Europe sings

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Moonlady
Selenian

Europe sings

Post by Moonlady » Sat May 18, 2013 6:20 pm

The annual Eurovision Song Contest is held today in Sweden, Malmö.

I didnt watch the semi finals, but I watched a clip with all participants.
Its not a long clip, just a short introduction of each song.

I like Norway and Malta :thumb_up:

Romania, that is awful, sorry Romania :?
Bonnie Tyler is amazing, but not this song.
Greeks are humorous :b: :b: :b:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Europe sings

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Oh dear. What is it about the Eurovision song contest? Boredom sets in and the eyes glaze ... And there are SO MANY MORE entrants now.

Sorry, Moonlady, I did try to watch the whole video - just so that I could see what was so especially awful about the Romanian entry! - but I just can't hack it...
My favourite Eurovision entry ever was Spain's in 2008. It was a spoof - but was so popular that it became the official entry!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baila_el_Chiki-chiki

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 6:46 pm

PS. I wonder if ANN has been at the show?!
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 pm

She isnt online...she could be there, maybe public viewing, we got sunny weather in north europe.

German people and me like to watch the show because of the German audio commentator, he has a very dry sense of humour :D
he is cult.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Moonlady wrote:She isnt online...she could be there, maybe public viewing, we got sunny weather in north europe.

German people and me like to watch the show because of the German audio commentator, he has a very dry sense of humour :D
he is cult.
The German commentator sounds good - and there is staggering awfulness about the Eurovision that makes it addictive (like popcorn or crisps)... I used to watch it when I lived in England just to see if it could possibly be as bad as the previous year's! :lol2:
But I don't have a television now, so don't have the option of watching it here.

Do let me/us know who wins!

Do you have any favourites from past Eurovisions? Either really good or wonderfully bad?
Margarita
PS. You've got better weather up there than we've got in the Canary Islands!

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat May 18, 2013 7:32 pm

The German commentator just said, he promises that the next song will be better :wink: :lol2: which is actually not the case...
Cant you watch it per live stream?! I dont have a tv, I watch it in the internet, and paint a picture while listening.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Moonlady wrote:The German commentator just said, he promises that the next song will be better :wink: :lol2: which is actually not the case...
Cant you watch it per live stream?! I dont have a tv, I watch it in the internet, and paint a picture while listening.
I've not had much success with live streaming. Partly because I tried the BBC and they (meanies) won't permit it outside Britain. But also because my main computer is a Tablet, which is great but limited in function. It can't multitask easily - which really means 'at all', as you can't have two screens running at the same time.

I'm planning on getting an iMac (I mentioned this on the Puzzle thread) and probably will investigate what's available in streaming from Spanish tv.

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 18, 2013 8:08 pm

I watched the second semifinal in Malmö Arena last Thursday! I got one hour of sleep between Thursday and Friday, and was really half dead at work on Friday. But then I went to bed a 6 p.m. on Friday and slept for twelve hours!

What about the songs I heard on Thursday night? Were they any good? Beats med, because I can't remember any of them. But each performer put on a show, and all the shows were fun and enjoyable. I had a good time! :D :D :D

One person who made a big impression on me was the cameraman, the one with the hand-held camera. When I was a kid back in the sixties, I watched the occasional cowboy and Indians movie on TV, and I always got the impression that the Indians, the Native Americans, were incredibly fleet-footed in their soft moccasins. Well, they can't have been more fleet-footed than this amazing cameraman. With the camera strapped onto his body, he moved nimbly and fleetingly on the stage, sometimes just two feet from the singer's face, and produced rock-steady images.

It was fun to be in the arena, too, and feel the energy and enthusiasm from the audience. Like I said, I had a good time! :D

Ann

Oh, and by the way, tonight I've been in Malmö's outdoor amusement park, Folkets Park, to watch the final on a big screen. Well, the park was absolutely crowded, so much so that I could barely move, and after one and a half hours I decided that I'd watch the rest of the final in the comfort of my own home!
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat May 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Some of the favourites I have:

The ladies are really from a village, started to sing to earn money for their poor village.
They are everything what people always miss, they are authentic, they wear folklore clothes,
they sing in their native language and hey they invite the world for party :D

A rock piece I like:
I understand the lyrics because its my mother tongue.

The dont likes would be to long to list :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 18, 2013 8:31 pm

I just listened to the Danish singer. She is good, and it's a nice song. I like the flute. I think Denmark may win.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 pm

And now I just listened to the singer from Iceland. I like him and his song, too. I even remember it from the semifinal! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Oh WOW! The Russian ladies are fantastic! ('Grandmothers of Buranov')
Exactly, Moonlady, authentic wonderful natural joyful. That has really exhilarated me!
Now I shall listen to the Turkish singer - and I'm interested that you say that THAT is your native language?
Margarita

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Where's ABBA when you need them :?: :?: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 8:43 pm

I've just found this website, which it looks as tho I CAN access
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/timeline
But they say the Grand Final hasn't started yet! Huh?
Margarita

Later - Nah! I can't access the Eurovision Song Contest - so I'll have to go back to reading Jim Kaler on the Spectra of Stars!
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Sat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 18, 2013 8:48 pm

A couple of songs ago was Azerbaijan. I love the performance they put on. The singer stands on a glass cage, and inside it, another man, dressed in black clothes - the singer's own dark side? - is crawling around inside it as if he had been poor Gregor Samsa, the man-turned-cockroach in Kafka's novella Metamorphosis (Die Verwandlung).

I found Azerbaijan's song and show mystifying and intriguing.

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat May 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Woodruff (?) abused the song "The winner takes it all" from ABBA :?
Only ABBA may sing ABBA songs :!:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 18, 2013 10:09 pm

If you check out this link, you can see what things looked like in "Folkets park", the amusement park where the Eurovision Song Contest final was shown on a big screen.

I'm in there somewhere. I think.

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat May 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Margarita, England made it to the 19th place from 39 participants.
So not that bad :wink:

Denmark is the winner.

I like the song, they deserve it!

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:30 am

Moonlady
This topìc is very beautiful
Video of high quality

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 am

I like
Austria
Denmark
Russia
San Marino
Spain

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sun May 19, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, that is a lovely song. Thanks for posting the link to the winner, Moonlady! And for telling me that England came in 19th. I'll have to find out what the song was now!

Saturno2 - did you watch the whole show?! Or see them on YouTube? I heard the Spanish entry on Spanish radio and thought that it was quite good, too. But the Danish one is definitely better.

Margarita