Mt. Fuji....Erupting???

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Mt. Fuji....Erupting???

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Probably not, but it looks cool...the tall forming cloud over Mt. Fuji...looked to me like an eruption...

But it...."Fell"...into almost a Cloud cap...but not really making it....Thought it was interesting though...

Certain is different...I look at a Mt. Fuji webcam nearly everyday...have not seen it rise up like that...Thunder Cloud???

Opinions, observations welcome.

Attachments
MF-1.jpg
MF-2.jpg

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: Mt. Fuji....Erupting???

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:19 pm

With so many people living relatively nearby an actual eruption of Mt. Fuji would have been huge news Boomer. It must have just been a cloud.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Boomer, those are spectacular sights - especially the one where the cloud is forming a virtually straight TOWER! Not to mention the colours pointing to a sunset - or is it sunrise? I don't remember when I last observed a sunrise since at that time of the day I am in deep-sleep mode ...

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:58 am

Cloudgazer wrote:Boomer, those are spectacular sights - especially the one where the cloud is forming a virtually straight TOWER! Not to mention the colours pointing to a sunset - or is it sunrise? I don't remember when I last observed a sunrise since at that time of the day I am in deep-sleep mode ...
must be sunrise, as the view is slightly south west...

Cloudgazer
Ensign

Post by Cloudgazer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks, Boomer! I was also wondering whether Mt. Fuji isn't likely to act up again one day? Don't know anything about it and might check that out. In theory, I would imagine, it is still considered as potentially active ... they must be monitoring its seismic status until a first warning becomes due, whenever that might be - and with the webcam there to record the event!

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 am

Cloudgazer wrote:Thanks, Boomer! I was also wondering whether Mt. Fuji isn't likely to act up again one day? Don't know anything about it and might check that out. In theory, I would imagine, it is still considered as potentially active ... they must be monitoring its seismic status until a first warning becomes due, whenever that might be - and with the webcam there to record the event!
I've thought about that (I live on a volcano practically, so they are of special interest to me) and came across this article in the Daily Telegraph dated 1st October last year: Could Mount Fuji be the next Japanese volcano to erupt? The answer seems to be ..."Maybe". It is still considered an active volcano and last erupted in 1707.
Oh, here is a background article from National Geographic

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS