Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Where am I?

Post by Beyond » Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Hmm... what makes stars look good to Ann. Gee, that's a hard one :!: It couldn't be blue, that's too obvious. It must be the twinkle. :mrgreen: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 1:57 pm

OK - with the Pleides as a clue, I've been scouring The Giraffe for an open cluster with notable star-formation.

First thought is
NGC 1502
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-1502.htm (the photo is a bit big for hot-linking)

but it is described as being around the giraffe's neck - which doesn't fit with what Ann said about bending to reach.

So, second thought. Is that these two are a possibility - but I'm not able to home in on TWO definite stars.

NGC 2366 and NGC 2363 (in Camelopardalus)

http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/heic1207
The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has made detailed observations of the dwarf galaxy NGC 2366. While it lacks the elegant spiral arms of many larger galaxies, NGC 2366 is home to a bright, star-forming nebula and is close enough for astronomers to discern its individual stars.

The starry mist streaking across this image obtained by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope is the central part of the dwarf galaxy known as NGC 2366. The most obvious feature in this galaxy is a large nebula visible in the upper-right part of the image, an object listed just a few entries prior in the New General Catalogue as NGC 2363.
Although NGC 2366 might be small by the standards of galaxies, many of its stars are not, and the galaxy is home to numerous gigantic blue stars. The blue dots scattered throughout the galaxy speak to the burst of star formation that the galaxy has undergone in recent cosmic time. A new generation of these stellar titans has lit up the nebula NGC 2363.
Warm??
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm

No, Margarita, you're not warm!

I do love galaxy NGC 2366. It's very blue indeed! Me happy!!! :D :D :D

But my objects - remember, my two objects - are not galaxies. They are stars.

Lovely Pleiades is a truly wonderful cluster, but my two stars are not in an obvious cluster. NGC 1502 is lovely, but I'm not looking for a cluster.

As for Pleiades, there is no star formation in that cluster! No-no-no!!! Star formation has ended there long ago. In order for star formation to occur, you must have some dark, dense nebulae. There are no such nebulae in the Pleiades.

But there are other nebulae in the Pleiades...hmmmmm? Maybe you can find such nebulae in Camelopardalis, too? Not necessarily next to a cluster?

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Here's another clue, while I'm at it. My "two blue eyes" of Camelopardalis are eyeing this man as well as the big McDonalds in the sky! :chomp:

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Ann wrote:Here's another clue, while I'm at it. My "two blue eyes" of Camelopardalis are eyeing this man as well as the big McDonalds in the sky! :chomp:

Ann
OK, back to the drawing board!
With this clue - I get Perseus. But am puzzled by the reference to the big McDonalds in the sky! Huh?
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

How about you turn it upside down, Margarita? What do you get then?

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Here's another clue - although you shouldn't be thinking "Elizabeth"! (And that bearskin hat guard has nothing to do with it.)

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:26 pm

No? Take a look at this constellation map, then!

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Oh yes - Queen Cassiopeia! It does look like MacDonald's M - now I look.

CS Cam - otherwise HD21291?? Big and blue and binary and near a reflection nebula..

I'm saving my powder and putting no more info - as I'll be sure to be wrong.

There are over ONE THOUSAND STARS making up the almost invisible spots of this giraffe... And I'm visiting ALL OF THEM!!

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Margarita wrote:
CS Cam - otherwise HD21291?? Big and blue and binary and near a reflection nebula..
Yes, yes, yes!!! You just got ONE of them!

What's the other one? Look at the map. Where is CS Cam? Can you see another star near it on the map?

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Ann wrote:Here's another clue - although you shouldn't be thinking "Elizabeth"! (And that bearskin hat guard has nothing to do with it.)

Ann
That 'Guard' in the bearskin is PRINCE PHILIP - THE QUEEN'S HUSBAND!
M

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 3:36 pm

The thing is, Ann, is that I don't have a star map that gives all the names/designations of the stars! Look at the one posted - it doesn't have CS Cam named. I've done HUGE detection to get that name!
M

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:40 pm

I get what you mean, Margarita. I am duly impressed - I do know what it takes to track down stars (I've done a bit of that in my life...).

So, okay. The nebulosity around CS Cam is called van den Bergh 14. Maybe you can google that? Maybe you can look for pictures? Maybe you can look for another van den Bergh number which is close to van den Bergh 14?

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 pm

HD21389? I've just found it as you were posting. On
http://www.topastronomer.com/StarCharts ... rdalis.php

M

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Margarita wrote:
HD21389?

Yes indeed, also known as CE Cam! :-D :clap: :-D :clap: :-D :clap: :-D :clap: :-D :clap:

Isn't the Adam Block image lovely? I think it's wonderful.
This picture by Emil Ivanov is also stunning. I think that is CE Cam and reflection nebula van den Bergh 15 on the left, and CS Cam, in fainter reflection nebula van den Bergh 14, at far right.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 3:58 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
Ann wrote:Here's another clue - although you shouldn't be thinking "Elizabeth"! (And that bearskin hat guard has nothing to do with it.)

Ann
That 'Guard' in the bearskin is PRINCE PHILIP - THE QUEEN'S HUSBAND!
M
Oh. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well, I actually thought it looked a bit like him.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm

phew.jpg
Yes - absolutely beeee - yooo--ti -full!

I do need to get a good star atlas - I've got Stellarium on my Linux computer, but when I'm lying down "resting", like now, I'm using my Tablet and reliant on the internet. And sites that my paranoid android can handle! I'd prefer to have a proper BOOK.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Unfortunately I wouldn't know, Margarita. I always use my software, called Guide. With it, I can find all the blue stars in the sky, and I can read about their spectral classes, B-V indexes, Hipparcos or Tycho parallaxes, apparent and estimated absolute magnitudes - yay!!!

If you are interested in the software I use, you can read about it here.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Thank you for the link, Ann. Wow! Guide is a very impressive bit of software.... I'll seriously consider getting it when I get my new computer. Probably WILL be a iMac - I've had some very good feedback on it.

Margarita

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 pm

where_am_I.jpg
A little light puzzle
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Well... at the risk of being caught up in a wonderfully wacky Whizzy Wheeler space puzzle, I'll say this... for me, the clue is soooo light, that i can't grab ahold of it. Although the sail reminds me of a Phoenician sail.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Beyond wrote:Well... at the risk of being caught up in a wonderfully wacky Whizzy Wheeler space puzzle, I'll say this... for me, the clue is soooo light, that i can't grab ahold of it. Although the sail reminds me of a Phoenician sail.
where_do_I_point.jpeg
An extra clue, then - then I must wheel off to bed!
Night night
Margarita

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 pm

We look at the Vela of Carina?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Ah, it must have to do with the type of vessel that the sail is attached to, that i don't recognize, but apparently Moonlady does. Sail away with it Moonlady. :yes:
Looks like the Whizzy Wheeler has parked for the night. We'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if you're right, Moonlady.