Music Thread.

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14417
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Music Thread.

Postby neufer » Wed May 11, 2016 3:03 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Haha, I love that guy's work.

    Humans aren't as good as we should be in our capacity to enthalpize with feelings and thoughts of others, be they humans or other animals on Earth. So maybe part of our formal education should be training in enthalpy. Imagine how different the world would be if, in fact, that were 'reading, writing, arithmetic, enthalpy.' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Fred the Cat » Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm

neufer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
Haha, I love that guy's work.

    Humans aren't as good as we should be in our capacity to enthalpize with feelings and thoughts of others, be they humans or other animals on Earth. So maybe part of our formal education should be training in enthalpy. Imagine how different the world would be if, in fact, that were 'reading, writing, arithmetic, enthalpy.' - Neil deGrasse Tyson


I like that Art. Energy is better given than received. Do unto others as you would undo yourself. In other words give it time before you whine. Or resonance not dissonance. Maybe do don't doodoo.

I'm full of them – or it. :yes:
Feynman's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13273
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Chris Peterson » Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 pm

neufer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Haha, I love that guy's work.

    Humans aren't as good as we should be in our capacity to enthalpize with feelings and thoughts of others, be they humans or other animals on Earth. So maybe part of our formal education should be training in enthalpy. Imagine how different the world would be if, in fact, that were 'reading, writing, arithmetic, enthalpy.' - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'm not sure if Neil would appreciate the misquote or not.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14417
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Music Thread.

Postby neufer » Wed May 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
I'm not sure if Neil would appreciate the misquote or not.

    I'm sure he'd be very enthalpetic.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Fred the Cat » Wed May 18, 2016 3:18 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
I'm not sure if Neil would appreciate the misquote or not.

    I'm sure he'd be very enthalpetic.


I e-mailed him to ask but haven't heard back yet. :|
Feynman's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Wah? Wah!

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Wah? Wah! » Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
I'm not sure if Neil would appreciate the misquote or not.

    I'm sure he'd be very enthalpetic.


Sounds like your waxing enthalpomorphic. Or perhaps just trying to get the wax to melt.

User avatar
Moonlady
Selenian
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Moonlady » Thu May 19, 2016 1:36 pm

My childhood favourit hit! Not that I was born in the time when Smetana published his work in 1875, but it is a piece I love since I heard it the first time and I still enjoy it.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Music Thread.

Postby BMAONE23 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8640
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby geckzilla » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:38 am

The creepiest hymn, the Hymn of Acxiom. Or, really, it could be about Facebook these days.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8640
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby geckzilla » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:29 am

The Asteriskian's favorite song to criticize and compare versions of. My comment: Why. is. this. on. a Christmas album.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13273
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:45 pm

geckzilla wrote:The Asteriskian's favorite song to criticize and compare versions of.

Not my favorite version, but I do kind of like it.

My comment: Why. is. this. on. a Christmas album.

My comment: Why. Christmas albums?
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8640
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby geckzilla » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:The Asteriskian's favorite song to criticize and compare versions of.

Not my favorite version, but I do kind of like it.

I can just fast forward to hat guy's part. Holy moly.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13273
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:27 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Darryl Purpose since I first encountered him at a concert a couple of months ago.

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

I've also been listening to a lot of Passenger, a singer I had somehow overlooked until recently.

Both of these guys are first rate poets, compose great tunes, and are worth checking out if you don't already know them. I've collected all their albums.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Fred the Cat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Great music Chris. Thanks for the post. :ssmile:
Feynman's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 8640
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby geckzilla » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:01 am

Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen dead at 82

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/le ... -1.3846669
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 16309
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Music Thread.

Postby bystander » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:55 am

geckzilla wrote:
Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen dead at 82

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/le ... -1.3846669

RIP
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: Music Thread.

Postby rstevenson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:07 pm

This bit of Cohen's lyrics perhaps belongs in the Politics thread...

    Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
    Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
    Everybody knows that the war is over
    Everybody knows the good guys lost
    Everybody knows the fight was fixed
    The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows

Rob

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13273
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:33 pm

rstevenson wrote:This bit of Cohen's lyrics perhaps belongs in the Politics thread...

    Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
    Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
    Everybody knows that the war is over
    Everybody knows the good guys lost
    Everybody knows the fight was fixed
    The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows

And if you can completely keep it together reading this tribute- especially after this nightmare of a week- you should probably just go jump off a ledge.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 8467
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Ann » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:27 pm

He was a great poet, a great composer and a great performer. I don't know what he was like in his youth, but in his old age, he was a gentleman, too.

He will be sorely missed.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14417
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah and a brawla, brawla sooit

Postby neufer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:31 pm

-----------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hut-Sut_Song

<<"The Hut-Sut Song (a Swedish Serenade)" is a novelty song from the 1940s with nonsense lyrics. The song was written in 1941 by Leo V. Killion, Ted McMichael and Jack Owens. The first and most popular recording was by Horace Heidt and His Musical Knights.

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla, brawla too it
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla sooit
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla, brawla too it
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla sooit

    Now the Rawlson is a Swedish town, the Rillerah is a stream
    The brawla is the boy and girl, the Hut-Sut is their dream

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla, brawla too it
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla sooit

    In a town in Sweden by a stream so clear and cool
    There sat a boy just a fishin' and a dreamin' when he should have been in school
    Now, he couldn't read or write a single Swedish word but happiness he found
    In a little Swedish song he heard here's the way he made it sound

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah...

    Now the girl played hooky from school that day, came down to the stream
    She sat down beside the little Swedish boy and they began to dream

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah...

    Now the brawla is the boy and girl, the Hut-Sut is their dream
    The sooit is their teacher who caught them by the stream

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah...

    Now the boy and girl are back in school, shattered is their dream
    The teacher planted poison oak all along the stream

    It's a crazy kind of a song to belong to a boy and girl
    In love with a beautiful dream
    But they love to sing, swing all the live long day
    Shood to soon shahoon la shoon da shoo shooga shoogan on the Rillerah
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
The popularity of the song is lampooned in a 1940s film short. In the film, The King's Men (who also performed on Fibber McGee and Molly), play young men living in a boarding house who are endlessly singing the song while getting dressed, eating dinner, playing cards, etc., until an exasperated fellow boarder finally has them removed to an insane asylum.

The lyrics of the chorus are supposed to be a garbled rendition of a Swedish folk song. The song purports to define some of the words, supposedly Swedish: "Rawlson" being a Swedish town, "rillerah" being a stream, "brawla" being the boy and girl, "hut-sut" being their dream and "sooit" being the schoolteacher. The story told in the song is that of a boy (and later a girl) who play hooky from school and spend their days fishing and dreaming by the riverbank, until their schoolteacher finds them and, to prevent the incident from happening again, "plant(s) poison oak all along the stream." The children end up back at school. To explain why the words bear no resemblance to actual Swedish language, the song notes that the boy didn't know any Swedish and that the nonsense words were simply ones the boy made up to go along with the melody he heard.

The song was also recorded by various artists such as Mel Tormé, Freddy Martin, The Four King Sisters and Spike Jones. The song is of the same genre as other novelty songs of the era, such as "Mairzy Doats" and "Three Little Fishies (Itty Bitty Pool)." Some contend that the song was a rewriting of an unpublished Missouri River song called "Hot Shot Dawson".

The song is featured in the movies From Here to Eternity, Ace in the Hole, and A Christmas Story. In the 1942 Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies animated short Horton Hatches the Egg, the lyrics are further garbled as "Hut sut ra, sat on a willowa, so on, so on, so forth". A snippet of the song was also sung by Rowlf the Dog in a Veterinarians' Hospital sketch on the Muppet Show.>>
---------------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 8467
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah and a brawla, brawla sooit

Postby Ann » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 am

neufer wrote:-----------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hut-Sut_Song

<<"The Hut-Sut Song (a Swedish Serenade)" is a novelty song from the 1940s with nonsense lyrics. The song was written in 1941 by Leo V. Killion, Ted McMichael and Jack Owens. The first and most popular recording was by Horace Heidt and His Musical Knights.

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla, brawla too it
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla sooit
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla, brawla too it
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla sooit

    Now the Rawlson is a Swedish town, the Rillerah is a stream
    The brawla is the boy and girl, the Hut-Sut is their dream

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla, brawla too it
    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah, add a little brawla sooit

    In a town in Sweden by a stream so clear and cool
    There sat a boy just a fishin' and a dreamin' when he should have been in school
    Now, he couldn't read or write a single Swedish word but happiness he found
    In a little Swedish song he heard here's the way he made it sound

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah...

    Now the girl played hooky from school that day, came down to the stream
    She sat down beside the little Swedish boy and they began to dream

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah...

    Now the brawla is the boy and girl, the Hut-Sut is their dream
    The sooit is their teacher who caught them by the stream

    Hut-Sut Rawlson on the Rillerah...

    Now the boy and girl are back in school, shattered is their dream
    The teacher planted poison oak all along the stream

    It's a crazy kind of a song to belong to a boy and girl
    In love with a beautiful dream
    But they love to sing, swing all the live long day
    Shood to soon shahoon la shoon da shoo shooga shoogan on the Rillerah
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
The popularity of the song is lampooned in a 1940s film short. In the film, The King's Men (who also performed on Fibber McGee and Molly), play young men living in a boarding house who are endlessly singing the song while getting dressed, eating dinner, playing cards, etc., until an exasperated fellow boarder finally has them removed to an insane asylum.

The lyrics of the chorus are supposed to be a garbled rendition of a Swedish folk song. The song purports to define some of the words, supposedly Swedish: "Rawlson" being a Swedish town, "rillerah" being a stream, "brawla" being the boy and girl, "hut-sut" being their dream and "sooit" being the schoolteacher. The story told in the song is that of a boy (and later a girl) who play hooky from school and spend their days fishing and dreaming by the riverbank, until their schoolteacher finds them and, to prevent the incident from happening again, "plant(s) poison oak all along the stream." The children end up back at school. To explain why the words bear no resemblance to actual Swedish language, the song notes that the boy didn't know any Swedish and that the nonsense words were simply ones the boy made up to go along with the melody he heard.

The song was also recorded by various artists such as Mel Tormé, Freddy Martin, The Four King Sisters and Spike Jones. The song is of the same genre as other novelty songs of the era, such as "Mairzy Doats" and "Three Little Fishies (Itty Bitty Pool)." Some contend that the song was a rewriting of an unpublished Missouri River song called "Hot Shot Dawson".

The song is featured in the movies From Here to Eternity, Ace in the Hole, and A Christmas Story. In the 1942 Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies animated short Horton Hatches the Egg, the lyrics are further garbled as "Hut sut ra, sat on a willowa, so on, so on, so forth". A snippet of the song was also sung by Rowlf the Dog in a Veterinarians' Hospital sketch on the Muppet Show.>>
---------------------------------------------


The tune doesn't resemble that of any Swedish folk song that I have heard of! And as for the story, no Swedish teacher would plant poison oak along streams in Sweden, because poison oak doesn't grow here! (And what I know about poison oak, I basically learned from the movie Coraline.)

Swedish Wikipedia has this to say about poison oak (called giftsumak by those who know a Swedish name for it), translated from Swedish into English via Google translate:

Poison ivy (Toxicodendron diversilobum) is a plant of the family anacardiaceae. The most famous name of the plant is the English name of Western Poison Oak. On occasions such as relative Toxicodendron radicans severe allergic contact dermatitis, poison ivy dermatitis. Poison ivy are very common in the US and Canada's west coast.


That's about as much gobbledygook as the "Swedish" Hut-Sut song! The lyrics of that song really only resemble the kind of "Swedish" that is spoken by the Swedish chef on the Muppet show!

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 8467
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Music for elephants

Postby Ann » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I just came across this, and couldn't resist it.

Ann
Color Commentator

Rothkko
Lieutenant
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Rothkko » Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 pm

rest in peace, Chris Cornell
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Rothkko
Lieutenant
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Music Thread.

Postby Rothkko » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:30 pm

50 years
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/lucy-the-first-mission-to-jupiter-s-trojans

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: Music Thread.

Postby rstevenson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 pm

Incredible that it's been that long. I can't be 50 years older than I was then!

DId you know -- trivia alert -- that when the Beatles were in Toronto for 2 concerts in August 1966, the head of their police security squad was named Sgt. Randall Pepper? And that on Paul's left shoulder in the album cover photo there is an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) patch?

Jus' sayin'.

Rob

PS
My future (and still current) wife was one of the girls in the audience for one of those two concerts. She wasn't impressed because all the screaming kept her from hearing them play.


Return to “Open Space: Discuss Anything”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], LinkDex and 1 guest