James Webb

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BaldEagle
Ensign

James Webb

Post by BaldEagle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Aside from looking deeper into space, what new revelations should we expect to see with the James Webb?
Will the Webb take us further toward the big bang and fine-tuning of the age of the Universe? If so, how far into the beginning of spacetime?
What will the various filtering show us? Will we be able to see into the center of galaxies?
Will the Webb allow us to see deeper into our own Milky Way galaxy?
How much improved detail can we expect viewing galaxies? Individual stars? And/or planets?

I'm hoping replies will be in narrative form rather than bullet points of Webb's mission. Thank you.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: James Webb

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 am

JWST's resolution will actually be only a bit better than HST's, despite the larger mirror. Longer wavelengths, lower resolution...

I was going to give you this link, but it doesn't seem to be working (which is irritatingly common lately)
http://stsci.edu/jwst/observing-program ... o-programs

Yes that looks like a bullet list, but what I'm trying to get at are the abstracts for all the approved programs so far. Those are a lot more verbal and explain in more detail what is being looked for and why. Ugh, sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe it'll be working by the time you click it.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

A lot more "Verbal"

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
geckzilla wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 am
Yes that looks like a bullet list, but what I'm trying to get at are the abstracts for all the approved programs so far. Those are a lot more verbal and explain in more detail what is being looked for and why. Ugh, sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe it'll be working by the time you click it.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:27 pm

The primary focus of the JWST is in the near- and mid-infrared, as opposed to the visible wavelengths of the Hubble.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm

bystander wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:27 pm
The primary focus of the JWST is in the near- and mid-infrared, as opposed to the visible wavelengths of the Hubble.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope wrote:
<<Unlike the Hubble, which observes in the near ultraviolet, visible, and near infrared (0.1 to 1 μm) spectra, the JWST will observe in a lower frequency range, from long-wavelength visible light through mid-infrared (0.6 to 27 μm), which will allow it to observe high redshift objects that are too old and too distant for the Hubble to observe.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 pm

I love the coming of the James Webb; Hopefully I'll still be around to Enjoy some of the fruits of it's explorations! Maybe it will be able to see some exoplanets!
I do wish however some of the posts that go here, would instead go into the Cafe!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BaldEagle
Ensign

Post by BaldEagle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:32 am

Sorry about not using the "cafe" Orin.

I'm a newbe and didn't know it existed. Now I do and will browse and post questions like this one there.

I will copy and paste my original question in the Cafe. That may be "doubling up" but will serve the purpose.

Hope you approve.

Tom

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:18 am

BaldEagle wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:32 am Sorry about not using the "cafe" Orin.

I'm a newbe and didn't know it existed. Now I do and will browse and post questions like this one there.

I will copy and paste my original question in the Cafe. That may be "doubling up" but will serve the purpose.

Hope you approve.

Tom
Aww! It happens to all of us! You'll notice I did so too! I just try to keep an order of sorts! 8-) BTW I hope you stick with the asterisk and don't let anyone scare you away! :wink: I'm just one of the asterisk junkies out here!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!