APOD assessment poll #1

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

The pictures on APOD make me interested in reading the APOD text.

Poll ended at Thu May 17, 2012 1:41 am

Strongly disagree
6%
Disagree
1%
Neither agree nor disagree
2%
Agree
20%
Strongly agree
71%

Total votes: 1737

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

APOD assessment poll #1

Post by owlice » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 am

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

mrs.linda sinha

Re: APOD assessment poll #1

Post by mrs.linda sinha » Mon May 14, 2012 4:56 am

through your work we appreciate how exciting are the times in which we live. the frontiers of knowledge and of mankind are expanding exponentially like they did in the times of columbus and the first elizabeathans. man is stepping out into space and seeking and searching the edges of our universe. you show this to us. thank you indeed.

William Brent

Post by William Brent » Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 am

The daily images and accompanying text are always interesting, and most times truly fascinating. Such beautiful reminders of the wonderful universe that surrounds us. APOD is one of my favorite sites.

SteveWalkey1

Post by SteveWalkey1 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:13 am

Dear APOD Authors

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you that your site helps me to start each day full of wonder at our Universe. APOD is one of the most thoroughly informative and gripping sites I've found in my 3 years of interest in online astronomy. Thank you for providing it for all to see, if only they would look...

Best Wishes

Steve Walkey

Sudhamshu
Ensign

Post by Sudhamshu » Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 am

Dear authors of APOD,
My day on the Internet always begins with APOD. Checking email comes in second. The choice of photographs and its description, to me, are just as important as the numerous hyperlinks that you provide with the text. They have led me to even more fascinating glimpses into our Universe, the technology to observe it and the research to understand it better. You are doing an excellent job. And I hope that you continue doing it for years to come. Minds are awaiting to be sparked into life from what you bring to us.

Regards,
Sudhamshu Hebbar

Smeet

Post by Smeet » Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 am

The best way to get up close and personal with the cosmos. The effort taken in acquiring the pictures and writing the explanations is really appreciated. The day is not complete without visiting APOD. The wonder of the Universe that is and the magic of it all sometimes humbles me almost to tears.Please, please keep up to this. Thank you very much for this. You'll really rock. God bless.

Heath

Post by Heath » Mon May 14, 2012 6:46 am

I start each day looking at the APOD and reading the text and hyperlinks and it means that I start each day in wonder. I have learnt so much from your site and I now have an ongoing interest in astronomy - please continue with the picture and the text.

Ian L

Post by Ian L » Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 am

I just used to look at the (superb) pictures but then started skimming the text. I now read it thoroughly and have followed a number of the links. I am hooked! :)

faith

Post by faith » Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 am

I am a Chinese girl, and I translate APOD into Chinese almost everyday~

It became a very important part of my life since June 7, 2009. I really see the progress you've made through the time!

Wish you all the best and become even better~:)

Faith

Filip

Post by Filip » Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 am

When I was told many years ago about APOD I readed archive from day one. I even store most of the pictures to my personal astronomy picture collection from it.

Thank you to all involved for that.

BTW: Which phpBB MOD you use for this guest posting?

chuck43

Post by chuck43 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 am

excellent graphic displays and texts. As a physics professor once told me, "You have a strong interest in astronomy." And my father quoted, "the more you learn the more you learn what you don't know."

Zorglub

Post by Zorglub » Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 am

I only discovered APOD recently. It is now one of the 'app tabs' my browser opens up with when I start it, and something I keep showing to my children, daily renewing the pleasure of seeing them share my awe.

MrsDK
Asternaut

Post by MrsDK » Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 am

APOD is my home page. Quite often, after studying the picture for a bit, then reading the text, I want to restudy the picture. In my case, in other words, the text makes me want to study the picture as much as the other way around.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon May 14, 2012 10:39 am

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. The images are fascinating; the text is enlightening; the links are informative, engrossing and entertaining.

Keep up the great work!

:thumb_up:
Forget the box, just get outside.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Filip wrote:
BTW: Which phpBB MOD you use for this guest posting?
The forum is plain vanilla — no mods.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Keyman
Ensign

Post by Keyman » Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Like many have said, my "work" day starts early, and yours in the first place I go. It's also one of the few good things about a Monday...I get to tab back through Sunday adn Saturday postings. Three in a day!!! :D

I quite appreciate the explainations in the text. And maybe it's just me, but whoever does the hyperlinks shows a pretty wicked sense of humor at times. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

-Keyman

PS: Have you resolved your funding issue?

EchoesOfNite

Post by EchoesOfNite » Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I love to start my day by looking at the truly awesome (and I do NOT just toss that word around like others do) pictures that you all present to us. The videios not so much, bc my office blocks those; but I always read the article. I love to see what 'shows up' when i click on a highlited word or phrase. I can always count on learning at least one new fact every day when I go to APOD.

Thank you! and Keep up the good - no, make that GREAT - work!

Mr Paul Fields

Post by Mr Paul Fields » Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 pm

If I didn't read the text I wouldn't learn about the astronomy that you do. Astronomy has been a hobby of mine since I was about 10 or 11. And of all the books I've read and even the college class I took I seem to get more from this website than either.

cxd207
Asternaut

Post by cxd207 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Absolutely. A picture can only convey so much information - the text explains what we are looking at, usually in easy to understand terms. I start every day with your site & am always in awe of the beauty and wonder of the universe.

joe spud

Post by joe spud » Mon May 14, 2012 1:29 pm

I too go to APOD first in the AM. It stimulates my mind, and sates my need for astronomy. My eyesight has deteriorated so I can no longer enjoy a telescope, so these large closeups of celestial objects, and the explanations are wonderful. Keep it up.

Deus_Ex_Mamiya
Asternaut

Post by Deus_Ex_Mamiya » Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm

I like the hyperlinks you provide to related info/pics, and will often click 1 or 2 of them out of curiosity.

And I always check out the link to the original source image, to see the tech details of how and where it was acquired, or to see it in higher resolution.

Vinicius Gonçalves

Post by Vinicius Gonçalves » Mon May 14, 2012 2:49 pm

I not only strongly agree but also inform you that since June 1995 I access APOD's, read all texts and going on fllowed all hyperliks that were included as APOD evoluted; I currently maintain a compilation of all APOD's issued, and try to keep all information updated. Regards Vinicius. My adds: vfcg40@yahoocom.br

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon May 14, 2012 3:20 pm

The text accompanying the pictures is essential. This is my home page, first thing I want to see when on the internet. Thank you so much for the interesting explanations and beautiful pictures!

vacuumhead
Asternaut

Post by vacuumhead » Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm

APOD is my home page; I see it every time I start my browser or open a new window. The pictures alone are worthwhile for their raw beauty, but the accompanying text is essential to giving depth and substance to the pictures. Keep up the good work!

redshift

Post by redshift » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

apod is set to be my homepage. as such it starts my day off with wonder and awe, and helps to put everything I will be doing each day into perspective. I enjoy very much reading the descriptions, even though I have to scroll down a bit on my laptop screen. slightly annoying but worth it. it's just enough text to satisfy my curiosity, but not too much that I would not read it at all. please keep!