APOD assessment poll #4

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Viewing APOD has increased my interest in NASA.

Poll ended at Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Strongly disagree
6%
Disagree
2%
Neither agree nor disagree
4%
Agree
26%
Strongly agree
62%

Total votes: 1725

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD assessment poll #4

Post by RJN » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

craigmcnaught

Re: APOD assessment poll #4

Post by craigmcnaught » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 am

I love this site, and tell all my friends about it. Periodically, I save pictures and use them for my wallpaper.

Moyra

Post by Moyra » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:36 am

Astronomy Picture of the Day is a visual delight I go to every day. It transports me to the wonders of the heavens. :)

jvv

Post by jvv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 am

To be honest with you, my interest in NASA has not changed much. It has always been very high. What APOD has done, is provide much better AWARENESS and ACCESS to interesting areas at NASA, and Very interesting astronomy photos. And that is not a small thing!

Many decades ago, a high school friend ground his own mirror, and we spent one night freezing our toes shooting photos of a lunar eclipse, which I developed that night. My toes and the weakness of the telescopes put an end to my participation in first hand astronomy, not my interests. I actually took a course in astronomy some four years later, enjoyed the textbooks, but dreaded those freezing telescope nights. To freeze my toes for a few specks of light on a cheap telescope owned by a two bit university? When the textbooks show much more interesting photos from places like Palomar?

I visit your site almost every night since the mid 1990's, and my toes don't complain! You guys are wonderful! Absolutely Wonderful!!!

thenek0689

Post by thenek0689 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 am

I am relatively new to the APOD site, only having been introduced this past January by my Astronomy Professor--whom has had a few APODs himself. I love the site. It is my inspiration to dive into astrophotography and learn more "behind the scenes" for each picture I see. I have save every picture since January of this year and have got back a couple of years looking at all the photos. They are all filled with wounder and amazement.

Elizabeth Sasse

Post by Elizabeth Sasse » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 am

first site that I open every morning. Learn a lot! :D

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:50 am

This site is an utter joy. It starts every day for me and changes my desktop background three times a month!

Absolutely wonderful.

stroudsunflower

Post by stroudsunflower » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:28 am

Moyra wrote:Astronomy Picture of the Day is a visual delight I go to every day. It transports me to the wonders of the heavens. :)
I totally agree with your comments, Moyra. It is always a wonder and I have given the link to all my grandchildren and to many friends and to those that I know who are doing Art Therapy and Veil painting- such inspiration!

alnuge

Post by alnuge » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:58 am

I think the 'strongly disagree" votes are in error because that option is at the top.
Could you add a Facebook 'Like' option?

Derrick Watt

Post by Derrick Watt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 am

NASA itself seems to be in some turmoil at present so I'm not sure that APOD has increased my interest in the organisation.
But APOD is brilliant - the pictures are a daily treat worth looking forward to.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 am

I view APOD first thing every morning; it puts life into perspective and never fails to make me grateful to be here to see such wondrous things. What a universe!

culuriel

Post by culuriel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks APOD! I visit every morning, and learn something new everyday!

tim2

Post by tim2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 am

Great site and WONDERFUL PICTURES. Very inspiring,

mrcoquina

Post by mrcoquina » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 am

APOD is a very pleasurable and informative way to start the day. Many times the pictures have sent me on a journey to learn more of the subject. Frequently, this includes visits to NASA sites for photos and information about the mission that acquired them, which, naturally, leads me to another branch on the tree of knowledge.
The links in the caption increase my knowledge of the planet as well as the heavens. Thank you APOD and NASA.

COL Howell

Post by COL Howell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 am

I visit your website every day to gaze upon the wonders of the cosmos. Exploration and education about the heavens inspires hope in me. Please continue.

BobGillette

Post by BobGillette » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am

APOD is always the second website I check every morning -- after local weather. It's one of the Internet's true gems.

Ron Heintz

Post by Ron Heintz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm

While I have always been interested in NASA and Space Science, APOD keeps that interest fresh and expanding.

bobmacw

Post by bobmacw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

There is one thing I see missing on the APOD page - a durable link for re-posting. There are many great APODs that I want to share, and in so doing get other people interested. But it seems the only way to do this is to wait until it's archived, and share the archive link. But maybe I'm just not seeing it.
Keep up the great work.

smitty
Science Officer

Post by smitty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Ron Heintz wrote:While I have always been interested in NASA and Space Science, APOD keeps that interest fresh and expanding.
Well said. This question is very much like your earlier question which asked whether APOD has increased our interest in science. Frankly, I think it's a poorly worded question . . . somewhat along the lines of, "have you stopped beating your wife, yes or no?" Probably most who visit APOD regularly are already interested in science and NASA, but we enjoy staying abreast of things and being reminded about our place in the grand scheme of the universe.

Dave GAD

Post by Dave GAD » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I voted "Agree" and not "Strongly Agree" as APOD has not so much peaked my interest in NASA but science and space in general. I believe it has broadened my interests in more then just NASA itself. I enjoy following a lot of the links that are included in the story line to get a better understanding of the "lesson that day". APOD has been my home page since discovering it in 1995 within a few weeks of me obtaining the internet. I can probably say Robert Nemiroff & Jerry Bonnell are responsible for me purchasing a modest 8" telescope with which I've had many interesting evenings of observing. I must also include Dr. Tony Phillips in this class of dedicated, inspirational people also as "Spaceweather" is also a favorite that leads me to many wonderful science links too.

This site is a delight. All I can say is: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

flsfst

Post by flsfst » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:06 pm

It's great; but we could help spread the word if the text could be forwarded with the graphics.

ellesmith
Ensign
AKA: Smith

Post by ellesmith » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes and yes ! APOD is the best thing since sliced bread and part of my toast and coffee each morning, it is one of my MAC Dashboard Widgets and so it appears first thing so I rarely miss it. Thanksomuch ! 8-)

Orion161

Post by Orion161 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:34 pm

I have set APOD as my desktop background. I share some entries with my family. It keeps me updated about NASA and astronomy in general, and reminds me about the beauty and grandeur out there. Keep it up.

zorts

Post by zorts » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

APOD hasn't increased my interest in NASA because I was ALREADY very interested in NASA. But that doesn't mean I don't love APOD!

KarenP

Post by KarenP » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm

I voted "disagree" because I don't see APOD as being about NASA - it's about astronomy and science and the universe and displaying and explaining the wonders therein. NASA is just one means to that end, and I thank them for sponsoring this to whatever extent that they do so. I don't actually support much else of what NASA seems to want to keep as its foremost efforts, or at least what gets the most press ... the ISS and "men on Mars" are silly goals and waste enormous money, while all the wonderful telescopes and robotic space exploration devices are doing the useful work and enabling the real discoveries. IMHO - you might even say that APOD has increased my frustration with NASA for focusing on the wrong things. I've had APOD as my home page on all my computers since the mid-90's, and it provided almost all my wallpaper as well, and I've learned a huge amount from this site.