universe expansion

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
alun2504
Asternaut

universe expansion

Post by alun2504 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:14 pm

how come that the universe is going away from us in all directions, should not at least one direction be going the same way as us, unless we are really the centre of it all, alun

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: universe expansion

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:26 pm

alun2504 wrote:how come that the universe is going away from us in all directions, should not at least one direction be going the same way as us, unless we are really the centre of it all, alun
It wouldn't be expanding then, would it? It'd be crunching to the left and expanding to the right.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:47 pm

alun2504 wrote:how come that the universe is going away from us in all directions, should not at least one direction be going the same way as us, unless we are really the centre of it all, alun
We are the center of it. Every point is.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Carl Sagan explains an expanding universe
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

alun2504
Asternaut

Post by alun2504 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:38 pm

seems to me that when they cannot find an answer they make up hypothetical mysterious answers, think i ll just let the mystery be, until i go and find out the answer for myself alun

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:45 pm

alun2504 wrote:seems to me that when they cannot find an answer they make up hypothetical mysterious answers, think i ll just let the mystery be, until i go and find out the answer for myself alun
Not knowing everything doesn't mean that we don't know a lot, and know it well. Science is about seeking the answers to mysteries, not letting them be. You're in the wrong forum here.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

wales_forever@live.co.uk

Post by wales_forever@live.co.uk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:03 pm

hi thanks for your reply i m all for gettihg to know all about mysteries, but the so called big bang, was it a one off or are there several like when you drop a pebble in water, and is nt it more plausable that the big bang was just that after black holes have devoured every thing there is that they start to eat each other, and then like a balloon it reaches a finite and explodes spewing all the materiel it has devoured back into what ever space surrounds it, hence the big bang, its a simple explanation for a simple man

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:40 pm

wales_forever@live.co.uk wrote:hi thanks for your reply i m all for gettihg to know all about mysteries, but the so called big bang, was it a one off or are there several like when you drop a pebble in water, and is nt it more plausable that the big bang was just that after black holes have devoured every thing there is that they start to eat each other, and then like a balloon it reaches a finite and explodes spewing all the materiel it has devoured back into what ever space surrounds it, hence the big bang, its a simple explanation for a simple man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixmaster_universe wrote:
<<The Mixmaster Universe is a solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity studied by Charles Misner in an effort to better understand the dynamics of the early universe. He hoped to solve the horizon problem in a natural way by showing that the early universe underwent an oscillatory, chaotic epoch. Misner hoped that the chaos would churn up and smooth out the early universe. Also, during periods in which one direction was static (e.g., going from expansion to contraction) formally the Hubble horizon H−1 in that direction is infinite, which he suggested meant that the horizon problem could be solved. Since the directions of expansion and contraction varied, presumably given enough time the horizon problem would get solved in every direction. While an interesting example of gravitational chaos, it is widely recognized that the cosmological problems the Mixmaster universe attempts to solve are more elegantly tackled by cosmic inflation.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:07 pm

The Big Bang is as far back as theory goes. All the evidence so far points to one thing, which is the Big Bang. Everything else is just speculation. Also, the BB did not expand into anything. Space and time were not thought to exist prior to it. Illustrations showing a point which explodes are somewhat misleading. How does one create an illustration of a place where time does not exist? Very badly, every time.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:32 pm

geckzilla wrote:How does one create an illustration of a place where time does not exist? Very badly, every time.
How does one create an illustration of a place where space does not exist?
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:47 pm

bystander wrote:
geckzilla wrote:How does one create an illustration of a place where time does not exist? Very badly, every time.
How does one create an illustration of a place where existence does not exist?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
bystander wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
How does one create an illustration of a place where time does not exist? Very badly, every time.
How does one create an illustration of a place where existence does not exist?
Art Neuendorffer

alun2504
Asternaut

Post by alun2504 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:34 pm

in the words of the great iris dement, let the mystery be, i still like to sit and think about it all, but i can go back to the 50 s when my generation were only taught to be miners, and the only time we looked at the sky was to see if it was going to stop raining, well i do come from wales, its only in the 70 s that i started to have access to any of the info that is now taken for granted, sometimes i wish i was nearer the beginning of my learning than the end, i tell my grandkids that calculators were not around when i was a boy, chalk n slate,i dont think they take me serious, but now they do schooling on a laptop, more like startrek every day, so wish i could see the next century, this one has been fantastic, but the next one should be even better

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 pm

alun2504 wrote:. . . but the next one should be even better
Well, that's a breath of fresh air. I see a lot of people reminiscing over the last century and wishing it was "like the good old days" again. I couldn't disagree more with that sentiment! As long as we don't annihilate ourselves somehow, things are constantly looking better for humanity. I have to stay positive and hope that we'll avoid the worst case scenario with global warming somehow, but other than that...

alun2504
Asternaut

Post by alun2504 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 pm

i got a feeling that mother earth is going to put us humans back in our place before long, all the damage we are doing to her she already starting to react , maybe soon a yellow stone eruption knock us all opp and start it all again, can t say we dont deserve it

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:02 pm

How's this scenario .. as the universe expands, space between matter contracts .. until we find ourselves shoulder to shoulder with those we love and hate instead of on the internet? A book could come of that .. 'War and Peace' might be a good title .. oh yeah .. already been done. Dang.