APOD's main NASA site
77%
a smartphone app
2%
an APOD non-English mirror site
2%
the Asterisk, APOD's discussion board
1%
Other (if you would like, please explain below)
12%

Total votes: 1576

Rowan54
Asternaut

Re: APOD assessment poll #5

Post by Rowan54 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I have a link in my favorites on my browser and visit it, after the news & comics, every morning.

I always did like astronomy, but I think I liked to look at the pretty pictures rather than go out with a telescope...these are perfect, keep them coming.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I have an APOD Viewer widget on the dashboard (MacOS X) on my Apple laptop, and its gives me the first dose of inspiration every morning.

GazeboGal

Post by GazeboGal » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Ditto Bob Jopson,
The first thing I run to see every morning - before coffee!

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Another vote for a home page in my browser. Thanks for using the same URL. It is a great way to start the morning. Take care.

New Anon

Post by New Anon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Have had APOD in my bookmarks for years, check it every day

uawxman

Post by uawxman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 pm

APOD is my homepage.

mailman1175

Post by mailman1175 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 pm

It's the homepage on all my browsers: mobile Android devices and desktop. I like the idea of utilizing NASA's app to update my phone's wallpaper to each day's APOD, but since the P part of APOD is taken with some liberty (today's YouTube video, for example), it doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory.

balibway

Post by balibway » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I have the Astronomy Picture of the Day as my home page, so I see the daily photo every time I sign on.

meanolmaw
Asternaut

Post by meanolmaw » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 pm

someone sent me to APOD from the Science/Astronomy pages on Yahoo Answers... whatever it was back then, I loved it, so I made a shortcut to the site with a right click to my desktop and there it stays.... accessed daily.....

ThatSeattleGuy

Post by ThatSeattleGuy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Ditto having APOD in my bookmarks bar.

(The poll question and choices are rather oddly worded and I'm not sure you're going to get useful responses to this one.)

Space Dawg

Post by Space Dawg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:19 pm

On all of my PCs, work and home, Linux and Windows, my homepage in Firefox opens two or three Tabs with APOD on top :shock: (the others are different e-mail accounts, my work, weather). --Steve

Space Dawg

Post by Space Dawg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm

As I was saying above, I love it. The only problem I have is my office blocks YouTube, otherwise we would NEVER get any work done! :roll: !

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:31 pm

APOD is my home page. I see it first thing everymoring! :)

Clint.3.141592

Post by Clint.3.141592 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:38 pm

I hit 5 or 10 sites in the morning as a way to get started at work. APOD is normally on that list of normal morning starters. (If I don't hit APOD, you can be sure there is some sort of problem going on in my day.)

I cast another vote in support of Bob Jopson's comments on the matter of the URL and consistent URL nomenclature.

As for APOD and the various genre' which you feature day-by-day, my favorites and preferences are (in order)...

-1- Clear, distinct, and detailed photographs of individual stars, galaxies or nebulas (nebulae, for the spell checker).

-2- Clear, distinct, and detailed photographs of groups of galaxies in the same photo

-3- The up-close pics of the various planets of this solar system

-4- Up-close pictures of the moons of the other planets

-5- Up-close pictures of our own moon

-6- Studies of our own sun

-7- Pictures of the moon or sun with the earth as part of the photo

-8- Pictures of our own planet earth from outer space

-10- Photographs of the physical tools that are used for space research

-11- Photo-shooped conglomerates of multiple galaxies

-12- Pics of an eclipse; Solar or Lunar

-13- Pictures of the sky full of stars from the earth

-14- Landscapes with the moon or sun rising or setting or whatever

-15- Pictures that are really weather and meteorology

-16- Artists' conjecture of what something might look like

-17- Photographs that don't have anything to do with outer space, NASA, etc.

Item #10 includes rocket ships and the space shuttle and the 747 that shuttles the shuttle around town and so on.

Item #17 is up for personal opinion, but I think the people on the APOD site know what I'm describing, as does every other person who regularly views this site.

Incidentally, you are receiving all this feedback; and I'll guess that, most probably, they originate from two main sub-groups of society: [1] old people who like science, and [2] the younger high-IQ college and military types.

That's great that APOD can form a bridge between these two disparate groups, but,,,,

Your real value is in stimulating the minds of children.

nancy

Post by nancy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:51 pm

It's my home page - a tradition that some of my kids carry on. I get the Facebook postings, too.

Regine

Post by Regine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Apod is my first bookmark and the first page I view in the morning. Thanks for sharing views...out of this world! Truly "AWE" inspiring.

Vallej

Post by Vallej » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:16 pm

I used Chrome, I have all my computers syncronitzed. The Apod is my home page from ten years ago!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Benjamin Disraeli

Post by Benjamin Disraeli » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:17 pm

As others have mentioned, I have it set as my homepage on my desktop and laptop, so it is the first page I see when I open my browser.

n8foo
Asternaut

Post by n8foo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:29 pm

I wanted to make sure I get APOD daily. So, I set up a little script that converts the web page to an email and sends it out daily. I have about 15 other people that also wanted this as well, so add a couple to my vote of 'other'. :-)

np1810

Post by np1810 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Awesome App to browse APoD automatically... :D :) :o
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... -Day.shtml
Probably, a Must-Have for APoD lovers. It's an APoD Viewer, Wallpaper Changer & Downloader. Description: It can be resized to your needs and could be placed at desktop as a Windows Sidebar gadget or use it as an Automatic Wallpaper changer. 'AmazeME' feature that randomly loads an image from APoD site. Gives explanation of each image with browsable hypertext links. Use the Calendar to view a Specific date image. Apply the currently viewing high resolution image available as Wallpaper in "Stretch, Center, Tile, Fit, Fill" mode. Ponder on the beauty of Universe(Multiverse?) in Fullscreen. Also it can save the highest resolution image in My Pictures folder. Has keyboard events such as "Escape key" to exit Fullscreen, Left-Right arrow keys to browse Previous-Next images respectively. Shows proper Tooltips to assist at each instance. Other settings include: Start with Windows, Stay Topmost, Minimize to System Tray, Set manual Opacity for gadget mode. Shows next scheduled wallpaper update, Can change wallpaper in ( 1 - 1439 ) mins using AmazeME feature or switch wallpapers each day with new Image of the day. Choose your desired wallpaper mode i.e. "Stretch, Center, Tile, Fit, Fill" mode. If APoD is a video, it gives a Youtube Link. It has an efficient error handling. Moreover, due to "Power Outage that affected APoD from July 1, 2012", included the UK APoD mirror site to provide uninterrupted APoD images. Compressed and minimal coding, TRANSLATION option to translate image title and explanation, can retrieve Precise time from Internet to prevent errors, if system clock is incorrect and Registration option to support its users, if they encounter any errors/bugs.

Wil

Post by Wil » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 pm

APOD is at the top of my bookmark list, and is always an inspiring and awesome way to start my day. To be living in an age where one can see actual photos of the planets, stars, galaxies is a complete thrill. When I was a kid I marvelled at artists' conceptions of these things, and when Viking and Voyager (not to omit the Apollo missions) began giving us photographic evidence of the wonders of the heavens, I was totally enthralled. Now with Hubble and other sophisticated systems exploring the furthest reaches of the universe and its mysteries and beauty, it is truly a miraculous age. Our universe is so amazing and beautiful, and to think this is all in the three spacial dimensions (and time dimension) perceptible to us! The mind boggles at what there could be in dimensions outside our human perception! I thank APOD and NASA for bringing us these daily wonders!

silby

Post by silby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:33 pm

RSS feed in Google reader

hjandhparker@aol.com

Post by hjandhparker@aol.com » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:37 pm

One of the first things I do with the computer each day is to click once on the APOD icon on my taskbar. If the image particularly appeals to me, with a couple more clicks I make it my wallpaper for a while, until another spectacular one comes along. This is most appealing to me. I occasionally go deeper into your files, when I have time. This is my main contact with astronomy and cosmology now, and I love it. I'd be very disappointed if it were not continued.

I'm retired from a career in nuclear medicine, and keep contact with a variety of science topics mainly through Wikipedia now, but also with a variety of other websites. APOD is at the top of my list. I tell other people to find your site by just googling "astronomy picture of the day", and they have no trouble with that, even if it's learned in the middle of a cocktail party.

jms

Post by jms » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Like many of the others who have already commented, APOD is my homepage and the first thing I see on the internet every morning. However, I also start every one of my astronomy classes with a brief discussion of whatever is up that day. From the student evaluations, this has consistently been the most popular part of the course.

Derek_J

Post by Derek_J » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:58 pm

I have a script that runs very early in the morning that sets my desktop wallpaper to the current APOD, so it's the first thing I see when I sit down at my computer. I'll usually go to the main APOD site later to figure out just exactly what it was that I'd been looking at all day.

Video APODs, like today's wonderful Dancing one, don't work. Occasionally there's an APOD that's interesting but isn't well suited for wallpaper. For a while my script was rotating portrait-oriented APODs to Landscape, but it turned out that that failed more than it succeeded. But most of the time it works very well.

Thanks!

-Derek