Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by geckzilla » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 pm

I know it's thousands of links, but come on, it's really just links. It should be able to handle it no prob.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:19 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 pm I know it's thousands of links, but come on, it's really just links. It should be able to handle it no prob.
Maybe. My point is simply that they may view it as a badly designed page of a type so rare that it doesn't justify finding a "fix" (especially if it requires a substantive change in code).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:28 pm

I think it says something important about the software, and shows a lack of imagination if they conclude it's too rare to care.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:28 pm I think it says something important about the software, and shows a lack of imagination if they conclude it's too rare to care.
Well, it blows up Firefox, too. Open that page and it looks reasonable, but it sucks up a huge amount of system resources. So it will break a lot of systems even so.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

garmf
Asternaut

Post by garmf » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi,
You seem to alter between lower and uppercase letters in your HTML Code, every other day. This breaks my tasker script. It is unable to read both at the same time and therefore it only works only about every second day.
Can one of you two nice and awesome editors please change to the other style? :)
I'm assuming it's just you two authors posting rotatory and that you use different PCs.

Thank you for your work with this :)

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 pm

garmf wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm Hi,
You seem to alter between lower and uppercase letters in your HTML Code, every other day. This breaks my tasker script. It is unable to read both at the same time and therefore it only works only about every second day.
Can one of you two nice and awesome editors please change to the other style? :)
I'm assuming it's just you two authors posting rotatory and that you use different PCs.

Thank you for your work with this :)
You could just fix your script to accept either. :?
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

garmf
Asternaut

Post by garmf » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 pm

bystander wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 pm You could just fix your script to accept either. :?
That doesn't seem possible. It's not a real scripting language, nor does it accept regex, I think.

Edit:
Well, OK there was a way, but it took a couple of people a while to figure it out. And I don't understand the solution. XD

I guess there is no need for change anymore. Thank you for your time. :)

Quae
Asternaut

Post by Quae » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Can you please specify the text encoding in the APOD HTML? Today's (January 5, 2020) APOD ("A Starry Night of Iceland") mentions the name of the location where the picture was taken and that name includes non-ASCII characters. The page's HTML does not indicate the text encoding, so my browser had to guess at the text encoding and it guessed wrong, so the name was not legible. If you include a suitable <meta charset="xyz"> element in the HTML (change xyz to the name of the encoding) then browsers don't have to guess and can't get it wrong. Thank you.

NoneYet

Post by NoneYet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to get a verification email - I've tried to register three different email addresses, one gmail - checked the junk folders and main folders, asked for a resend of the verification email.

Any ideas? Pulling my hair out here.

Thanks!

Jamie.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 pm

NoneYet wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm Hi,

I can't seem to get a verification email - I've tried to register three different email addresses, one gmail - checked the junk folders and main folders, asked for a resend of the verification email.

Any ideas? Pulling my hair out here.

Thanks!

Jamie.
Hi, I went ahead and manually activated the account that looks like it could be yours: JamieSythes
You ought to be able to log in with whatever password you gave yourself.

GregT

Post by GregT » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi!

I'm unsure that this question/remark/issue is not reported yet, but the HTML format is purely obsolete on the APOD pages. More precisely, and annoying (for me) the <p> tags don't have a matching </p>. Consequently, it's hard to parse a page for keeping a specific item, like the description (eg. with XQuery/XPath and similar tools)

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:15 am

GregT wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:18 pm I'm unsure that this question/remark/issue is not reported yet, but the HTML format is purely obsolete on the APOD pages. More precisely, and annoying (for me) the <p> tags don't have a matching </p>. Consequently, it's hard to parse a page for keeping a specific item, like the description (eg. with XQuery/XPath and similar tools)
The issue has been raised before. There seems no will to fix the HTML (or to raise it to a more modern standard, to be more precise.)

For your particular issue... I would save the page out to a file and run a script on it using a good programmer’s text editor (I use BBEdit) to fix the tags. Then process the resulting file as per your needs. Yes, this adds a step, but it would work.

Rob

dziban303
Asternaut

Post by dziban303 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 am

I don't really know where to post this, but this thread may be the closest to the issue.

The video for tomorrow's (20 April 2021) APOD has been uploaded to Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PmKca_w0g

Unfortunately, the video bugged and plays at 10 fps. This seems to be an issue with the video itself, as querying with youtube-dl reveals all versions of the video are 10fps: The original video, which can be found here, is a 25fps mp4.

Since the APOD version has evidently been slightly edited, I'm guessing there was an issue when saving the modified video. If anyone can tell me how I can get in touch more directly to let APOD know before the link goes live, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

munpip214

Post by munpip214 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 pm

The RSS feed is missing the title since Jan 2. HTML just shows <title></title>. Thanks

munpip214

Post by munpip214 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 am

Titles came back. Thanks!

munpip214

Post by munpip214 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:57 am

Just kidding. Titles missing from last two again.

dropdell
Asternaut

Post by dropdell » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:35 am

codenamelegion wrote: Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 pm The Apod RSS feed (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod.rssgbwhatsapp) has non UTF-8 characters, yet is declaring itself as UTF-8.

The character in question is as follows on line 26:

"Aurora Over Raufarh�fn "

There are also a lot of non-escaped character data (CDATA) entries.

Thanks for your attention.

-Scott
Thanks for sharing this info which is helpful for me....

munpip214

Post by munpip214 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:52 am

Title tags still missing. Can anyone fix the rss feed please?

johnnydeeptemp2

Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by johnnydeeptemp2 » Sun May 07, 2023 4:04 pm

Hi - I posted about my problem on yesterday's APOD page, but someone flagged it to be deleted, and it got no response. Here's what I wrote as guest user "johnnydeeptemp":
Hi, it's johnnydeep here. I tried to change the email address associated with my account, which I THOUGHT I did successfully (along with changing my password), but something got mucked up and now my account has been deactivated. How do I contact an administrator to reactivate it? I searched the FAQ, but found no solution, just a lot of advice to "contact an administrator" with never a way provided to actually do that!
I still have found no way to "contact an administrator" to resolve my login problem with my long-standing "johnnydeep" id. Note that I only tried changing my email address in order to be able to receive email notifications of APOD post activity, which I have not been getting since mid February. And yes, I checked my "junk" and "spam" and "trash" email folders. Are others having issues getting email notification or is it just me?

Even today, I tried registering as a new account with username "johnnydeeptemp" and have not gotten the account verification email. What the heck is going on?

- John

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Account reactivation and failure to receive email notifications

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 07, 2023 4:09 pm

johnnydeeptemp2 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:04 pm Hi - I posted about my problem on yesterday's APOD page, but someone flagged it to be deleted, and it got no response. Here's what I wrote as guest user "johnnydeeptemp":
Hi, it's johnnydeep here. I tried to change the email address associated with my account, which I THOUGHT I did successfully (along with changing my password), but something got mucked up and now my account has been deactivated. How do I contact an administrator to reactivate it? I searched the FAQ, but found no solution, just a lot of advice to "contact an administrator" with never a way provided to actually do that!
I still have found no way to "contact an administrator" to resolve my login problem with my long-standing "johnnydeep" id. Note that I only tried changing my email address in order to be able to receive email notifications of APOD post activity, which I have not been getting since mid February. And yes, I checked my "junk" and "spam" and "trash" email folders. Are others having issues getting email notification or is it just me?

Even today, I tried registering as a new account with username "johnnydeeptemp" and have not gotten the account verification email. What the heck is going on?

- John
You could try reporting your own post (like this one) and stating the problem in the report. I know admins see those reports, because garbage gets deleted very quickly.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeeptemp2

Post by johnnydeeptemp2 » Sun May 07, 2023 4:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:09 pm
johnnydeeptemp2 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:04 pm Hi - I posted about my problem on yesterday's APOD page, but someone flagged it to be deleted, and it got no response. Here's what I wrote as guest user "johnnydeeptemp":

- John
You could try reporting your own post (like this one) and stating the problem in the report. I know admins see those reports, because garbage gets deleted very quickly.
I guess those same admins don't read this particular "channel" that often?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun May 07, 2023 11:18 pm

johnnydeeptemp2 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:29 pm

- John
johnnydeep has been reactivated. Have you tried it again?
Obviously, the forum email isn't working.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 08, 2023 12:24 pm

bystander wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:18 pm

Yup - I was able to log in. Thanks! I really liked getting the emails as opposed to having to rely on the notifications. Somehow, those aren't as clear to me, and it seems to keep notifying me of the same updates even after I "mark all as read". The email notifications were working as of mid February. It would be really nice to have that working again. Until that time, I'll have to make do. As for my inability to contact an administrator, it would also be good to have the "Contact An Administrator" form NOT be disabled!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 08, 2023 1:40 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:24 pm

Yup - I was able to log in. Thanks! I really liked getting the emails as opposed to having to rely on the notifications. Somehow, those aren't as clear to me, and it seems to keep notifying me of the same updates even after I "mark all as read". The email notifications were working as of mid February. It would be really nice to have that working again. Until that time, I'll have to make do. As for my inability to contact an administrator, it would also be good to have the "Contact An Administrator" form NOT be disabled!
Email notifications are still working just fine. Not sure why you're having a problem, but it isn't system wide.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 08, 2023 2:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:40 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:24 pm
Email notifications are still working just fine. Not sure why you're having a problem, but it isn't system wide.
Hmm. I have a gmail address and it hasn't changed for all my time here at Asterisk. I don't fine the notification emails in the Junk, Spam or Trash folders either. I wonder what's happening to them. There was one time a year ago when I accidentally flagged them as Spam, but that does not seem to have happened this time. Are they still being sent by concam@mtu.edu?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}