It's a bird, it's a plane...

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

It's a bird, it's a plane...

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:54 pm

So I got a call yesterday from somebody who knows I'm the local astronomer. He lives about 20 miles away, and said that there was a bright light in the sky, like a supernova, that he'd been watching for a while and it didn't seem to be moving. This was about 3 in the afternoon. I went outside and looked in the direction he was seeing it- to the south, between the fine crescent Moon and the Sun, and sure enough, I could see it from here, too. Very bright, and appearing slightly extended. So I opened my observatory and had a look with the telescope. And this is what I saw (and shot through the eyepiece with a cheap camera):
IMG_1129p.jpg
It was moving a bit, but very slowly. It stayed between the Moon and the Sun for over an hour. It bears a striking resemblance to a Project Loon balloon launched by Google for studying rural Internet access options. Not that I've heard of any tests around here. But what I saw is consistent with a 15 meter diameter object 50 or 60 km away (and 30 km high).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: It's a bird, it's a plane...

Post by geckzilla » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Haha, wow. A good photo of a UFO-ish object. The notion that it could be aliens was never even possible. The Project Loon balloon is slightly different from the one you photographed. The ribs are more numerous, making the interval between them smaller.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:49 pm

geckzilla wrote:Haha, wow. A good photo of a UFO-ish object. The notion that it could be aliens was never even possible. The Project Loon balloon is slightly different from the one you photographed. The ribs are more numerous, making the interval between them smaller.
Yes, I noticed the different number of ribs. But I didn't find any other images that were even close.

Anyway, that it's not aliens is pretty clear. When I first saw it, I was more excited about the prospect of a daytime supernova than a flying saucer. Alas, the real explanation for most potentially extraordinary things is usually quite ordinary.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah, it's just really funny because if it were a slightly worse picture and you weren't you, then people would instantly jump to aliens.

I did find one photo on the Project Loon G+ page of another balloon encased in a sheath. Even if it's not the same balloon, it's evidence that Google uses more than one model.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q2Y6 ... no/00N.jpg

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:26 pm

The different number of ribs could merely be because the indoor photo was taken from a much closer distance. I say if it looks like a Loon balloon and it floats like a Loon balloon, it's a Loon balloon.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:32 pm

What, you mean that the google geeks with spy-eyes everywhere aren't aliens??? :lol2:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Nitpicker wrote:The different number of ribs could merely be because the indoor photo was taken from a much closer distance. I say if it looks like a Loon balloon and it floats like a Loon balloon, it's a Loon balloon.
I'm incredulous. The floor model and the one in Chris's photo are clearly two different designs. Here is another shot of a Loon balloon not up close. It's not an aerial shot but no camera trick short of a relativistic photo is going to let us see more ribs around the side than we can see normally.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uZeX ... no/009.jpg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:The different number of ribs could merely be because the indoor photo was taken from a much closer distance. I say if it looks like a Loon balloon and it floats like a Loon balloon, it's a Loon balloon.
I'm incredulous. The floor model and the one in Chris's photo are clearly two different designs. Here is another shot of a Loon balloon not up close. It's not an aerial shot but no camera trick short of a relativistic photo is going to let us see more ribs around the side than we can see normally.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uZeX ... no/009.jpg
I'm with Nit on this one. An image of the balloon from inside the same hanger could easily knock two or three segments off each side. The image you posted of a launch appears to show a rib count more in line with my image.

And that image does not show an obviously different design. All high altitude balloons when launched look like long droopy things that are barely inflated, and are only completely pressurized at altitude. Most weather balloons expand to spherical, while the Loon balloons seem to expand to a more oblate sphere.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 am

Fie on you both. :P

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 am

Rather quick to judge today, geck.

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:23 pm

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:43 pm

I hadn't heard of the Loon Project so I looked up their Google+ page

In which I read this post:
Project Loon
8 months ago
Interested in trying your hand at building your own high-altitude balloon? From April 18 - 21, Loon balloons may have some company in the stratosphere: The Global Space Balloon Challenge is an international project to encourage teams from all over the world to build and launch their own high altitude balloons in order to promote the spirit of hardware hacking and international STEM collaboration. Check out the details on their website -- and we hope to see you at 60,000 ft!
Which linked to:

GSBC Launch Photos Gallery #3 :Near Space Ballooning - Colorado, USA

Sherlock Margarita :wink:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:14 am

Good sleuthing, Sherlockarita McHolmes. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks for the link, Margarita, very interesting! But I don't think the Loon balloons really resemble the oblate, ribbed object in Chris's image.

But whatever the strange object is, one thing is certain. It was made by humans. After all, what is most likely, that humans made it, using our centuries-old knowledge of how to send balloons into the atmosphere, or that aliens travelled here across the light-years, either in that flimsy thing or in a substantial ship, after which they released that object into our atmosphere? Only if you desperately want to believe that we are being visited by aliens can you believe in the latter.

Ann
Color Commentator