80-89
2%
90-116
0%

Total votes: 4591

dsk

Re: APOD assessment poll #9

Post by dsk » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Love the site. It has been my home page for over 10 years. I also download the pictures and save them as my screen saver. Intermixed with pictures of my family. It is fun to see some of the old pictures and I actually remember what it is a picture of. I can actually identify quite a few of the nebula, moons, planets, and minor planets, at a glance.
Thanks again :)

slavabor

Post by slavabor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:43 pm

APOD is great thing!!
I like to look pictures on APOD every day.
I wish you prosperity!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm

I get up up in the morning and check out the site before I head off to work. Every day!

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Cracking website! Have been reading it for years and years and years...

Also the source of many of my PC wallpapers! Currently sporting a shot of the surface of Mars.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 pm

My son (11 yrs) and I both love this site! We check it daily, and love learning more on the links. I love that there is so much variety on the links: it really has something for everyone! Karen.

dfwindsor

Post by dfwindsor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Many years ago, I made this site the home page for my browser. I'm never disappointed.

flyhieagle1011

Post by flyhieagle1011 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Astronomy is one of the courses I attended at Maui College, and Professor John Pye made it
so interesting to continue my interest in our universe. APOD is one of my "Favorites". The
students in this class visited the Haleakala Observatory, and we were so impressed with the
types of telescopes at the summit. Please, continue your excellent photos and articles.
Thank you.

cbak

Post by cbak » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Great job guys! I look forward to this site each day when I turn on my computer and frequently forward images to my son and grandsons. I've been interested in astromomy for many years and these images are far superior to anything I can obtain with my small telescope.

PCroy

Post by PCroy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I have been interested in space and NASA since the '50's. The APOD images are so very interesting and beautiful. Keep up your excellent work.

Paul De Longe

Post by Paul De Longe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Favorite website - thank you so much. What a wonderful universe we live in!

daddy-o

Post by daddy-o » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:39 pm

nickles2u wrote:I'm wondering if the large percentage of viewers in the 50-69 age range is due to the fact the we grew up with the space race and consequently have a greater interest in astronomy than those in other age groups.
That's a good reason to have another manned space race... The human-risk element of venturing beyond Earth orbit is no longer there although we are doing quite amazing things still, and any thrill has to complete with children's film which has turned pretty violent in the last decade.

Programs (like Sally Ride did in San Diego https://sallyridescience.com/) that set up teachers for instruction - maybe sponsored by the state - and requiring teachers to show live landing events on Mars for example would be great. Of course scheduling landings like that might be a bit difficult or nearly impossible but you may only need to see one event to get you interested enough. Adding more media elements to give people the sense of being there is great, even the sound of the rocket motors firing before landing and any wind. It'll cost a lot more to send that rate of data live but public support might be that much higher, and they seemed to have gotten much more on the last landing.

tronhead

Post by tronhead » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Like many others, I start my day with this site. Galaxies are my favourite! Multiverse theories also.

Vitilina

Post by Vitilina » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm

THANK YOU for this site!!! It's the best thing that ever happened online for me :) It makes me smile every morning. I have it bookmarked and click on it first thing when I wake up. I'm 41, but I also show it to my 7 year-old son every day. He loves astronomy. THANKS for the work you put on it. Pictures are amazing and the explanations are so educational. I like the fact that within the explanations there are links to previous years' images. AWESOME SITE!!!

jiharmer

Post by jiharmer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I've been an apod'er for many years. So many that I remember when the pictures used to be very small, and standard VGA (640x480 pixels) was considered pretty hot stuff.
Like many others here, it's one of my default web pages.

EPolidan

Post by EPolidan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm

This has been my home page for years! Thank you!

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm

I visit the site every day. Thank you for making the Opera Browser extension too.

louconover

Post by louconover » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:02 pm

It's on my daily list. If I miss it I make a point of going back through and catching up. My desktop wallpaper is randomly selected from images that I've captured and cropped to fit. I'm a high school teacher and use my lap top quite extensively in class, and my wallpaper images almost always get comments.

Lifelong-er

Post by Lifelong-er » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm lazy and forgetful, so I created a scheduled task to open APOD at 2 PM daily on my work computer. I get my WOW moment every afternoon. :D

dbplatt

Post by dbplatt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:00 pm

APOD is my browser homepage, so I get to see it every day.

cdkinAK

Post by cdkinAK » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 pm

RJN wrote:Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the answer that best gives the present decade of your age. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!
I love the site and try never to miss a day (thanks for the archive btw!). Personal assessment of the age demographic indicates to me that your most ardent followers were around during the space race and the moon missions that so captured the nation's interest and imagination. I wonder if we'll ever have a manned mission to Mars? We need something like that to energize the nation!

SpaceNut

Post by SpaceNut » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 pm

You guys are awesome! I love this site and the pictures! Thank you so much!

BobT

Post by BobT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I have been following APOD for almost 10 years and have seen every single one of the pictures by going through the archive. I miss it if I don't visit every day.

Michael McClard

Post by Michael McClard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:42 am

APOD has been my home screen from day one. Still amazed.

K1IJ

Post by K1IJ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 am

I've been a viewer since day 2. Would not miss a day. It has been a big part of my informal "education" over the years. Caused me to watch the sky, try pointing my camera at the sky and finding things I never saw with my eyes. APOD simply is the best! Thank You.

Peter Braun

Post by Peter Braun » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 am

I visit the site nearly every day and often forward the images to selected friends.