Intriguing science findings - not spacey

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Intriguing science findings - not spacey

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 am

mjimih wrote:
It seems there is plenty of Ph for life to use now, but if all life was extinguished, it would be next to impossible for a new simple life form emerging to "find" any usable Ph to utilize? It begs the question; The next round of life forms here will be completely different (which is probably no surprise).

I took a little chemistry and was always intrigued by where on the periodic table life "similar" to us, or life "most easily" created, would most likely spring from. I thought Silicon-based life was a good candidate bc it is directly next to carbon, holding some of the same general characteristics perhaps. I'm over simplifying it. Maybe just stare at the table and imagine what other worldly life forms are using compared to Earths'.
  • 1) Carbon dioxide is an important greenhouse gas.
    2) Silicon dioxide is an important greenhouse solid.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Too imagine life based upon anything but hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon seems counterintuitive to me. Excluding helium, these are the most abundant elements in the universe.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Nuclear power, still safer than coal. Interesting information regarding the mortality and cancer risks for those most affected by the Fukushima disaster.
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/japans ... 2nomz.html
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm

geckzilla wrote:Nuclear power, still safer than coal. Interesting information regarding the mortality and cancer risks for those most affected by the Fukushima disaster.
Alas, the media knows they can charge more for ad time when they report disasters than when they report good news. And think of how difficult it would be to report such nuanced news as this in the paltrey few seconds each non-headline story gets these days. But thanks for posting this link here. I've shared the story on FaceBook. It's all I can do.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm

geckzilla wrote:Nuclear power, still safer than coal. Interesting information regarding the mortality and cancer risks for those most affected by the Fukushima disaster.
That's true, but the problem is that when something goes wrong with a nuclear plant, the consequences can be devastating, and can wipe out all the potential economic advantages.

The problem is that current nuclear power plants are engineering nightmares. Nothing is intrinsically safe, and they depend for their safety on multiple redundant systems. That's not really good design. And you can be sure that bad accidents will continue to happen, caused by the combination of that bad engineering with an economic system that will result in an increasing reduction in oversight as safety in assumed (which is what happened in Japan).

There are nuclear plant designs that are intrinsically safe. That means their safety is ensured by physics, not by engineering. They can't melt down because under those conditions the nuclear reaction itself is quenched. No realistic mechanical failure can result in a release of radiation. But short term economics seems to continue to drive things, with the result that reactors still use 50-year-old technology. Minor improvements in controls and monitoring, but otherwise, pretty much the same old thing. Not good.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:35 pm

I am glad that the people of Japan haven't gotten sick, that another 9.0 quake is unlikely?, that Japan feels it's safe to restart 6 of it's reactors... but
I wouldn't relax quite yet. We might be one large earthquake (in Japan) away from a huge Microwave oven experiment. Last year a real disasterous scenario was outlined which hasn't gotten much news coverage. (I wonder why?!) And I can't find a story about any efforts to do what reactor 4 (and 3) will need to be safe IF another big one hits. As outlined in the following;

May 19, 2012
http://www.ctvnews.ca/fukushima-reactor ... k-1.829254
Fukushima Reactor 4 poses massive global risk

This year they are having some issues; the word urge in the UN
statement implies haste. Probably for a reason.

Apr 22, 2013
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-atomic-age ... afety.html
UN atomic agency urges Fukushima safety improvements
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 am

The article did seem pretty biased. Luckily, you guys are here to help balance it out. Further impending doom aside, I'm glad the "walking dead" who knowingly put themselves in harm's way are alright after all.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 am

Fantastic new video of an oarfish, rarely seen alive and well. Usually when they are spotted they dying at the surface or already washed up dead. It hangs vertically in the depths and uses its immense dorsal fin to swim up and down.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

neufer

Intriguing science findings - not spacey

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 am

geckzilla wrote:
Fantastic new video of an oarfish, rarely seen alive and well. Usually when they are spotted they dying at the surface or already washed up dead. It hangs vertically in the depths and uses its immense dorsal fin to swim up and down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchstone_%28As_You_Like_It%29 wrote:
<<Touchstone is a fictional character in Shakespeare's play As You Like It. Touchstone is the court jester of duke Frederick, the usurper's court. Throughout the play he comments on the other characters and thus contributes to a better understanding of the play. Touchstone falls in love with a dull-witted goat girl named Audrey. William, an oafish country boy, makes clumsy attempts to woo her as well, but is driven off by Touchstone, who threatens to kill him "a hundred and fifty ways.">>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 am

Should I start a thread wherein a random subject is posted about and you relate something in that post to Shakespeare and then the next person takes a turn writing about a new random subject for you to relate to Shakespeare? It could assist you in your post count endeavor.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:26 am

I must say the oarfish is kinda cool. 8-) But watching it go up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, is kinda boring, like Shakespeare. So the two of them go together pretty well, (y-a-w-n), me thinks. :yes: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 am

geckzilla wrote:
Should I start a thread wherein a random subject is posted about and you relate something in that post to Shakespeare and then the next person takes a turn writing about a new random subject for you to relate to Shakespeare? It could assist you in your post count endeavor.
I thought that's what you were doing.
Last edited by neufer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Oh...Puck!

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:53 am

Beyond wrote:
I must say the oarfish is kinda cool. 8-) But watching it go up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, is kinda boring, like Shakespeare.
[list]A Midsummer Night's Dream
. Act 3, Scene 2[/list]
PUCK: Up and down, up and down,
[list] I will lead them up and down:
I am fear'd in field and town:
Goblin, lead them up and down.[/list][/color][/i]
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:31 am

neufer wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
I thought that's what you were doing.
geckzilla is suggesting a thread that is solely for the purpose of your Shakespeare play, which seems to me a good idea.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 pm

During Cicada Boom, Birds Mysteriously Vanish

Unsolved mystery of the avian kind.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 am

geckzilla wrote:
During Cicada Boom, Birds Mysteriously Vanish

Unsolved mystery of the avian kind.
  • Cicadas are the Twinkie junk food of the avian world.
http://www.nature.nps.gov/sound/effects.cfm wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<That old expression, "The early bird gets the worm," turns out to be truer than ever in urban settings today. In fact, recent studies are finding that some birds in noisy environments have taken to singing at night in order to be heard over the din of the city (Fuller et al., 2007).

Sound, just like the availability of nesting materials or food sources, plays an important role in the ecosystem. Activities such as finding desirable habitat and mates, avoiding predators, protecting young, and establishing territories are all dependent on the acoustical environment. In order to continue with these activities, animals are being forced to adapt to increasing noise levels. In general, a growing number of studies indicate that wildlife, like humans, is stressed by a noisy environment. When these effects are combined with other stressors such as winter weather, disease, and food shortages, sound impacts can have important implications for the health and vitality of wildlife populations within a park.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:30 am

Maybe. But the birds began disappearing 6 months before the cicadas emerged. Weird, huh?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:34 am

neufer wrote:Cicadas are the Twinkie junk food of the avian world.
Except for owls :owl: They seem to prefer the furry four-footed Twinkies. :yes: :chomp:

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:26 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Maybe. But the birds began disappearing 6 months before the cicadas emerged. Weird, huh?
Perhaps, (with their super hearing) they heard the cicada nymphs constructing their exit tunnels and skedaddled outta there early.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus wrote: <<In Greek mythology, Tithonus or Tithonos (Ancient Greek: Τιθωνός) was the lover of Eos, Titan of the dawn, who was known in Roman mythology as Aurora. Tithonus was a Trojan by birth, the son of King Laomedon of Troy by a water nymph named Strymo (Στρυμώ). The mythology reflected by the fifth-century vase-painters of Athens envisaged Tithonus as a rhapsode, as the lyre in his hand.

Eos kidnapped Ganymede and Tithonus, both from the royal house of Troy, to be her lovers. [But] when Eos asked Zeus to make Tithonus immortal, she forgot to ask for eternal youth (218-38). Tithonus indeed lived forever:

"but when loathsome old age pressed full upon him, and he could not move nor lift his limbs, this seemed to her in her heart the best counsel: she laid him in a room and put to the shining doors. There he babbles endlessly, and no more has strength at all, such as once he had in his supple limbs." - (Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite)

Tithonus eventually turned into a cicada, eternally living, but begging for death to overcome him.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:06 pm

SHEEEEEEEESH :!:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm

perhaps birds just don't like that cicada noise.
Bothers their widdle eardrums

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:37 pm

me neither, the noise they create is obnoxious.
Hey maybe I could round them up and eat them? Mmmmm.
To eat or not to eat, that is the question?
http://shakespearesmonkeys.com/article- ... da-recipie
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:12 am

Nematodes terrify me. I really didn't need to know that there is a giant kind named Placentonema gigantissima that grows 7-9 meters long (every article I read increased the length by 1 meter!) and infects the placenta of sperm whales. Is this the largest animal parasite? It does make sense that a large animal such as a whale could sustain giant parasites.

While searching for a picture of the monster I ended up reading an interesting article about a nematode which infects ants. At the end of the ordeal the ant's abdomen bursts and the nematode goes about the rest of its reproductive cycle.
http://myrmecos.net/2013/01/28/a-belly-full-of-worm/

*shudder*

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 pm

If the Turing test were to have a robot create a painting that fools humans into thinking another human created it, e-David passes with flying colors.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 pm

And he even signs his name writing backwards.