Hobbies

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Hobbies

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:40 pm

Has there previously been a thread here on members' hobbies? If so I haven't found it, so this post can start one or perhaps be appended to an earlier one if it exists.

I have two. Astronomy of course, or I wouldn't be a member of Starship Asterisk*. But astronomy is such a vast field that a persons individual interests can further branch into the many various topics the science covers. My principal interests in astronomy are exoplanets and their formation and the formation and dispersal of all the chemical elements. As far as observational astronomy is concerned I'm a lightweight, using just eyes and occasionally binoculars or a small spotting scope these days.

My second hobby is birding. Not birdwatching, as many a fellow birder will understand. Birding is learning to identify a bird by species by sight and/or sound. A or the major goal of many a birder is the expansion of one's lifelist, a list of all the different species one has been able to identify during one's lifetime. I'm a lister. My wife maintains a list too, but she is more of a watcher, which is fine.

So y'alls turn(s). What are your hobbies, both astronomical and otherwise?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Hobbies

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am

I thought; dang, I don't have any! Then I thought; oh, I spend about half a day on the computer; sports, games, DVDs, APOD! Then I have my garden, and we walk the dog! Oh the dog is a hobby in her own right; she is kind of a lazy thing, so I like to mess with her a little! I taught her how to wink, play peek-a-boo, and she follows me around until I see her and then she likes to hide! :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:18 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am
I thought; dang, I don't have any! Then I thought; oh, I spend about half a day on the computer; sports, games, DVDs, APOD! Then I have my garden, and we walk the dog! Oh the dog is a hobby in her own right; she is kind of a lazy thing, so I like to mess with her a little! I taught her how to wink, play peek-a-boo, and she follows me around until I see her and then she likes to hide! :lol2:
Indeed Orin, everyone who enjoys APOD's daily at least has astronomy as a minor hobby.

I like to combine hobbies, like having optics that are useful for both astronomy and birding.

We also have a dog who I walk each night. Last night's sky was very nice.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:26 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:18 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am
Indeed Orin, everyone who enjoys APOD's daily at least has astronomy as a minor hobby.

I like to combine hobbies, like having optics that are useful for both astronomy and birding.

We also have a dog who I walk each night. Last night's sky was very nice.

Nice; The early morning sky is also very beautiful! With The Pleiades in the East and The Orion Constellation toward the SE; just beautiful! I believe it was the Pleiades anyway, as it appears in about the same place each morning! Correct me if I am wrong! Anyway; very pretty!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Dilettante: woodworking, auto repair, electronics repair, gardening, astronomy, model railroading, collecting old woodworking tools, computers...