Introductions: How did you become interested in astronomy?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Re: Introductions: How did you become interested in astronomy?

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 pm

I have always had an interest but was relatively poor growing up and couldn't really afford a telescope but I do remember my dad at least trying to show me the constellations. I never felt like I could dedicate the time and effort necessary to make a good effort towards learning about astronomy. Now that my youngest child is 12 and I am pretty established at my job, my wife got me a neat little scope and I have tried to read and keep up with it to some degree on a daily basis.

sincozh
Asternaut

Post by sincozh » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Trough photography. The night was always magic for me. A few years ago I joined a nightscape photography workshop. Since then I only shoot night photography. Its the best moment to disconect the daily routine from the job.

PaulMcP
Asternaut

Post by PaulMcP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Paul from northern Scotland and have always been fascinated with astronomy since I saw my first northern lights as a kid. Right now I live in Moscow and can't really look at the sky (which is always overcast, and polluted with light when the weather's good) but when I go to the dacha (a small cottage in the countryside that most Russians have and where they like to go during the summer) with my kids, we love to watch the sky together.

I've decided to join this forum in order to learn more about astronomy, since I know how to look at the sky through a telescope but not much more.

HenryStein
Asternaut

Introduction

Post by HenryStein » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi, everyone! Not sure if anyone had done this already, so I just made this thread for new guys like me to create an intro. Anyway, newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online astronomy community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers!

Tragic Astronomy
Ensign

Post by Tragic Astronomy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi,

My name is Paul and I've been visiting APOD as my first official act of the day since 2010. I save all of the images on my hard drive and they power my screensaver. Today's count is 3,200 images.

I'm an autodidact anorak so, I have many interests that range from human consciousness to the cosmic microwave background and that's a breathy body of work.

For some time I've been using the APOD images as metaphor for lyrics. Curiously, it only appears to work for Gord Downie lyrics. If you're not familiar, he was the lead singer/songwriter for The Tragically Hip. He past away October 17, 2017 from glioblastoma.

In 2015 I started making some slideshow videos with APOD images and Tragically Hip songs. I made seven videos and I thought I was done. It doesn't work for every song. A year after I made the seventh, the First Nations honoured Gord Downie with his native name; The Man Who Walks Among The Stars. And then I found one more song to make into a video. Here is my playlist called Weatherman.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YnAB3k36QE[/youtube]

There is a point to all of this. What is the connection between consciousness, metaphor and the universe? I've heard Steven Pinker say that a metaphor is the smallest unit of thought. And what is a metaphor? It's an anology, a comparison, a juxtaposition, (my favourite word); this is to that as that is to this. Look familiar?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where the ratio of each adjacent number is approaching phi; the golden ratio. The golden ratio can be expressed as a + b / a = a / b OR, a + b is to a as a is to b.

So, there is the math that is expressed ubiquitously throughout the universe and all living organism. It's in the largest structures such as spiral galaxies and down to flowering plants and human bodies and the molecules of DNA.

We can't see human consciousness but, why would this pattern not repeat into that domain of the mechanisms of consciousness. The metaphor as expressed by this is to that as that is to this is a very close approximation to the golden ratio. We call it a stream of consciousness but I believe we only perceive it as a stream because it's all we can perceive at a time. Standing underneath a hurricane one can't see the spirals because it is just to large. We call it a stream because we can only perceive a single arm of the spiral at once.

In the Spring of 2018 I started applying a song lyric to APOD images as a tribute to Gord Downie. I working on a book and I have over 300 as of today. I would like to post these lyrics to this message board purely for the amusement of all. I hope that this will be a welcome addition to the forum.