Forwarding a Page offsets the date of an APOD. Why?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Steve - Veteran
Asternaut

Forwarding a Page offsets the date of an APOD

Post by Steve - Veteran » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Please somebody explain the forwarding date being off by one day. To share a picture of the day, why is the date one digit off? Is it a time zone thing? Example: I must change up the last digit of the date to get the post I want to forward from any archived day. Please advise.

Steve - Veteran
Asternaut

Post by Steve - Veteran » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm

When I am Forwarding a single APOD to a friend using messages on my phone, the date is off one day. Unfortunately I am suddenly sending the day before. I then add one digit (example 21 to 22) to set the date I originally tried to send. Why is this happening? Please. Is it something to do with time zones worldwide?

Steve - Veteran
Asternaut

Post by Steve - Veteran » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Please advise. Thank you.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD Photographers

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Steve - Veteran wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:06 pm Please somebody explain the forwarding date being off by one day. To share a picture of the day, why is the date one digit off? Is it a time zone thing? Example: I must change up the last digit of the date to get the post I want to forward from any archived day. Please advise.
I don't see any mismatch between the filename of past APODs and the date on which they appeared.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Steve - Veteran
Asternaut

Post by Steve - Veteran » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks for responding. Please, Let me explain. I have have the APOD app which posts everyday. When I like a post, I try sending it via the Google messenger app offer on the APOD daily post. However, the previous day's picture is always sent. Example: If I like today's pic, it always sends yesterday's pic. Please, Try it yourself. The link I am sending a friend is off by it's last digit. I can change it with a little effort by deleting the last digit which represents the day desired to the following day. Check it out, please.

Steve - Veteran
Asternaut

Post by Steve - Veteran » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:08 pm

I think I figured it out. I feel kinda dumb. Inside the APOD app settings was a time setting which was off by three hours. It may have caused the problem.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Forwarding a Page offsets the date of an APOD. Why?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Steve - Veteran wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm When I am Forwarding a single APOD to a friend using messages on my phone, the date is off one day. Unfortunately I am suddenly sending the day before. I then add one digit (example 21 to 22) to set the date I originally tried to send. Why is this happening? Please. Is it something to do with time zones worldwide?
That sounds like a problem arising from your phone's OS or perhaps the messages app you use. I doubt if it has anything to do with the APOD itself.

Rob

Steve - Veteran
Asternaut

Re: Forwarding a Page offsets the date of an APOD. Why?

Post by Steve - Veteran » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you. I am trying to eliminate the possibilities. Take care. Thanks again.