Where am I?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Where am I?

Post by Ann » Thu May 23, 2013 12:45 am

Large Binocular Telescope, Stephen? That's interesting. Yes, NGC 1666 should be first in line to be photographed by it. Or maybe NGC 666 should be first in line. This is a small fuzzy galaxy, and my software doesn't even know if it is a spiral or not. It's playing demonic tricks on us!

I was going to honour you Americans by finding your Declaration of Independence NGC 1776 galaxy for you, but it turns out NGC 1776 is not a galaxy but a cluster, located in the Large Magellanic Cloud. NGC 1776 can be seen in this annotated image of the LMC, but unfortunately NGC 1776 itself didn't receive a label! It is located at about 2 o'clock, a small compact blue object to the left of a complex of flamboyant pink nebulae and clusters. It can be found somewhere between labels N11 and N14, closer to N11 than to N14.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 23, 2013 1:53 am

A cluster? Well that works out good! There were a 'cluster' of 13 colonies that started the revolutionary war with their Declaration of independence.

A Flamboyant pink nebulae, you say. Oh good :!: I get to use my infrapink picture again. ((Don't look ED, don't want you in trouble again. :mrgreen: ))
1365980983.jpg
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 am

The image of the Large Magellanic Cloud is amazing, and somewhat mind-dazzling, Ann. I had no IDEA that there would be so many labeled 'objects' within it.

Several of the classification prefixes are unknown to me and are not in the
Wikipedia list of catalogues

Rather than just ASK, I thought I'd set a quiz about one of the designations!

It is PART of this:

And shares its name with
>> a very fine cat, a very fine cat indeed.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Hodge was a very fine cat.
Hodge 301 in the Tarantula Nebula

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm

stephen63 wrote:Hodge was a very fine cat.
Hodge 301 in the Tarantula Nebula
Splendid Stephen!

Can you tell me who said that Hodge was a very fine cat?

BUT - Now, do you know what the 'Hodge' in Hodge 301 - and in Hodge 8, Hodge 6 and Hodge 5 - stands for?! (These latter are all in the amazing image of the Large Magellanic Cloud that Ann posted. http://www.starsurfin.com/lmc_lbl.jpg)

I genuinely want to know this, as I've googled for it and searched the lists of astronomical catalogues that I know of - but have reached precisely ZILCH, NADA, NUFFIN'. :!: :!:

It is really irritating me, daft and unimportant tho it probably is... :roll:

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:BUT - Now, do you know what the 'Hodge' in Hodge 301 - and in Hodge 8, Hodge 6 and Hodge 5 - stands for?!
I think it probably stands for Paul W. Hodge, but I won't swear to it.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Hodge belonged to Samuel Johnson, an English poet, essayist, moralist, literary critic, biographer, editor and lexicographer.(Wiki)

From what I can tell, those objects are named after Jonathan T. Hodge, an American astronomer. Here is a link to a very short description of Barnard's Galaxy. It has several references to observations made by Hodge. http://www.astronomy-mall.com/Adventure ... arnard.htm
Perhaps most notably for OB associations.

Edit: After reading Bystander's link, I stand corrected(but I'm still right about the cat)

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Thank you, both bystander and Stephen, for the information about the ASTRONOMER(s) called Hodge. (There were two, it appears. I wonder if they are related.) Apart from quelling my irritation, it was very interesting and informative to read the links that you both provided

Regarding the cat called Hodge:
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/monument-hodge-cat

“I never shall forget the indulgence with which he treated Hodge, his cat... I recollect him one day scrambling up Dr. Johnson's breast, apparently with much satisfaction, while my friend smiling and half-whistling, rubbed down his back, and pulled him by the tail; and when I observed he was a fine cat, saying, 'Why yes, Sir, but I have had cats whom I liked better than this;' and then as if perceiving Hodge to be out of countenance, adding, 'but he is a very fine cat, a very fine cat indeed.'”

-James Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson 1799

Hodge was a black cat belonging to the English lexicographer Samuel Johnson, of whom the writer was particularly fond. He was known to go out of his way to purchase oysters to feed the cat, even to the point of annoying his servants by his pampering of his pets.

After Hodges death, the poet Percival Stockdale wrote "An Elegy on the Death of Dr Johnson's Favourite Cat":

“Who, by his master when caressed
Warmly his gratitude expressed;
And never failed his thanks to purr
Whene'er he stroked his sable fur.”
hodge.jpeg
The bronze statue to Hodge by sculptor Jon Bickley was installed in 1997 by the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Roger Cook, outside Johnson’s house at Number 17 Gough Square where he lived from 1748 to 1759, now a museum dedicated to the writer's life.

Hodge is shown sitting on top of Johnson’s open dictionary and next to some empty oyster shells. The monument is inscribed with the words "a very fine cat indeed."
I always think of Patrick Moore and his cats when I read about Johnson and Hodge.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 75#p196731

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 am

I remember now! I have actually seen the statue of this cat and the inscription on the statue when I was being guided through London on a London Walk!

Thank you, Stephen63, and thank you, Margarita, for reminding me. I went "awww" and "sniffle" when I read your quotes about Samuel Johnson and his cat Hodge, and when you pointed out the similarities between this very important man and his cat and Sir Patrick Moore and his cat. :kitty:

Sniffle!

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri May 24, 2013 8:38 am

Yes, Dr Johnson was most unusual in his era when animal-loving (or even animal-consideration) generally was not common.

Was there a red scarf on Hodge when you saw the statue, Ann? I think that someone has put it on to keep him warm during winter weather!

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am

I don't remember a red scarf. Like you said, I think someone put the scarf on the statue (catue?) to keep it (him?) warm during winter!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri May 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Ann wrote:I don't remember a red scarf. Like you said, I think someone put the scarf on the statue (catue?) to keep it (him?) warm during winter!

Ann
Catue :?: Why, that seems rather purrfect :!:

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 29, 2013 2:54 pm

OK - this has just come to me:
What connects today's Apod
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
with North Yorkshire and with Ontario?

Margarita

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

I couldnt find a connection, please give me a hint.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Moonlady wrote:I couldnt find a connection, please give me a hint.
Neufer has unwittingly posted a picture that could help, if you look at it very carefully and then Google any description or name that looks, well, possible.

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 56#p200070

Margarita

LATER EDIT: THIS IS A CLUE!
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Oh, i don't know. I think it's very possible that neufer, at least somewhat wittingly, posted that particular picture to see if you'd notice, margarita, and with just the barest clue to make it more interesting.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Beyond wrote:Oh, i don't know. I think it's very possible that neufer, at least somewhat wittingly, posted that particular picture to see if you'd notice, margarita, and with just the barest clue to make it more interesting.
Go to, then, Beyond! Go to! See if you can get there before Moonlady!

Before you ask:
Definition of GO TO
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/go%20to
  1. archaic —used interjectionally as an exhortation <and they said one to another, go to, let us make brick — Genesis 11:3(Authorized Version)>
  2. archaic —used interjectionally to express disapproval or disbelief <go to, go to; you have known what you should not — Shakespeare>
Margarita
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Go to :?: Nah! Moonlady has wheels and a better sense of what to find when she's peddling through all that spacey terminology. So I'll wait and see if she can shed some Moonlight on your sweeping spacey quiz question. Besides, I'm not British and don't speak French.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Beyond wrote:Go to :?: Nah! Moonlady has wheels and a better sense of what to find when she's peddling through all that spacey terminology. So I'll wait and see if she can shed some Moonlight on your sweeping spacey quiz question. Besides, I'm not British and don't speak French.
Neither are necessary...
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I like the word 'indolence'. It makes my laziness seem classy.
~Bernard Williams

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 12:11 am

What an interesting puzzle, Margarita! I didn't get it at all, unfortunately!

But let me think out loud, so you can hear what I'm not getting. You are referring to the Witch Broom Nebula, yes? I immediately thought about Canada and brooms - Canada and brooms - that's it, curling! Canadians are good at curling, the sport where you use brooms. There's even a Team Ontario.

But, uh, York? Is York famous for witches or brooms? I tried the witches, and found the Pendle witches, one of whom was tried in York. Could that be it?

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 12:32 am

That's Yorkshire, Ann. Just plain York = York's peppermint patties.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 2:15 am

Looks good to me! :mrgreen: :chomp:

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 am

YUM!! :yes: :chomp:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 3:24 am

Margarita, Pickled Herring?

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 am

This is proving more of a puzzle than I anticipated!
Especially once I'd given Moonlady the clue to look at the picture of a part of the Witch's Broom Nebula!
So, read this clue again carefully:
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 00#p200086

Look at what names are marked. One will stand out as being rather different to all the others.

Being English and very fond of North Yorkshire, I immediately smiled when I saw it. But, even other non-Yorkshire people might have to enter the word into Google to discover the links with Yorkshire and Ontario.

Honestly - it really isn't very difficult!

Margarita