40%
APOD is not a blog.
60%

Total votes: 612

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Is APOD a blog?

Post by RJN » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Is APOD a blog? I think there are arguments both for and against. If so, is APOD a good enough blog to be included in "best science blogs" articles such as http://timesonline.typepad.com/science/ ... blogs.html? There, TimesOnline asks
We’d like you to help us us to compile the definitive list, the Top 100 Science Blogs. Send the name and url of your favourites to eureka@thetimes.co.uk, with “Best blogs” in the subject line.
In the past, Jerry and I (APOD's writers) have kept a low profile and not sought out publicity of this type. But your thoughts would be appreciated!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Is APOD a blog?

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 pm

<<The captain's blog is a form of blog entry record keeping that has been around since the first captains sailed Earth's seas in ancient history. The blog is used to inform the captain's superiors of what is happening on a mission and to record historical facts for future generations. In the 21nd century, the day, month and year were used to record dates in blogs. In this period the captain's blog is known i as the captain's starblog.>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:57 pm

I don't think of APOD as a blog. I do think it's good enough to be included in anything, except possibly the batter for yellow cake.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Interesting. Below is Wikipedia's current definition of a blog. Perhaps it will help in the discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog
A blog (a contraction of the term "web log")[1] is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability of readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Point taken; thanks! Point further pushed into my pea brain when I stumbled upon a list of blogs and APOD was on it.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:38 pm

RJN wrote:
A blog (a contraction of the term "web log")[1] is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video.
how does this not apply to apod?

a bit of off topic: the only difference between blog and news site is that former is maintained by little number of people. google doesn't think it's important.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:23 pm

makc wrote:how does this not apply to apod?
Yes, I willingly acquiesced it does; just because I express an opinion doesn't mean 1.) I know what I'm talking about; 2.) I won't change it. :lol:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:39 pm

APOD might be one of the oldest blogs in existence. The only reason to say it's not a blog is because it's not in one of the familiar blog formats but when you look at the content it really is no different than a blog. It's just not a cookie cutter layout.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

fuzzycop
Asternaut

Post by fuzzycop » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm

It seemed like it was a blog when there was a daily link to DIGG, until they removed it about a week ago. Now, it seems that no one is permitted to post comments on the daily pictures. It might be nice to redesign the page so that you have the opportunity to post your comments below the photo and credits on the same page as the APOD photo.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:24 pm

a better idea (with promotion of this place in mind) would be to sample recent comments from a thread and add big "post comment" button with a link that is now used for "discuss".

Ayiomamitis
Science Officer

Post by Ayiomamitis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:01 pm

I personally do NOT see NASA APOD as a blog. The latter is a personal webspace where the owner rambles on and on with personal opinion(s) about one or more topics if and when he feels it is necessary to do so.

What is NASA APOD? In my view, it is a daily graphic newsletter which brings to the foreground the latest news, the latest discoveries, the latest results, the latest theories, the latest phenomenon etc .... there is no personal "opinion" involved strictly due to the nature of the material being presented. Also, it is a great medium for science teachers and teachers in general which can be used educating and inspiring young minds and students. What better way to incite excitement about science and the overhead sky than with stunning photography from manned and unmanned missions, huge ground-based telescopes as well as those in orbit, dedicated and "myopic" amateurs who peruse the nightly sky each available evening etc.
Anthony Ayiomamitis
http://www.perseus.gr

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Ayiomamitis wrote:I personally do NOT see NASA APOD as a blog...
I agree- "newletter" is an excellent term to describe APOD. However, the combination of APOD and The Asterisk form a hybrid that is quite blog-like in nature. Enough so that it might reasonably be listed in an index of science blogs.

(I note that there are two sorts of blogs out there- the kind you mention, where some author rambles on- intelligently or otherwise- and maybe gets a comment or two, and the better sort where the author starts a real conversation, and it gets carried on by a lot of people. APOD/Asterisk falls into that latter category.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Mosbycuz3tr
Asternaut

Post by Mosbycuz3tr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Maybe. If so, I agree with Chris' sorting of type. From my experience of them, I view blogs as little different from rants, some rather caustic, but others on the edge and afraid to be. To owlice my comment is that in the case of Steinmetz, D. H. Pink is wrong. But I will grant that the original Latin, which I'm sorry I do not know, is that the exception proves the exception, not the rule. In closing: Enjoy the height, breadth, and depth of God's universe.

goat
Asternaut

Post by goat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Maybe it should be called a "slog" -- short for science log. Sometimes I feel like there's a lot of info for me to slog through, not that this should be interpreted as a bad thing!

Snowdrops
Asternaut

Post by Snowdrops » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Personally... I dont feel it is

It IS a WONDERFUL resource... full of understandable information ( as opposed to ''rocket science'' ) and it has humour.

That isnt to say blogs dont have both... I just dont see the APoD as a blog.

Ayiomamitis
Science Officer

Post by Ayiomamitis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

goat wrote:Sometimes I feel like there's a lot of info for me to slog through, not that this should be interpreted as a bad thing!
Actually this is one of the great hidden treasures of each APOD, for the links lead to additional material for those interested in greater detail, clarification, justification etc and without taking away from the main course meal (they are similar to the additional and supplementary bibliography at the end of a chapter).

There is no question all of this adds extra work for the folks at NASA APOD but it is well worth it (at least for those who decide to follow-up). :!:
Anthony Ayiomamitis
http://www.perseus.gr

Falcon712
Asternaut

Post by Falcon712 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:13 pm

No It gives the best science info but it does not give it opinion.

WebEngineer
Asternaut

Post by WebEngineer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:55 pm

No. I view a blog as a retrievable written record of personal observations, opinions, and experiences with a chronological organization. I see a blog as the expression of one person, though that person may quote from the works or words of others. And though some blogs provide for feedback, commentary, and dialog they remain focused on one person's viewpoint.

APOD is a wonderful collection displaying the work of many people so maybe we need to coin the term "colog" (collective log) to refer to such systems.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:03 pm

I chose the 'not a blog' option, because I've never considered APOD to be one.

Of course, if you'd like to get more exposure by submitting APOD to 'TimesOnline', for inclusion on their list, then
of course APOD is a blog! :mrgreen:

8-)
Forget the box, just get outside.

Lostinspace
Ensign

Re: Is APOD a blog? (can you imagine how little i care)

Post by Lostinspace » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi: I have been getting my morning "Astronomy Fix" from APOD for several years. That's probably before the term "blog" (which rimes with "clog", "bog", "fog", "frog" and "slog") was ever invented :lol: . Like so many cutesy terms which have popped up on the Internet i wouldn't apply it to APOD. I had never thought of opinion entering into the definition. There are sometimes questions posed (in astronomy what else is new). Maybe an opinion (by somebody) is quoted. However, why not just leave it as is and forget you ever asked the question :evil: :)

By the way, I had never really looked into this "discussion forum" which includes questions and opinions of many. I guess the difference between a discussion forum and a blog is that a blog is of one individual and many may follow that individual's ramblings; just an on-line diary for all to see. They can be long and usually are composed/sent on a computer.

The blog has further now been distilled into "tweets" which are 140 character ("now i lay me down to sleep, if i'm alone i'll really weep") musings and observations that can be entered via several means either stationary or on the go.

I have been "blogging" to myself since i got a computer so i could tell you what i ate and drank for dinner seven years ago, but do you really care?. For that matter, should i?

Regards: Lost

p.s I had to take the time to register (hope i can remember my id and password past next week--if i lose my 3 x 5 card :oops: :). Another facet of World Wide Waster of time :| .

Dr. B.
Asternaut

Post by Dr. B. » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Yes; and a very good one... :D

hstarbuck
Ensign

Post by hstarbuck » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Discussion board yes, reservoir of knowledge yes, entertaining yes, enlightening very much so, blog-like probably, blog no.

larryomiller
Asternaut

Post by larryomiller » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Please, not a blog. More is not necessarily better and I'm tired of the ignorance that I come across on the Internet from individuals. APOD is my first visit of the day and I love it. I'm a retired Professor of Biology and love learning about everything.......except some losers rant about creation, etc.

Lostinspace
Ensign

Re: Is APOD a blog? (unintended benefit to the question)

Post by Lostinspace » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi: You have my earlier opinion on whether it is a blog. In noticing the responses though it is interesting to see how many joined this discussion group today.

Regards: Lost

frank303
Asternaut

Post by frank303 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello,
I see this as a blog, because it post messages on a regular basis, that sort of comment on things. It comments by way of pictures.
I came acros this website because i have this special program for my google browser now that's calles feedly. It organises all my subscriptions to rss feeds from blogs, news and i discovered also it is really very cool to add picture feeds websites i started with the boston big picture, witch also sort of comments on news by way of pictures only. Then i went on to find more picture feeds. Now i add this website, nasa image of the day, architecture pools of flickr and design websites and collages them neatly on one page that make me 'star gaze' at all these pictures !
I can really recommend it! That said, this feed doesn't show all of its pictures on feedly :-( maybe you can do something about that?
thanks and good luck!
Frank - Holland