Question? (Please Answer)

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Joseph Buell
Science Officer

Question? (Please Answer)

Post by Joseph Buell » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

My science teacher told me about a new state of matter found in space, but he doesn't remember the name of it. Does anyone? Please tell me.

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Question? (Please Answer)

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Joseph Buell wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm My science teacher told me about a new state of matter found in space, but he doesn't remember the name of it. Does anyone? Please tell me.
Could this be what you are asking about?
SciTechDaily wrote:

New State of Matter Discovered by Scientists: Liquid Glass

While glass is a truly ubiquitous material that we use on a daily basis, it also represents a major scientific conundrum. Contrary to what one might expect, the true nature of glass remains something of a mystery, with scientific inquiry into its chemical and physical properties still ongoing. In chemistry and physics, the term glass itself is a mutable concept: It includes the substance we know as window glass, but it may also refer to a range of other materials with properties that can be explained by reference to glass-like behavior, including, for instance, metals, plastics, proteins, and even biological cells.

While it may give the impression, glass is anything but conventionally solid. Typically, when a material transitions from a liquid to a solid state the molecules line up to form a crystal pattern. In glass, this does not happen. Instead, the molecules are effectively frozen in place before crystallization happens. This strange and disordered state is characteristic of glasses across different systems and scientists are still trying to understand how exactly this metastable state forms.

Research led by professors Andreas Zumbusch (Department of Chemistry) and Matthias Fuchs (Department of Physics), both based at the University of Konstanz, has just added another layer of complexity to the glass conundrum. Using a model system involving suspensions of tailor-made ellipsoidal colloids, the researchers uncovered a new state of matter, liquid glass, where individual particles are able to move yet unable to rotate – complex behavior that has not previously been observed in bulk glasses. The results are published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS)...
Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:27 pm

That one's not new. Ann's news story is the only recent one I'm aware of about a new state of matter, but it doesn't involve anything in space.

There are currently a LOT of different states of matter that have been identified. We're long past solid, liquid, gas, plasma.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:17 am

A Youtuber, Anton Petrov, posts a new video on science and space every day. I don't fully trust everything he says, but I watch his videos regularly, anyway.

He recently posted a video about new and previously undiscovered different states of water. According to this video, water (H2O) is found in other states in space than on the Earth.

Ann
Color Commentator

Joseph Buell
Science Officer

Post by Joseph Buell » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Yes, bystander. Thank you. My teacher told me yesterday, that was what he meant.
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Open the fridge door, CAL.

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:33 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Atom_Laboratory wrote: <<The Cold Atom Laboratory (CAL) is an experimental instrument on board the ISS, which launched in 2018. The instrument creates extremely cold conditions in the microgravity environment of the ISS, leading to the formation of Bose Einstein Condensates that are a magnitude colder than those that are created in laboratories on Earth. Compared to more commonly encountered states of matter, Bose–Einstein condensates are extremely fragile. The slightest interaction with the external environment can be enough to warm them past the condensation threshold, eliminating their interesting properties and forming a normal gas. In a space-based laboratory, up to 10 seconds interaction times and as low as 1 picokelvin temperatures are achievable, and it could lead to exploration of unknown quantum mechanical phenomena and test some of the most fundamental laws of physics. These experiments are best done in a freely falling environment, because it is more conducive to uninhibited formation of Bose Einstein Condensates. Ground based experiments suffer from the effect of the Condensate interacting asymmetrically with the apparatus, interfering with the time evolution of the Condensate. In orbit, experiments can last much longer because freefall is sustained indefinitely. NASA's JPL scientists state that the CAL investigation could advance knowledge in the development of extremely sensitive quantum detectors, which could be used for monitoring the gravity of Earth and other planetary bodies, or for building advanced navigation devices.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(temperature) wrote:

Code: Select all

1 aK 	Macroscopic teleportation of matter can occur
.  Hawking temperature of Supermassive black holes

1 fK 	Atomic waves coherent over centimeters
.  atomic particles decoherent over centimeters
1 pK,  The Cold Atom Laboratory (CAL)
50 pK, lowest temperature ever produced,
.  achieved with a rubidium gas.

100 pK, the current record for lowest temperature,
.  achieved by cooling the nuclear spins of rhodium metal.

450 pK, lowest temperature sodium Bose–Einstein condensate gas
.  ever achieved in the laboratory, at MIT

1 nK 	50 nK, Fermi temperature of potassium-40
.  critical temperature of alkali Bose–Einstein condensates

1 μK 	Nuclear demagnetization Doppler-cooled refrigerants
.  in laser cooling and magneto-optical traps

1.7 mK, temperature record for helium-3/helium-4 dilution   .  refrigeration, and the lowest temperature which may be
.  sustained for arbitrarily long time with known techniques.

2.5 mK, Fermi melting point of helium-3

60 mK adiabatic demagnetization of paramagnetic molecules

300 mK in evaporative cooling of helium-3

700 mK, helium-3/helium-4 mixtures begin phase separation

950 mK, melting point of helium -
.  All 118 elements are solid at or below this temperature.
Art Neuendorffer