APOD assessment poll #1

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

The pictures on APOD make me interested in reading the APOD text.

Poll ended at Thu May 17, 2012 1:41 am

Strongly disagree
6%
Disagree
1%
Neither agree nor disagree
2%
Agree
20%
Strongly agree
71%

Total votes: 1737

chanio
Asternaut
AKA: Alberto

Re: APOD assessment poll #1

Post by chanio » Mon May 14, 2012 3:59 pm

:shock: I want to thank you , people, for making me watch with attention, the stars.
:roll: The same that I have been seeing since I was born.
:oops: But today, I spend hours looking at them, trying to remember what you have commented,
imagining more that can be observed at plain sight by what you have showed us
and dreaming that one day I would be able to reach some of the wonders that live beyond our tiny little blue dot. Image
:idea: So, THANK YOU!
Last edited by chanio on Mon May 14, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon May 14, 2012 4:07 pm

I'd actually like MORE words. Some of the images beg for more explanation and detail.

BunnySando

Post by BunnySando » Mon May 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey guys love APOD...one thing I would change is the layout of the accompanying text...In any layout featuring text whether print or web is that you should make the length of the text between 65-72 characters(including spaces) wide then move to the next line. This is just a general design principle used in most everything you read...especially magazines, newspapers and books, it also works well on the web. It will create a taller layout, but will be easier to read for most viewers.

1928Durant

Post by 1928Durant » Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Obviously, you have a large and enthusiastic following of which I am proud to be a member. Every day I look forward to APOD !

Dick Stacy

slee

Post by slee » Mon May 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I love APOD. I don't use it to start my day, I save it for either my mid-morning or mid-afternoon break, usually about the time I need something just completely different from my daily work.
I've learned a lot about many different images, and have to say I love the links to the puns or jokes or not-quite-scientific images!

fabianm

Post by fabianm » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 pm

APOD is a window to the mighty universe that combines both the amazing beauty of the sky and precise theoretical information, all of it coated in a sometimes-humourus-and-always-filled-with-interesting-links writing! Sometimes the explanations are somewhat out of reach for beginners, but what's best for gaining interest in the topic? Thanks to all the staff at APOD!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Obviously not only do many people read the text, but they follow the links as evidenced by the response here and over 250 new likes on facebook yesterday.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chaotic Yak

Post by Chaotic Yak » Mon May 14, 2012 8:55 pm

If I know what the image is, I'm less likely to read the accompanying text in its entirety. I always like to know how the image was made, the wavelengths, etc. But if I know what it is, then I'll be more likely to enjoy the picture and skim over the text.

daniel Irwin

Post by daniel Irwin » Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm

This is the first site I hit every day. I've forwarded the web address to EVERYONE I e-mail. Even people I haven't heard from in a while. I've received nothing but positive responses. I've had an interest Astronomy from when I watched Neil Armstrong step foot on the Moon. I was 9 years old at the time. I just recently went through some old things at my parents house. Found all the newspaper clippings bound with cardboard and string that I had saved from before they lifted off until they landed safely back on Earth. Don't we all wonder what else is "out there"?

Post by Guest » Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 pm

The text can be informative; but I honestly can't stand the way some of them begin with a question. I try not to read those, in order not to be annoyed. The ones that don't begin with a question seem more intelligent and informative in general. Many expositions are loaded with certain questionable assumptions (e.g. the big bang theory), or skip beauty in order to emphasize the technical, but that is okay.

John Prior

Post by John Prior » Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 pm

This kind of very worthwhile information on the subject of the universe helps one grow closer to understanding one's position in the whole and thus being at peace.

James Heggie

Post by James Heggie » Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm astonished that there was any doubt about how informative APOD is (and has been) over these many years. I first 'discovered' APOD in October 1995 and have been following it's offerings ever since. It wasn't long until APOD became a site I visited with increasing frequency, and by 1997 it had become the permanent home page for my browser. For the last 15 years APOD has been the first thing I see -- and read -- every day. The information, links, and detail contained in the write-up that accompanies these images has been a wonderful education for me and has fueled an interest in astronomy that continues to this day. Without APOD, and the commentary that comes with these amazing images, I might not have ever become as fascinated with the cosmos as I am now. The story continues beyond me, for I have shared the site with friends and members of my family and nephews and nieces (and now great nephews and great nieces) and it has become an integral part of what we share together and talk about and, in short, APOD has become a component to the education of two generations (and counting) for this proud Uncle. I was thrilled when I learned that I could also receive APOD by email -- a very useful feature for me -- and I also share them widely with others who in turn share them with their children, and on and on it goes. My hat is off to the considerable efforts made by everyone behind-the-scenes at APOD. Yes, the images are remarkable. YES, we read the write-up that comes with them, and YES, we learn and grow and marvel because of your efforts and your willingness to share what you know with others. With each passing day you plant a new seed of knowledge in a garden that flourishes because of you.

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 am

Have been visiting APOD every day since 2004 (when we first got the internet.) Thank you for making each day more interesting.

RJGjr

Post by RJGjr » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 am

Each day begins in wonder. For ten years I have visited APOD. I love exploring the picture. The story text always lead to further understanding. Keep at it !!!

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 am

Since I'm on a slow dialup internet connection, I don't spend much time surfing ~~ it's too frustrating. BUT, I do follow APOD!!

I see the daily picture first but read both the text AND the Asterisk comments with great interest to make sense of the pictures. Then I go back-n-forth from the text and Asterisk to the picture several times.

I am so grateful that APOD is maintained ~~ it has fascinating material that otherwise I wouldn't know about. I also love that so many people come to the APOD and Asterisk websites every day and share their thoughts.

Mizar
Ensign

Post by Mizar » Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 am

I've had the APOD set as my homepage for about 4 years. I've always read the text too in order to know something about the picture. It's an awesome window into the universe!

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Tue May 15, 2012 3:55 am

APOD is my daily golden gate to the infinity and eternity. To the whole world of Astronomy, Astrophysics and Space Technology.

Thanks APOD, thanks NASA for the free tickets; the pictures and explanations. And the links:
APOD is usually my NSI (NASA Standard Initiator) to ignite the booster for extended surfing trips in the Web space.
:eyebrows: :P
The worst scientific finding of mankind: "Everything points to eternal darkness being the ultimate fate of the Universe. Sorry about that." (cit. Chris L Peterson, APOD)

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Tue May 15, 2012 2:34 pm

I always read the explanations mainly because I like to learn about these objects. I would like you to keep it up with the site and the explanations and links. Thank you!
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

jimbernie

Post by jimbernie » Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 am

I have been enjoying the apod for years. I like to start each day by viewing the new picture or video and reading the text and /or links associated with that day's offering. I have learned a great deal from the apod.
Thank you and keep up the good work.

DonSmith

Post by DonSmith » Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 am

I have been visiting this site for at least 10 years because of the pictures and the very good write-ups that accompany them. The pictures don't make me read the text. The pictures are the visual aid for the real meat of the APOD, the explanations and the links provided. Therefore, I had to disagree with your poll question.

Thank you so much for doing the APOD,
Don

deecee47

Post by deecee47 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:36 pm

For me, the text would be easier to read if it didn't go from the far left of the screen to the far right...maybe only about 100 characters wide instead : )
Love this site; I check it almost daily.

500pesos
Ensign

Post by 500pesos » Wed May 23, 2012 9:17 am

Your site is totally awesome. I can't say whether the images or the caption is more important, they compliment each other. And they are both of such impeccable quality. Proof, I have been visiting APOD since 1998; I start the day with it (and a cup of coffee); almost all my desktop images are from APOD. So, if ever I was presented with the choice either the image or the caption, ... no I wouldn't be able to choose - and I would be a sad sad panda.

v13
Ensign

Post by v13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:33 pm

APOD is a perfect combination of pictures and text. The picture is the most impressive part of the page at first. The text is great and the hyperlinks provide additional information. Text is excellent, sometimes poetic[1] and even mind-blowing[2]. Hyperlinks allow for much more information without clattering the page.

It's not a coincidence that so many people love it. Please keep it exactly as-is.

And again, thanks for all these years! I believe that our lives would be much different with fewer interests and far less imagination without APOD. It's a gateway to something beyond everyday life[3]. I don't believe there are words to express the feelings for APOD.

[1] http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap980101.html
[2] http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap030212.html
[3] http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap040309.html

p.s. IMO APOD is the Google of astronomy pages. The design has many similarities and the simplicity is a very strong plus.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:13 pm

I would put it slightly differently: Google is the APOD of search engine pages. :ssmile: Other than that, agree with everything you said!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

RichieP

Post by RichieP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 am

Thank you for providing these stunning images and text explaining what we are seeing. I always look forward to get at least 2 of my bazillion emails and the pics make great screen backgrounds!!