Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
mrbeanreads
Asternaut

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by mrbeanreads » Wed May 14, 2014 11:29 pm

OK, but I get the impression that many people are able to get the APOD videos when there is one. Is there a link with a program that would support APOD videos?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 pm

Have you tried asking the many people who have given you this impression? Most of us here use the website itself rather than any third-party app so I'm not sure how much help you'll find here.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 15, 2014 1:58 am

mrbeanreads wrote:OK, but I get the impression that many people are able to get the APOD videos when there is one. Is there a link with a program that would support APOD videos?
What does it even mean to get an APOD video on your desktop?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

mrbeanreads
Asternaut

Post by mrbeanreads » Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 pm

OK. When there was a link on the APOD website itself for the app/program/whatever to load the new image/whatever each day from the APOD website, I got the impression that at least some people got the videos. (And yes, occasionally there are APOD videos for the daily "wallpaper".) At the time, I was told that the "problem" was not with the APOD wallpaper app, but with the computer system that I had at the time. Now I don't find any link on the APOD website itself to load the app, and I'm told that said app is only available via third-party websites. The Google site does have the APOD app for a free download, but this is where I went to get my current version of the APOD app, which will not update when the APOD "image" is a video of some sort, because it is not supported. I thought the point of downloading the APOD wallpaper/whatever app is so you wouldn't have to visit the APOD website to get the new photo/video.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 16, 2014 10:53 pm

mrbeanreads wrote:OK. When there was a link on the APOD website itself for the app/program/whatever to load the new image/whatever each day from the APOD website, I got the impression that at least some people got the videos. (And yes, occasionally there are APOD videos for the daily "wallpaper".) At the time, I was told that the "problem" was not with the APOD wallpaper app, but with the computer system that I had at the time. Now I don't find any link on the APOD website itself to load the app, and I'm told that said app is only available via third-party websites. The Google site does have the APOD app for a free download, but this is where I went to get my current version of the APOD app, which will not update when the APOD "image" is a video of some sort, because it is not supported. I thought the point of downloading the APOD wallpaper/whatever app is so you wouldn't have to visit the APOD website to get the new photo/video.
And my point is that there's no such thing as a video wallpaper. What would you have a wallpaper loading app do when APOD offers something other than a static image? At least one such app used the first linked image it came across in the caption, but that generated complaints about APOD wallpapers of cats doing funny things or the like.

Again, these things have nothing to do with the APOD site or its editors, and never have. If you find an APOD wallpaper generator, and it doesn't work as you'd like, you need to take that up with the app's author. There's nothing anybody here can do.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mrbeanreads
Asternaut

Post by mrbeanreads » Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 pm

I get the point that there is no such thing as a video wallpaper. However, I do see that the APOD daily feed does have videos, so it would legit to ask if there isn't a downloadable app that would support said videos. I'm not suggesting that APOD is responsible for this, but I figured that this would be a good place to find out where to download the app.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 17, 2014 10:30 pm

mrbeanreads wrote:I get the point that there is no such thing as a video wallpaper. However, I do see that the APOD daily feed does have videos, so it would legit to ask if there isn't a downloadable app that would support said videos. I'm not suggesting that APOD is responsible for this, but I figured that this would be a good place to find out where to download the app.
There is just such an app. Your browser. What purpose would be served by another?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mrbeanreads
Asternaut

Post by mrbeanreads » Sun May 18, 2014 2:11 pm

You're missing the point: the browser would not have a specific app in it. As I said, I figured since APOD itself doesn't have a link for the "daily feed", this would be a good place to find one. It is "Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 18, 2014 2:38 pm

mrbeanreads wrote:You're missing the point: the browser would not have a specific app in it. As I said, I figured since APOD itself doesn't have a link for the "daily feed", this would be a good place to find one. It is "Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!"
No, you're missing the point. Your browser IS the app used to view APOD videos. The APOD URL is the daily feed.

Again, what is it you imagine the APOD app doing? It's a window that opens up on your desktop and displays a video. How is that different from your browser?

I understand the purpose of an app that installs each day's static APOD image as a wallpaper. I don't understand the purpose of an app that somehow loads and displays a video, however.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun May 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:... And my point is that there's no such thing as a video wallpaper.
www.video-wallpaper.net/

I suppose you're right so often that you just get into the habit of thinking you're always right. But that's one habit that is always a bad habit.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 18, 2014 5:19 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:... And my point is that there's no such thing as a video wallpaper.
www.video-wallpaper.net/

I suppose you're right so often that you just get into the habit of thinking you're always right. But that's one habit that is always a bad habit.

Rob
Yes, I have seen third party apps that can produce video or other live wallpaper. But they don't work within the existing wallpaper APIs of Windows, so it's extremely unlikely that any APOD wallpaper generator would work with them.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 pm

For a time today the Starship Asterisk* was under a hack attack. I discovered this at about 2pm today when attempting to navagate away from today's APOD. I was using an iPhone and had clicked on board index when a picture of this joker (literally a guy dressed and face painted up like Batman's Joker) popped up. He was holding a flash drive and there was a message that the site had been hacked. This picture was up for no more than a second.

For a few hours I wasn't able to assess this site from my iPhone, but now everything seems like it's back to normal.

Daniel
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 am

Yup, this is not happening again...

piton
Asternaut

Post by piton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:13 am

Dear maintaners!

The link http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ gives me yesterdays' APOD since a few days. It's 10:00 GMT+0100 here, maybe the server serves it's own timezone?
Clicking the forward arrow brings up the most recent APOD, so the content exists.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:20 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1407/m106_lg2048jpg

Don’t know if this is the right place, but anyway...
July 5, 2014 picture does not allow the large size jpg to show on account of an incorrect link not displaying the DOT (.)before jpg
Small error but many may be disappointed.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1407/m106_lg2048.jpg

kind regards,
Tiziano Gallucci
jw@tiziano.co.za

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks, Tiziano. I thought they were emailed already but just in case they haven't been, I emailed the editors about it.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:15 am

FYI, APOD's server had an update recently to its operating system (UNIX). For whatever reason, that has created a bit of an issue with caching. Yesterday's APODs sometimes stay on astropix.html well into the current day. Changes made (such as putting back the missing dot) are also affected in the same way.

another guest

Post by another guest » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:08 am

geckzilla wrote:FYI, APOD's server had an update recently to its operating system (UNIX). For whatever reason, that has created a bit of an issue with caching. Yesterday's APODs sometimes stay on astropix.html well into the current day. Changes made (such as putting back the missing dot) are also affected in the same way.
Will this update be updated - that is, fixed - to display the correct APOD?
Inquiring minds want to know.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Probably, if they get emailed so much about broken APODs that it annoys them. ;) If I find out, I'll post it here.

slater
Asternaut

Post by slater » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:28 am

Has the server's timezone changed? Used to be such that the new post was uploaded at 9PM PST (midnight EST), but now it seems to be 10PM PST (1AM EST). Maybe the person that does the uploading moved? :)

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:30 am

The new post still happens at the same time but astropix.html is not updated. Click the "next" (>) button to see it. Also, see above few posts regarding the OS update which caused this caching issue.

slater
Asternaut

Post by slater » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 am

Gotcha, thanks!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Where New Horizons is

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:33 am

Unfortunately, my windows 8.1 still doesn't speak Plutonian well enough to be able open the pdf.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Where New Horizons is

Post by rstevenson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Beyond wrote:
Unfortunately, my windows 8.1 still doesn't speak Plutonian well enough to be able open the pdf.
Web browsers can handle PDFs in one of two ways. They can display it in the browser, almost like a web page, or they can download it to a place on your hard drive, from where you will have to double-click it to open it in a bit of software which reads PDF-format files. Which of these your browser will do is set in its preferences. If you don't see a PDF appear in your browser, and you don't get an error message, then you can assume the PDF was downloaded to your drive. Find it there, and read it. If you want to instead read PDFs in your browser, ask someone to help you set the preferences correctly.

Rob

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Where New Horizons is

Post by bystander » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Beyond wrote: Unfortunately, my windows 8.1 still doesn't speak Plutonian well enough to be able open the pdf.
You need Adobe Reader
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor