Sun Beam & Dust!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Sun Beam & Dust!

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi! The other day; while sitting in the Living room; I noticed a scene I've noticed a thousand times before! Only thing is; I have never reflected on it! The dust particles were floating around in the beam like stars in the galaxy. Probably strange that I should compare the dust particles to the stars. :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Sun Beam & Dust!

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:04 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Probably strange that I should compare the dust particles to the stars. :wink:
I don't know. Most of that dust is the dead skin of the people and animals in your house. And we're all just stardust, right?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:
Probably strange that I should compare the dust particles to the stars. :wink:
I don't know. Most of that dust is the dead skin of the people and animals in your house. And we're all just stardust, right?
http://www.livescience.com/32337-is-house-dust-mostly-dead-skin.html wrote:
Is House Dust Mostly Dead Skin?
By Benjamin Radford, Live Science Contributor | December 11, 2012

<<Sometimes a specific percentage of dust is said to be skin, usually about 70 or 80 percent, but unless you’re a molting bird or reptile (or you work in Dr. Frankenstein’s laboratory), very little of your environment is composed of dead body parts. There are far more common sources of dust pollutants, including animal dander, sand, insect waste, flour (in the kitchen), and of course lots of good, old-fashioned dirt. Every time we open a window or a door, we stir up and move around tiny, airborne particles that eventually settle around the house. Humans do shed dead skin, but most of it is carried away by water when we shave or bathe, ending up not on our floors but in our sewers.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:
Probably strange that I should compare the dust particles to the stars. :wink:
http://www.livescience.com/32337-is-house-dust-mostly-dead-skin.html wrote:
Is House Dust Mostly Dead Skin?
By Benjamin Radford, Live Science Contributor | December 11, 2012

<<Sometimes a specific percentage of dust is said to be skin, usually about 70 or 80 percent, but unless you’re a molting bird or reptile (or you work in Dr. Frankenstein’s laboratory), very little of your environment is composed of dead body parts. There are far more common sources of dust pollutants, including animal dander, sand, insect waste, flour (in the kitchen), and of course lots of good, old-fashioned dirt. Every time we open a window or a door, we stir up and move around tiny, airborne particles that eventually settle around the house. Humans do shed dead skin, but most of it is carried away by water when we shave or bathe, ending up not on our floors but in our sewers.>>
I think this is wrong in many cases. I have an air sampler which I've used for classroom demonstrations, and it always collects more skin flakes than anything else when used inside people's houses or inside classrooms.

There is more silicate dust on surfaces (as when you dust), but the stuff floating in the air seems to be mostly skin.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

It looks like fibers to me.

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 pm

https://www.woot.com/blog/post/the-debunker-is-most-household-dust-really-human-skin wrote:
The Debunker: Is Most Household Dust Really Human Skin?
by Ken Jennings 2 years ago

<<Every hour, you lose over half a million dead skin cells. In fact, eight hundred of the little guys just flaked off while were reading this sentence.

So it seems plausible, right, the common claim that as much as 80 percent of household dust is human skin? There is organic material in dust—all that discarded "you" has to go someplace—but it turns out that there's so much tiny stuff floating around your room (about 10 million particles in every cubic meter of household air!) that skin isn't even a drop in the bucket. In 2009, Paloma Beamer of the University of Arizona catalogued household dust for the journal Environmental Science and Technology, and found that two-thirds of it blows in from outdoors: dirt tracked in on floors, as well as particulate matter from the air. The other third is mostly carpet fiber. Not much skin.

There's a similar scare statistic that gets passed around about mattresses. In 2000, The Wall Street Journal quoted academics and industry experts to the effect that a mattress will double in weight after just ten years of use, as a result of the accumulated carcasses and poop of tiny "dust mites." Let's get the nightmare fodder out of the way: yes, "dust mites" are real. They're microscopic arachnids of subclass Acari that live by chowing down your dead skin. But it's not true that there's a hundred pounds of them living inside your Posturepedic. The researcher cited in the article later complained to Cecil Adams that he had never said any such thing, and that there's no academic basis whatsoever for this factoid. It's time to send this stuff to the dustbin of history.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

exfoliant hoaxes

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 pm

You know what they say; dust to dust! Some day it may be part of a star again! :wink: :lol2:
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
You know what they say; dust to dust! Some day it may be part of a star again! :wink: :lol2:
Or else you'll be a dwarf planetary nebula.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Well, for those who love the specific teal and 656 nm colors, and various mixtures of them, a future evolution into planetary nebulas may make us singularly beautiful again.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 am

neufer wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:
Or else you'll be a dwarf planetary nebula.
What else would you expect from a Plutopian?
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:14 am

Ann wrote:Well, for those who love the specific teal and 656 nm colors, and various mixtures of them, a future evolution into planetary nebulas may make us singularly beautiful again.

Ann
Aw Ann; everything is beautiful in its own way!
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: It looks like fibers to me.

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 am

neufer wrote:
https://www.woot.com/blog/post/the-debunker-is-most-household-dust-really-human-skin wrote:
The Debunker: Is Most Household Dust Really Human Skin?
by Ken Jennings 2 years ago

<<Every hour, you lose over half a million dead skin cells. In fact, eight hundred of the little guys just flaked off while were reading this sentence.

So it seems plausible, right, the common claim that as much as 80 percent of household dust is human skin? There is organic material in dust—all that discarded "you" has to go someplace—but it turns out that there's so much tiny stuff floating around your room (about 10 million particles in every cubic meter of household air!) that skin isn't even a drop in the bucket. In 2009, Paloma Beamer of the University of Arizona catalogued household dust for the journal Environmental Science and Technology, and found that two-thirds of it blows in from outdoors: dirt tracked in on floors, as well as particulate matter from the air. The other third is mostly carpet fiber. Not much skin.
My personal, experimental evidence is contrary to this conclusion. Skin was the dominant component of dust collected from the air between floor and ceiling. Of course, it likely depends very much on the location and other conditions.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory