An interesting fossil?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

An interesting fossil?

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Is this a fossil? It was found in a Coal Mine
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/photo/vie ... ssil/58951

Doum
A personalized rank.

Re: An interesting fossil?

Post by Doum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Since all coal are made from plant that have a few hundred of million of years, i say probably it is but of what. Plant, Mushroom, lichen..... :|

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Look very very close! You see oval shaped heads on larger oval shaped bodies, the heads have large eyes!

Coals and mineral oil is made of an ancient (alien) civilisation! :yes: :mrgreen:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm

GIANT TADPOLES.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Doum wrote:
Since all coal are made from plant that have a few hundred of million of years, i say probably it is but of what. Plant, Mushroom, lichen..... :|
http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/171367/enlarge wrote: <<Tree bark fossil. This pattern, preserved in rock dating to the Lower Carboniferous Period (360-286 million years ago), is from the bark of the trunk of a Lepidodendron sp. tree. These plants grew in swamps. The remains of the plants from this time form much of the coal reserves in the ground. This diamond-shaped pattern was typical of the bark on the upper part of the tree. These enormous trees grew to 30-40 metres in height. The only surviving relatives today are tiny mosses. The area seen is 11 centimetres wide.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 pm

I was going to say it reminded me of cycad bark.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:55 am

Tire treads marks, laid down by Bibendum's ancestors.

Rob

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:09 am

rstevenson wrote:Tire treads marks, laid down by Bibendum's ancestors.

Rob
Huh! I never new the Michelin man's name was Bibendum.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:46 am

Fascinating. I think you are right about the tree bark thing, Art.
It reminds me of a TV documentary I saw recently about very early complex life forms on the Earth. The host, David Attenborough, talked about early "fractal" life forms, which, as far as I understood, basically just branched and branched... :shock:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:21 am

Ann wrote:Fascinating. I think you are right about the tree bark thing, Art.
That's the thing about Art, Ann. He hardly ever goes barking up the wrong tree. :lol2:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 am

Beyond wrote:
rstevenson wrote:
Tire treads marks, laid down by Bibendum's ancestors.
Huh! I never new the Michelin man's name was Bibendum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibendum wrote:
<<While attending the Universal and Colonial Exposition in Lyon in 1894, Edouard and André Michelin noticed a stack of tires that suggested to Edouard the figure of a man without arms. Four years later, André met French cartoonist Marius Rossillon, popularly known as O'Galop, who showed him a rejected image he had created for a Munich brewery—a large, regal figure holding a huge glass of beer and quoting Horace's phrase "Nunc est bibendum" (Now is the time to drink). André immediately suggested replacing the man with a figure made from tires. Thus O'Galop transformed the earlier image into Michelin's symbol. Today, Bibendum is one of the world's most recognised trademarks, representing Michelin in over 150 countries.

The 1898 poster showed him offering the toast Nunc est bibendum!!.. to his scrawny competitors with a glass full of road hazards, with the title and the tag C'est à dire: À votre santé. Le pneu Michelin boit l'obstacle ("That is to say, to your health. The Michelin tire drinks up obstacles"). The implication is that Michelin tires will easily take on road hazards. The company used this basic poster format for fifteen years, adding its latest products to the table in front of the figure. It is unclear when the word "Bibendum" came to be the name of the character himself. At the latest, it was in 1908, when Michelin commissioned Curnonsky to write a newspaper column signed "Bibendum".

Since 1912, tires have taken on a black appearance because carbon is added as a preservative and strengthener to the base rubber material. Before then, tires took on a gray-white or light, translucent beige colour. Bibendum's appearance also changed. Though briefly featured in several print ads, Michelin quickly changed back his appearance, citing printing and aesthetic issues for the change, and not racial concerns as commonly believed.

The name of the plump tire-man has entered the language to describe someone obese or wearing comically bulky clothing. (e.g. "How can I wrap up warm without looking like the Michelin Man?") In Spanish, michelín has acquired the meaning of the "spare tire", or folds of fatty skin around the waist. Bibendum's shape has changed over the years. O'Galop's logo was based on bicycle tires, wore pince-nez glasses with lanyard, and smoked a cigar. By the 1980s, Bibendum was being shown running, and in 1998, his 100th anniversary, a slimmed-down version became the company's new logo. He had long since given up the cigar and pince-nez. The slimming of the logo reflected lower-profile, smaller tires of modern cars. Bib even had a similar-looking puppy as a companion when the duo were CGI animated for recent American television advertisements.

Bibendum made a brief guest appearance in the Asterix series, as the chariot-wheel dealer in certain translations, including the English one, of Asterix in Switzerland. In the 2009 animated, Academy Award-winning satire Logorama, a series of Bibenda play police detectives, a sheriff, and a squad of SWAT personnel who all work together to try to bring down a psychotic, ultraviolent criminal played by Ronald McDonald.>>
Art Neuendorffer