There is so much beautiful music in the planet Earth, indeed.

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:20 pm

In the Court of the Crimson King, King Crimsom: otro de aquellos discos fundacionales... // another of those records foundational...
"Barry Godber no era pintor sino un programador de computadoras. Esta pintura fue la única que hizo. Él era amigo de Peter Sinfield y murió en 1970 de un ataque al corazón, cuando tenía 24 años... "
"Barry Godber was not a painter but a computer programmer. This painting was the only one who did. He was a friend of Peter Sinfield and died in 1970 of a heart attack at age 24" ... Robert Fripp.

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Música, astronomía... no puede faltar un tal señor Vangelis, con Alpha, BSO de Blade Runner, Mythodea, para la misión Mars Odyssey de la NASA...
Music, astronomy ... can not miss a Mr. Vangelis, with Alpha, Blade Runner soundtrack, Mythodea (Mars Odyssey mission for NASA) ...

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 pm

I do like King Crimson but I guess I’m gettin’ old… I enjoy the music in my yard from the weather and critters as much as, sometimes more so, than human creations.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 am

Wow Owlice, you sing in a choir! Well we can start our own Asterisk* Band! You are our lead singer, I do the flutes and a little guitar, and we need piano, violin, drums
and other instruments you do play, anyone interested? If APOD is going to need money, we do a tour like the aid bands :thumb_up:

I love the French movie Les Choristes / The Chorus (2004)

here is a trailer: ( you can see on the right side a link to watch the full movie, my dvd I lent never came back)
one of my favourite song from this movie is this one:
Vois Sur Ton Chemin / See Upon Your Path
it's got English subtitle, the lyrics are great!
In the front row, you can see a boy who is starring in the movie too.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:41 am

Moonlady, I sang in a chorus; I don't anymore. It was lovely to be able to and I had a lot of good opportunities through/with it. And I met my best friend, the one I was visiting last weekend, through chorus when we were assigned to stand next to each other for a concert in what was then West Berlin. But not singing any longer won't stop me from offering up neufer as your pianist! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the lead on Les Choristes; I'll look for it.

Rothkko, they are called planetary nebulae because in early telescopes, they appeared round; people thought they looked like planets. It's an old term that we are stuck with now. // Rothkko, se llaman nebulosas planetarias, porque en los primeros telescopios, aparecieron redonda; la gente pensaba que se parecía a los planetas. Es un término antiguo que estamos estancados con el ahora.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Count me in as the drummer, though my drumming style (ability, really) is more suited to blues and simpler forms of rock than anything else. Or I could play a little sax, bass or guitar (but not lead guitar.)

Rob

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 pm

My first band was called the Synthetic Bananas. We practiced in my backyard with the tiny amps resting on the picnic table. As my band endeavor advanced our name changed to Mothra (after the Japanese SciFi monster). It’s been a while, but I can still play a little guitar if you guys are interested.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:19 pm

A humorous ditty! :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc