Introduction

Free video lectures for anyone with curiosity and a web browser.
adrianxw
Ensign

Re: Introduction

Post by adrianxw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Okay. The other Nemiroff collection I watched seemed to be in order on the list. [fx]shrugs[/fx]
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

achilles38
Asternaut

Post by achilles38 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:48 pm

I can't get any of the videos to play, unless I open the mp4 in another browser. It takes about 5 minutes for the video to load and start playing in the other browser. Is there a way to download the videos to podcast on my phone so I can watch while traveling?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 pm

achilles38 wrote:I can't get any of the videos to play, unless I open the mp4 in another browser. It takes about 5 minutes for the video to load and start playing in the other browser. Is there a way to download the videos to podcast on my phone so I can watch while traveling?
Do you have the latest version of Flash installed properly? The embedded viewer (which is required if you want to stream the video, rather than simply downloading it) is Flash-based.

Most of the videos are downloadable as MP4s, which should allow you to transfer them to your phone for later viewing.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

che25
Asternaut

Post by che25 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Thank you RJN:

As an amateur astronomer who is active in his local astronomy club, this online course is just what I needed. I really regret not studying astronomy when I was a college student many years ago. I would really welcome the opportunity to take your quizzes and exams just to see if I'm understanding the material being offered. However, If you can't do that because you may need the questions for current courses you are teaching, I understand. Also, the idea of using the Wikipedia entries in lieu of a text book is a stunning concept in education. By relying on the open editing framework of Wikipedia, the information will always be up to date and vetted by experts in the field which should filter out erroneous information. In some ways, I find this a revolutionary and economic approach, no such thing existed when I was a poor college trying to buy textbooks which may be out of date when you need them. Again, thanks for the course....I'm looking forward to completing it.

Clear Skies.

mstart
Asternaut
AKA: Nicky

Post by mstart » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Just starting out. Thanks for the posts...

Mairaguent
Asternaut

Post by Mairaguent » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:34 am

I must confess here that this forum is loaded with information and though this is my first time, i am going to be referring a lot of my colleagues here, it's a place where you can get a lot of help with the subject of astronomy, our passion!!!

traduceresim
Asternaut

Post by traduceresim » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 am

Hello there! I'm a newbie to this site and i find these posts really interesting and full of new information.Keep up the good work guys!

WarmvetAstronomy

Post by WarmvetAstronomy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:19 am

I have seen the question posed but no answer.

Is there a list of quiz questions somewhere to help me assess what I have learned?

Many thanks for this detailed course.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am

The quizzes are not available.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Michael5678

Post by Michael5678 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:19 pm

''I used no textbook for this class but instead relied on strong Wikipedia articles. This made the class especially Internet friendly and particularly conducive to this type of online forum.''

Shouldn't the word 'conducive' be replaced with one that fits better, like 'receptive' or 'amenable'?

The word 'conducive' suggests that the state of some entity is in a condition of flux, and also that the change in that particular state is trending toward some known other state, (i.e.) ''The gathering clouds are conducive to a storm.''

tadekkoks
Asternaut

Post by tadekkoks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi everyone, I am here for the first time - I registered today, because I found your forum by chance in the Internet (Google) and I am very interested in this subject, it is a wonderful forum!
This is what I love! :)

konradpow
Asternaut

Post by konradpow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:44 pm

I wanted to say hello and to present to everyone, for users of this forum - my name is Konrad, I am 48 years old and I am interested in astronomy for ages, it is my great passion and love. I live in Poland (therefore I apologise for my English) - but I didn't find the similar forum in Polish, however I hit the case to your forum, it looks interesting for me very much, there is a lot of knowledge here and of curiosities - I think that now I will spend a night reading topics here ;-)

brucesdad13
Ensign

Post by brucesdad13 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for offering this free material! I can't wait to dive in and learn. :-))
RJN wrote:Posted in this forum are the lectures of a free introductory astronomy course as taught by me, APOD co-editor and university professor Robert Nemiroff, at Michigan Technological University in the fall of 2008. Each lecture of the class is included here, one lecture per thread. Each lecture thread should contain at least one video lecture and one Powerpoint file containing the slides that I used. I was proud that I used no textbook for this class but instead relied on strong Wikipedia articles. This made the class especially Internet friendly and particularly conducive to this type of online forum. Many students saw these exact lectures in Fall 2008, took online quizzes not available here, and received college credit at Michigan Tech.

General astronomy questions, no matter how basic, can be asked in the greater Asterisk forums. Please do not send email to the address shown in the video. Unfortunately, I expect to move on to other projects and would like this project to run autonomously. I therefore ask that if someone knows the answer to an asked question, please go right ahead and answer that question. Please do not wait for me to answer. On occasion, however, I do peruse The Asterisk's forums.

Next, I expect that I have made several mistakes. I cannot correct the video, but please do point these out in The Asterisk forums so that future online students get the best information possible. Past that, the general rules for posting on The Asterisk bulletin board still apply as much as reasonably possible. These rules can be summed up as "be polite."

Over the first few months of 2010, this thread and this very post may be edited without notice for clarity and technology upgrades. If you yourself have suggestions as to how to make this free online course better or more accessible, please post that on the general discussion (Open Space) forum of The Asterisk.

- Robert Nemiroff (RJN)

Introductory Astronomy - YouTube Playlist

Manu Kaviya
Asternaut

Post by Manu Kaviya » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:23 pm

I am very happy to get this opportunity!
I can't wait to learn about universe.

isabellamor
Asternaut

Post by isabellamor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 am

Newbie here, I can't wait to learn more about astronomy.

hamptonlindsay
Asternaut

Post by hamptonlindsay » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Hello guys! I'm glad to join your community

Jackson junior
Asternaut

Post by Jackson junior » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:18 pm

The skies are blue ,