Best Android apps for stargazing?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
zeecatman
Asternaut

Best Android apps for stargazing?

Post by zeecatman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:10 am

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the Android users use for casual stargazing, like identifying or finding objects in the sky in a pinch. I've shopped around for free options, and so far the most complete one I've found is StarTracker. StarTracker shows the locations of manmade satellites and meteor showers as well, which I like, but it, as well as every other free app I've used, isn't detailed enough to have information on other solar system objects -- for example, I haven't been able to pinpoint the comet Wirtanen with any of them. What apps do you use?

Rodney
Asternaut

Re: Best Android apps for stargazing?

Post by Rodney » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:41 am

zeecatman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:10 am
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the Android users use for casual stargazing, like identifying or finding objects in the sky in a pinch. I've shopped around for free options, and so far the most complete one I've found is StarTracker. StarTracker shows the locations of manmade satellites and meteor showers as well, which I like, but it, as well as every other free app I've used, isn't detailed enough to have information on other solar system objects -- for example, I haven't been able to pinpoint the comet Wirtanen with any of them. What apps do you use?
Star Walk 2 Free - Identify Stars in the Night Sky is a great astronomy guide to explore the night sky day and night, identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, asteroids, comets, ISS, Hubble Space Telescope and other celestial bodies in real time in the sky above you.

brawlserver
Asternaut

Re: Best Android apps for stargazing?

Post by brawlserver » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 pm

zeecatman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:10 am
Hi all,

NASA Visualization Explorer. If you geek out over the discoveries that the scientists involved in space exploration make every week, be sure to follow NASA's vertical-scroll newsfeed, where you'll be treated to a few paragraphs and five or six images per story, several times a month.